Worn vertical axle shaft L185? Terminology issue

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
First I need to apologize for not knowing the right terminology to use in asking this. I don't yet have a repair manual and don't even know the right words to do a search for this steering assembly. Here goes and please be tolerant.
In this photo, you see my little tractor's front end. My question is about the front left wheel spindle(?) assembly on the side with the rod from the steering gearbox. Once some years back I had to jack up my tractor's front end, and remove the front tire and rim for repair of a puncture. That's when I noticed that the left front wheel was loose like it was worn from turning left and right., There was significant play in the vertical spindle assembly when yanking on the wheel. The play is where the pivoting spindle goes vertically through the front axle. I hope that's clear enough to explain the problem.
Is there any hope for adjusting the looseness? Are there bushings or bearings I can replace or am I looking at a new front wheel spindle replacement? Thank you in advance, and yes I know I must buy a repair manual. I just don't have the cash right now. Don.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check your PM (top right), I sent you a link to download a WSM for your tractor, It has a breakdown of the front spindle assembly.

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
NorthIdahoWolfman thank you so much. This is wonderful. It seems there are bushings I can replace. I only hope that on removal, I don't find that a previous owner let wear progress to the point of damaging the spindle. Thank you again. Don

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a thrust bearing involved at the lower side of the axle. Not too expensive. I recall that you have to remove the horizontal link and the king pin is then pretty free to come out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Russell thanks for bringing that to my attention. I hadn't seen that . Very important thing I missed. Don