Woods BSS72 Box Blade

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Anybody have any experience with a BSS72?

I am looking for a box blade to fit up to the MX4800 I have on order. Dealer suggested this one and they have been 100% spot on so far. I have no experience with a box blade but looks to be a handy piece of gear. I have a LOT of leveling to do and a lot of limbs mixed up with dirt I am moving.

M

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
If you have a lot of debris maybe look into a rake first. The box blade is a leveling and moving device but doesn't do well with landscape debris other than rock and dirt. The branches will get caught on the scarifiers and you will be getting off to clean them. You need to get the garbage out of the way first either with a rake or a pass with just the scarifiers and the blade way up.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
You want the box to cover your wheel width for sure. Box blades are an awesome implement. You can drop the scarifiers down and break up compacted material and remove roots. There is a video that may help: https://youtu.be/LxuEDGSGOZA

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I have a 15 year old Woods 72" heavy duty box blade. it weighs a little over 500 pounds IIRC. Great implement, very useful and indestructible. Your M should handle the bigger one just fine.

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
King creek or CaptMike -- or anyone w/BoxBlade: I'm looking for either a 6' or 7' BB and so far have been disappointed in the quality of the Land Pride 2572 and Woods BS models - both seem "Light Duty" regardless of their "Heavy Duty" claims...they each weigh UNDER 600 lbs. I have some rocks on my property and will be pulling behind an MX5800 - don't want it to bend/twist and not hold up?? It seems the better BoxBlades in the 6-7 foot width weigh between 800-1100 lbs but cost over $1500+. I need to stay UNDER my budget of $1000.... I may buy "used" if I can find one locally in decent shape. Another "decent" one appears to be the Dirt Dog MBX72 - at 640lbs...still light/medium duty but only cost $1000-$1100.
Any thoughts of recommendations ?

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
AKD,
I have had the BSM 84 for a couple of weeks. It seems stout to me. I have been using it to cut down a hill and move it into a valley. I have gotten into rocks now from fist sized to some a bit bigger than a basket ball. I drag the rippers through it and it digs up the rocks. So far I have hardly scratched the paint. It weighs 750 lbs and the end plates are 1/2 inch thick.

I also used it on my friends gravel drive. taking off the crown and filling some ruts. noisy as hell but did the job well.

I am happy with it and I like the weight as a counter balance for the FEL.

Hope this helps,

M

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
CaptMike you are correct on the Woods BS"M" - much heavier than the BSS that was mentioned to start this thread and it was the BSS that I was referring to when I expressed concerns about it's LIGHT duty quality. The BSS is only 5550lbs and therefore several 100lbs lighter than the BSM models. I would be very happy with a BSM - just not sure I can spend the extra $$ for it. Woods certainly makes some quality heavy duty Box Blades in addition to their "hobby-home-owner" line. I am looking for something 6'-7' and 650lbs to 800 lbs IF -- "if" I can afford it....still looking hard for a decent USED one.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Thanks for the information,
I decided to go with the BSM84, bit heavier and wider.

M
the biggest mistake with my L4330 that I made was following the "conventional" wisdom and the owner's manual for implement size. Hence, I got a 6' bushhog, 6' BB, 6' rake and a 6' disc. My rear tire outside to outside is +76 inches.

My L4330 is a 40 hp tractor, yours is 49 hp (per TD). For that size tractor, I would never buy anything less than 7'. For my rear grader blade, I'm gong 8'.

And FWIW: I added about 760 lbs to my already HD BB weight of 675 lbs. Now - it works good!

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
the biggest mistake with my L4330 that I made was following the "conventional" wisdom and the owner's manual for implement size. Hence, I got a 6' bushhog, 6' BB, 6' rake and a 6' disc. My rear tire outside to outside is +76 inches.

My L4330 is a 40 hp tractor, yours is 49 hp (per TD). For that size tractor, I would never buy anything less than 7'. For my rear grader blade, I'm gong 8'.

And FWIW: I added about 760 lbs to my already HD BB weight of 675 lbs. Now - it works good!
Move the rear tires.