Woods Left Side Discharge?

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
A freind of mine has a 5' Woods finishing mower for sale. It is in really good shape and he wants $400 for it. It is a left side discharge he runs on a Massey 60. I have a Woods right hand discharge and I can't figure out how a left side discharge would work unless it is in the gearbox. My question is will it work properly on my L3800? Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Perhaps it is a mower designed for a few early Kubotas whose pto turned backwards compared to today's machines. The blades may be different. The cutting edge and up twist to lift grass may be opposite to what you need when connected to your pto.

Study the pto rotation of both machines and also how the blades turn. The cutting edge of the blade needs to approach the front end (closest to the tractor) of the discharge shoot. Other wise the cut grass is thrashing around under the deck. When you back up with a mower designed to be pulled forward, the first part of the blade to touch uncut grass is far from the discharge which compromises its performance.

These are my quick thoughts early in the morning. Hope they make sense.

Dave M7040

slickwilly1976

Equipment
L1500,L1500dt, B2920,bush hog,tiller,scrape blade,cub lo-boy
Jul 14, 2013
Rocky face Ga
I had a Lo-Boy with a CCW PTO and it had a left side discharge woods. The Mitsubishi Beaver tractors also came with left side discharge woods finsh mowers because they turned backwards as well.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Thanks for the thoughts. I kinda of figured it had a CCW PTO and after a little further investigation this is what it has. Don't do me any good so I will have to pass on it.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I'd be careful about this. I had a left side discharge mower for a tractor with the usual rotation of the PTO. Getting blades for that mower was impossible, none available.