Woodmaxx FM78H

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
I purchased a Woodmaxx FM78H and was wondering if anybody had to cut down the length of the PTO shaft? Mine looks okay but thought I would ask in case I missed something. I have a L3901 that is in from the factory setup, no mods yet.
Thanks

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Only someone with your exact set up will know that for certain. Best bet is to hook up your mower and measure. Plenty of Youtube vids out there showing how to do it. It's not very difficult at all assuming you have the tools do it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I purchased a Woodmaxx FM78H and was wondering if anybody had to cut down the length of the PTO shaft? Mine looks okay but thought I would ask in case I missed something. I have a L3901 that is in from the factory setup, no mods yet.
Thanks
Definitely hook up the mower WITHOUT the PTO shaft hooked up and measure the distance from the tractor PTO output shaft to the implement PTO input at its closest distance through the arc of the 3 point and range of top link motion. Make sure the shaft is short enough that it won’t bind. There should be some play left at the closest point. If it binds it can cause some pretty expensive damage.

Instructions for measuring and (if necessary shortening) should have come with the implement. The minimum tools needed are a manual hacksaw and a reasonably stout flat screwdriver. It’s just two cuts if you have to shorten. Measure twice (or more); cut once.

If it’s too long and it didn’t come with instructions to cut it down, post back and if someone else hasn’t already explained, I’ll find the cutting instructions that came with my chipper and post them. Had to cut that shaft down and it was a bit nerve wracking as I didn’t care to mess it up, but in the end it was quite easy to do.

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
Ended up cutting about 2” off both shafts. Cycled through it range of motion and seemed to be working properly.
Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user