Woodpeckers are doin-me-ead-in!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The carpenter bees are my initial problem, I hunt them vigorously with the tennis racquet. The woodpecker is after them too I assume, but he's not getting rid of them, just making a bigger mess. I'm hoping if I replace the damaged wood with Trex or similar, then both problems will be solved. If not, it's boom time.
Yep. I hate em too.

Yes, you can spray the hole with carb or brake cleaner. Also, I'd suggest making some carpenter bee traps. They work surprisingly well. That reminds me, I need to get mine re-installed for the year as I saw one of those bast@rds yesterday while it was warm out.

Wood peckers, I hate them too. Such is life living in a log home.

Reactions: 1 user

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
posts #18 & #20
View attachment 99587
Thanks. I actually found that thread when I did my woodpecker search. I decided to start a woodpecker thread because you can imagine what would have happened if I pinged everyone on a thread from 2011!

Caught the beggar at it again this morning. I think I will order some rock salt shells and scare him away.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I had the same problem years ago. Look for some stuff called "tanglefoot" it's a sticky paste to smear on the spot they are drilling had to do 3-4 places but after a week they moved on and while they go after the dead/dieing trees around here they have left the house alone.
Thanks - will look! This is what I was hoping for when I posted the question. I figured someone on a tractor forum would have a method that actually works.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
In general, the only birds not protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act are house sparrows, starlings, and pigeons. It's even against the law to possess the feathers of birds that are protected. Wouldn't stop me from killing a woodpecker that was destroying my house, though, and I'm not gonna get rid of all the barred owl feathers I've collected out of my yard.
States have varying laws concerning 'nuisance' animals and how the issue can be addressed (lawfully).

But most have provisions to remove the animal in one form or another.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
A little different bird problem several years ago. Wifey's car somehow got chosen by as a target by just one bird. Never understood how one small animal could produce that much excrement in such a short time. It began with birdcrap on and near the right side mirror. The situation kept getting worse. When it got to the point where the side of the car regularly looked like the picture below, she put a contract out on him. One of the boys obliged. One dead bird, no more poop.
We had that problem a year or so ago. Stuck a mouse trap on top of the mirror with a small piece of double sided tape. Within a few minutes - no more problem.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
In the spring the young woodpeckers like to bang on the soffits and stuff to make as loud a noise as they can trying to attract mates.
This stuff actually works really well. Probably only need it out for a month or two, just to get past that time where your house looks like an appealing place to peck.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess we all have that little pest, bird, ground hog, wild hog, deer, bears, ex wives, what ever it might be. Though the most destructive and irritating, have 2 feet and no fur or feathers, and yeah the arthurites frown on doing things to them too,, So I guess maybe they are a protected species

Reactions: 1 user