YATF

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yet another third function outlet. I am in the process of adding this to the LA525. Would have finished it today but I ran put of tube nuts and sleeves....

Two things that are a little different on this one are the one hand push/pull connect under pressure couplers which are mounted on a DPOCV.

Dan

View attachment 125038

View attachment 125039
What kind of ferrule/nut arrangement is this?
Screenshot_20240411-144517-774.png
I was looking on Discount Hydraulic's website and saw some nuts and braze-on ferrules, but I couldn't figure out what fittings they mate to.

I have this grand plan to run 3rd function hard lines down my loader arms. I have the four for the FEL I took off that were all bent up where they went across the cross tube. So I was thinking about cutting the bottoms off of two of them and brazing something on to install QC's. The tops already have #6 JIC, so I can run short hoses to my valve.

I like the mounting block you have. I might can do something similar. It's pretty crowded down there with the lines, hoses, and bucket leveling linkage. And I still need to be able to swing the grill guard down.

Attachments

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Those are standard JIC 37 degree flare tube nuts and sleeves. They mate to male JIC fittings.
Dan
OK, that would be the 27165 right? All I found before was the FS319 ORFS, which I couldn't figure out. If I wanted a male JIC like the existing, could I drill the threads out of a 1/4" FPT adapter and braze it ok? Thanks
Screenshot_20240411-154929-206.png

Screenshot_20240411-155126-603.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK, thanks. I see them now. I didn't realize my flare tool might handle steel line.

I handled miles of process and power piping in my first career, considerable sanitary tubing in my second, and flared, double-flared and compression mixed in, but hydraulic is kinda new for me.
You need a 37^ flaring tool - specific to hydraulic applications. Most commercial and automotive is 45".

Watch out for the cheap ones with conical anvils - thet dont handle steel tube well. You want one with an eccentric anvil - much better flares with a lot less muscle. Here is whst I have. It works great on 1/2" and smaller. Have not tried anything larger.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You need a 37^ flaring tool - specific to hydraulic applications. Most commercial and automotive is 45".

Watch out for the cheap ones with conical anvils - thet dont handle steel tube well. You want one with an eccentric anvil - much better flares with a lot less muscle. Here is whst I have. It works great on 1/2" and smaller. Have not tried anything larger.

Dan
Thanks, probably back to brazing.

Mikeymotorbikey

Equipment
B2601
Jun 30, 2022
North Branch, Minnesota
Seems we're on the same wave-length Dan. Mine's not as sophisticated as yours though.
I went with the Rigid flaring tool and a HF bender.
Had this all laid out with hoses then remembered the bunch of scrap tubes I had laying around.
Steel tubes down the loader arm and from the solenoid valve behind the loader valve to the QDs near the loader connection.
It would have been easier to just run hoses but what's the fun in that!

20240412_133257.jpg 20240412_125531.jpg 20240412_125638.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Seems we're on the same wave-length Dan. Mine's not as sophisticated as yours though.
I went with the Rigid flaring tool and a HF bender.
Had this all laid out with hoses then remembered the bunch of scrap tubes I had laying around.
Steel tubes down the loader arm and from the solenoid valve behind the loader valve to the QDs near the loader connection.
It would have been easier to just run hoses but what's the fun in that!

View attachment 126208 View attachment 126207 View attachment 126209
Sophisticated schumisticated. Looks nice to me and IMO worth the effort. I had hoses initially and not nearly as tidy.

Hope you got your flaring tool before the price went north. I was flabbergasted when I saw the current ransom....

Dan

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Hard line looks good.

FYI you can find a 37* flairing tool for less than the link Hokie shared.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hard line looks good.

FYI you can find a 37* flairing tool for less than the link Hokie shared.

Have you used that tool? Keep in mind you are not flaring soft copper water or NiCu brake lines.

As I said earlier there are two different flaring technologies.

The ones like the Speedway have.a traditional plumbing/brake line cone style anvil that is centered in the tubing and forced straight down by the screw. They are less expensive and there are plenty of them around.

The Rigid type tools have an offset anvil that rotates around the circumference in a single point of contact as the screw is turned. They are less readily available and more expensive.

When you start flaring larger and heavier wall carbon steel or especially stainless steel hydrauluc tube the force required to force that conical anvil into into the middle of the tube becomes an issue. They are physically hard to operate and the quality of the flare produced by the process degrades.

The eccentric tools require much less force, can handle larger diameter and heavier wall tube, and produce much better quality flares by rolling the edge.

Know the difference and consider your prospective usage and how they work before buying....

Dan

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Have you used that tool? Keep in mind you are not flaring soft copper water or NiCu brake lines.

As I said earlier there are two different flaring technologies.

The ones like the Speedway have.a traditional plumbing/brake line cone style anvil that is centered in the tubing and forced straight down by the screw. They are less expensive and there are plenty of them around.

The Rigid type tools have an offset anvil that rotates around the circumference in a single point of contact as the screw is turned. They are less readily available and more expensive.

When you start flaring larger and heavier wall carbon steel or especially stainless steel hydrauluc tube the force required to force that conical anvil into into the middle of the tube becomes an issue. They are physically hard to operate and the quality of the flare produced by the process degrades.

The eccentric tools require much less force, can handle larger diameter and heavier wall tube, and produce much better quality flares by rolling the edge.

Know the difference and consider your prospective usage and how they work before buying....

Dan

I have no question that there's usually an "even better" tool for a job. I have not had to flair large steel type lines but have done my fair share of stainless fuel and brake lines with AN fittings. Depending on the usage amount I was more just posting them as possible alternatives if someone wanted to do similar work but only ever needed to flair a -6 or smaller line, every now and again.

Mikeymotorbikey

Equipment
B2601
Jun 30, 2022
North Branch, Minnesota
I got my Rigid 377 from Zoro a month ago for $125ish shipped to my door. It's 100 times the tool that SpeedwayMotors tool will ever be!
Not sure how I've been around 60 years without knowing about eccentric flaring tools. The Rigid tool works flawlessly, even with a newbie using it. I'm right at about $8 per flare now but I own the tool and can do many more. Now I just need a hose crimper!

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I got my Rigid 377 from Zoro a month ago for $125ish shipped to my door. It's 100 times the tool that SpeedwayMotors tool will ever be!
Not sure how I've been around 60 years without knowing about eccentric flaring tools. The Rigid tool works flawlessly, even with a newbie using it. I'm right at about $8 per flare now but I own the tool and can do many more. Now I just need a hose crimper!
Thats close to what I paid several years ago. For some reason I have $13x stuck in my mind.

"Affordable" hose crimpers are very hard to find. I lucked out on this used one. It came off a mobil service truck and I got a complete crimper package with 3 dies and the air over hydraulic pump for $1200. It has paid for itself both in time and money.

Dan

1000002614.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Dan, do you mind sharing your source for the steel tubing?
Purchased from Colliflower - our local Parker Store. I ordered 4 lengths and was shocked by the price - more than doubled from my previous purchases I wont be back if I can avoid it. Prices much better here but max piece length for UPS shipping is 7 feet.

Dan

FlatlandTransplant

Equipment
B8200 with SSQA converted loader and a X300 yard tamer
Feb 18, 2017
King George, va.
Purchased from Colliflower - our local Parker Store. I ordered 4 lengths and was shocked by the price - more than doubled from my previous purchases I wont be back if I can avoid it. Prices much better here but max piece length for UPS shipping is 7 feet.

Dan
Thanks! Wow those guys are pretty proud of their tubing. I saw that McMaster has the same diameter and wall thickness for cheaper, I don't know what shipping would do to that but it may be an option for ya.