Woods 6500 backhoe issue

DC64

Equipment
Kubota B7500, LA 302 FEL, BH6500 backhoe
Aug 8, 2022
NJ
Hi All, my backhoe boom and dipper both drop to ground when not actively held up with a control input in 10-20 seconds
Thought two leaking internal cylinders but resisted the urged to buy 2 new seal kits and instead ask for help to properly diagnose this. The bucket and swing seem to work fine. Where do I start? I did buy it with this issue….

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hi All, my backhoe boom and dipper both drop to ground when not actively held up with a control input in 10-20 seconds
Thought two leaking internal cylinders but resisted the urged to buy 2 new seal kits and instead ask for help to properly diagnose this. The bucket and swing seem to work fine. Where do I start? I did buy it with this issue….

Dan
Here's a link to a test procedure:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Dan
First make sure there are no external oil leaks.

The crowd cylinder can droop (extend) from an internal leak in the cylinder.

If the boom cylinder is drifting down (retracting) the control valve is leaking off.

Dan

DC64

Equipment
Aug 8, 2022
NJ
First make sure there are no external oil leaks.

The crowd cylinder can droop (extend) from an internal leak in the cylinder.

If the boom cylinder is drifting down (retracting) the control valve is leaking off.

Dan
No leaks visible
I tested the dipper cylinder per the above test procedure and it was shooting oil past the piston seal.
i was trying to get the boomcylinder out to unhook the hose but I am having major issues with that. The pin in the boom is seized. It is actually seized inside the cylinder, not the boom bosses. Last thing I tried was a 20 ton press and heat but no go. Next I am going to soak the whole contraption in penetrating oil for a couple of days.
Any other suggestions?
I think I will try to unhook a boom cylinder hose at the valves today to test it so I can order the seal kits.
The boom cylinder is extending when the boom is drifting down on mine.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
No leaks visible
I tested the dipper cylinder per the above test procedure and it was shooting oil past the piston seal.
i was trying to get the boomcylinder out to unhook the hose but I am having major issues with that. The pin in the boom is seized. It is actually seized inside the cylinder, not the boom bosses. Last thing I tried was a 20 ton press and heat but no go. Next I am going to soak the whole contraption in penetrating oil for a couple of days.
Any other suggestions?
I think I will try to unhook a boom cylinder hose at the valves today to test it so I can order the seal kits.
The boom cylinder is extending when the boom is drifting down on mine.
Yikes!!! Good luck with that pin. Can you get in there with a sawzall to cut it apart?

Dan

DC64

Equipment
Aug 8, 2022
NJ
Yikes!!! Good luck with that pin. Can you get in there with a sawzall to cut it apart?

Dan
No, it’s in there about 12-14”. Looked but I seem to can only get 12” metal blades…
if the penetrating oil doesn’t work I am looking at drilling it out.☹

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
No, it’s in there about 12-14”. Looked but I seem to can only get 12” metal blades…
I'm thinking the pin has a shoulder worn on it and the rod end is locked on that shoulder.

Can you get a pry bar in there and lift the rod end a little? Or figure out a way to rotate the pin 90° or so? Probably going to need a new pin either way.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Wow! I guess the previous owner missed the grease fitting inside the hole in the frame. Sure glad I grease mine religiously. Good luck getting it out. Lay it on its side and soak it in a good penetrating oil for a week. Worst case you might have to cut sections out of the frame to allow for the use of a torch to heat it up.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Time to buy or visit the rental store. Can never have too many tools.

1661265206459.png

DC64

Equipment
Aug 8, 2022
NJ
Time to buy or visit the rental store. Can never have too many tools.

View attachment 85899

Got it out! wrapped the boom in plastic and poured 2 gallons of PB blaster in it. Let it soak for a week.
Then put the press on it, cranked it and hit the boom with a hammer to shock it. With aloud bang it moved to release the pressure. After that I was just able to press it out.
what a satisfying feeling!!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user