Would you buy a L1802dt?

Tara's paul

Equipment
L1802dt
Hi everyone,
I'm new on this forum and I have the opportunity to acquire a L1802dt tractor with loader. Is it a good idea to buy such an old tractor? The seller asks for 2000$ Cad for it. Is it worth this or am I just buying a bundle of trouble? Any advice will be welcome!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Ask yourself if the tractor is big enough for your intended uses. If it's big enough the next question would be more of parts availability for a forty year old tractor. I understand your concern. I sold my forty year old Mitsubishi a few years ago due to concern about parts availability. Can you work on it? Repairs can run into serious money even if parts can be had. If it's a gray market Kubota that further complicates the parts issue. Beyond that if it's in fair condition it's not a bad price.

Reactions: 1 users

Tara's paul

Equipment
L1802dt
Ask yourself if the tractor is big enough for your intended uses. If it's big enough the next question would be more of parts availability for a forty year old tractor. I understand your concern. I sold my forty year old Mitsubishi a few years ago due to concern about parts availability. Can you work on it? Repairs can run into serious money even if parts can be had. If it's a gray market Kubota that further complicates the parts issue. Beyond that if it's in fair condition it's not a bad price.
Thanks so much for your input. Indeed the tractor is big enough for what I intend to do with it. And I saw else where on this forum that it's still possible to get some parts. I am not much of a mechanic myself and rather would not have to put in too much time on the upkeep. Glad to hear that the asking price is reasonable though.

I guess there isn't a way to vouch for how long this type of tractor could survive, is there?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
For $2000 if it breaks and can't be fixed due to parts availability......then a) not much money lost and b) if parts are that hard to get, break it up and sell it as parts.

I personally wouldn't buy a tractor that old, I think something newer is better buying even though it's more expensive. I don't mind fixing things sometimes, but it'd get very expensive if you pay someone to fix it for you (and the fact you're asking whether it's a good idea may suggest that fixing tractors isn't your hobby), and a tractor that old will probably need fixing more often than you'd think.

If it's a weekend tractor, then you really want to use it on the weekend, not fix it on the weekend.

$5-10K will get you into a better machine.

Having said that, if all you have is $2K, then that's a good machine to buy for $2K, and it's better than a shovel and a wheelbarrow.

I personally wouldn't buy a tractor without a loader (I guess it depends what you want it for). Does it have a loader? Adding a loader to an old tractor after you buy it is usually cost prohibitive - if you want a loader you're much better to buy an old tractor with a loader already.

Reactions: 1 user

Tara's paul

Equipment
L1802dt
For $2000 if it breaks and can't be fixed due to parts availability......then a) not much money lost and b) if parts are that hard to get, break it up and sell it as parts.

I personally wouldn't buy a tractor that old, I think something newer is better buying even though it's more expensive. I don't mind fixing things sometimes, but it'd get very expensive if you pay someone to fix it for you (and the fact you're asking whether it's a good idea may suggest that fixing tractors isn't your hobby), and a tractor that old will probably need fixing more often than you'd think.

If it's a weekend tractor, then you really want to use it on the weekend, not fix it on the weekend.

$5-10K will get you into a better machine.

Having said that, if all you have is $2K, then that's a good machine to buy for $2K, and it's better than a shovel and a wheelbarrow.

I personally wouldn't buy a tractor without a loader (I guess it depends what you want it for). Does it have a loader? Adding a loader to an old tractor after you buy it is usually cost prohibitive - if you want a loader you're much better to buy an old tractor with a loader already.
Beautifully thought out! It's great to have the thoughts of someone who has the experience of these machines.

It DOES have a loader (and I hate shovelling anything). I might give it a go. Would you have it checked by a mechanic before buying? I'm not sure I have that option, but it may be interesting to ask and see if the seller has or not a problem with this...

Thanks so much for your educated thoughts on the matter!

Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Beautifully thought out! It's great to have the thoughts of someone who has the experience of these machines.

It DOES have a loader (and I hate shovelling anything). I might give it a go. Would you have it checked by a mechanic before buying? I'm not sure I have that option, but it may be interesting to ask and see if the seller has or not a problem with this...

Thanks so much for your educated thoughts on the matter!

Paul
You might also seek out the opinion of another local similar size tractor owner/friend?

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you have a mechanic friend or a mechanically competent friend, then yeah, get them to check it. For a $2000 tractor, you could spend a couple hundred having a mechanic look at it. No doubt you can sell it again for at least $1500 to the next guy.....I don't see it as being overly risky.

Do check that things on it run though - it needs to start and run, the loader needs to work, 3pt hitch work, PTO engage and run.

At that price I'd expect a few things to be broken/leaking/not working well. A fully functional tractor with loader is worth more than $2K, even if it's old. So be realistic. But if, on the day you buy it, it can do most of the tasks you want, then you're pretty well ahead. It'll probably break, but you just need to fix it.

So if you're not planning to use the PTO, then don't worry too much if it's clunky. If you are planning to use the loader, make sure that's working. And it does need to drive cleanly - not sure if that's a gear drive or hydrostat, but either way the clutch needs to work and/or it needs to have reasonable pull in gear for a hydrostat.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
As stated used loaders for tractors almost do not exist. If you buy a tractor this cheap and the tractor breaks down in a very expensive way the loader if straight, has tight joints, and is working well (I have seen a seriously tweaked loader with bad repair welds) remains in good shape you can sell it to someone who wants one for a decent amount of money. The bucket needs to be in good shape as a cracked, warped, or just plain worn out bucket is not worth much to anyone.

Tara's paul

Equipment
L1802dt
As stated used loaders for tractors almost do not exist. If you buy a tractor this cheap and the tractor breaks down in a very expensive way the loader if straight, has tight joints, and is working well (I have seen a seriously tweaked loader with bad repair welds) remains in good shape you can sell it to someone who wants one for a decent amount of money. The bucket needs to be in good shape as a cracked, warped, or just plain worn out bucket is not worth much to anyone.
That is very useful information. Thanks so much. I do think the loader is in decent condition. I'll take a closer look at it when I see that tractor again this summer.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When you go to look at it make sure it starts well from a cold condition. Do not assume that it is easy to start from cold if it starts easily from running temperature. If it has to use starting fluid from cold or the owner has used starting fluid on it, I would avoid buying it since that can damage the engine.

Tara's paul

Equipment
L1802dt
When you go to look at it make sure it starts well from a cold condition. Do not assume that it is easy to start from cold if it starts easily from running temperature. If it has to use starting fluid from cold or the owner has used starting fluid on it, I would avoid buying it since that can damage the engine.
I'll definitely keep an eye open for this. And I will ask the owner what his m.o. has been regarding starting his baby...