Z726 Zero Turn FX801V

719F250

Equipment
Z726
May 1, 2024
MIssouri
I have a Z726 zero turn mower with the Kawasaki FX801V. After mowing for about anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes, it starts to stall and cut out. Choking will keep it running for a bit until it just dies out. After sitting for awhile, runs fine and then starts the process all over again. I initially changed the fuel pump and same issue. Changed the electronic fuel cut-off and same issue. Put on an electric fuel pump with an auxiliary fuel tank and same issue. Any ideas?

Curious... is the line going to the charcoal canister a vacuum or pressure? Any issues with disconnecting it?

Mmanders6

Equipment
BX1880, ZG227
May 1, 2024
Houston, TX
Is gas getting to the carb when it cuts out? If you disconnect the line before it cools off is it a good flow or just a trickle? Could be a plugged up fuel filter, tank vent or debris in the tank itself.

If the gas is flowing fine then I would suspect an ignition coil.

719F250

Equipment
Z726
May 1, 2024
MIssouri
I used a completely separate fuel tank with an electric pump to rule out the existing system. Still did it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there is a fuel shutoff valve on top/rear of the tank. Remove it. If it has a screen on it, good-see if it's dirty. If not, grab your air hose with a blow gun on it and blow backwards through the valve/pickup tube and see what comes out.

line from charcoal canister is atmospheric pressure only. All the canister does is to allow fuel vapors to be absorbed into the "charcoal" which keeps the fumes from getting to the atmosphere. It's not an active system, more passive.

719F250

Equipment
Z726
May 1, 2024
MIssouri
there is a fuel shutoff valve on top/rear of the tank. Remove it. If it has a screen on it, good-see if it's dirty. If not, grab your air hose with a blow gun on it and blow backwards through the valve/pickup tube and see what comes out.

line from charcoal canister is atmospheric pressure only. All the canister does is to allow fuel vapors to be absorbed into the "charcoal" which keeps the fumes from getting to the atmosphere. It's not an active system, more passive.
I used a separate fuel pump and tank, bypassing the factory system, and it still did it. What else could cause the engine to cut and die?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gas engines need 3 things
gas, which you have
spark, questionable..
timing, which is good

I'm thinking the magneto(s) get hot and fail. Cooling down they 'heal' and you can restart/run until they get hot and fail, again.
Checked online, about $100 each.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I used a separate fuel pump and tank, bypassing the factory system, and it still did it. What else could cause the engine to cut and die?
i have done the same and it failed me. Not saying your method didn't work, it was just a fluke in my case

when it dies on the nurse tank is it for sure running out of fuel? Have you tried spraying a little carb cleaner down it's throat when it dies? If it fires off, you have a fuel starvation issue for sure.

had a few stop solenoids fail too, though not common. I "have" modified them in the past for testing purposes. No I ain't telling you how to do it.