WoodMaxx flail mower

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
anyone have experience with the WoodMaxx flail mowers, many of the products seem to be out of stock? I know the product is made in China is that the reason for no stock?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I bought the FM-62H just about a month ago. I am very pleased with it. Since the original post (below) I have used it to help clear a trail in the woods and get rid of several small pine branches.

Original Post

Reactions: 1 user

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I use a FM-62 regularly for field grass and brush. I don’t have a lot of limbs to chop up, so I have the Y-blades. They’ll mulch things bigger than you’d think…

Love my WoodMaxx. Has been nothing but spectacular.

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
Yep the FM-62H is the one I am looking at, unfortunately they are out of stock . It will be on a L3660, what tractor are you guys using with the FM-62 ? Seems a lot of stuff is out of stock. I plan on giving them a call to see if they can give me a ballpark on when they might be available.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I use the 62H on an L3800HST. I can tell when I lift it that it has some heft but the tractor handles it fine.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I use my FM-62 on a smaller B2650. Zero issues lugging it around, and only bogs down when mowing really tall (like hood high) thick grass. It’s just a lot of mass under there for it to deal with.
If I can physically drive the tractor through brush, it mows it easy.

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
I love my 62h with hammer blades. I bought mine a year and a half ago, it was out of stock then as well. They do come from China, they would make them here if they could hire enough staff to do it they said, but welders and fabricators are hard to come by in here in upstate ny. Their customer service is excellent, give them a call and they can tell you when they are expecting the next shipment.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Yep the FM-62H is the one I am looking at, unfortunately they are out of stock . It will be on a L3660, what tractor are you guys using with the FM-62 ? Seems a lot of stuff is out of stock. I plan on giving them a call to see if they can give me a ballpark on when they might be available.

Inventory may be even lower since they just finished a "10% off" sale that actually seemed to be legit (looking at pricing over the past year). I was thinking about a basic FM, but waited too long for the hammer blade option to get back in stock. About the time I decided that Y blades would be 'OK' they ran out of them also. I went with the hydraulic shift version & Y blades (also ran out of hammers on this one whilst I was dithering). Customer service has been great thus far (order, delivery, excellent communication) but I've been too busy with my day job to put the dang thing together and try it out.

ETA: The crate they shipped it in was impressive and it looks OK through the shrink wrap.

Last edited:

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
Bob,

I am curious how you made out with the delivery and getting the crate off the truck.
looks like my option will be for them to deliver it at the curb, then I will have to figure how to get it up the driveway? Not sure using the FEL will work with all that weight in the front of the tractor? I do not have any other attachments to have on the back of tractor for counter weight

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Jad2u, I have a set of pallet forks and had plenty of weight on the back. YMMV, but I'm thinking the driver might not be too happy with you taking too long to chain it up to your FEL and also wonder if your FEL will go high enough to lift from the top.

How long is your driveway and how busy is your road? They can provide liftgate service (for a fee) and set it on the ground for you. You'd have to assemble before you could hitch up. Palletforks.com will drop it by your door w/ liftgate service (and free shipping). I thought (and still think) the Woodmaxx mower would be better quality but I ran a Titan (palletforks.com) flail at my dad's place this summer. It seemed OK assembling it but I only ran it for a day.

I'm sure it's different in different locations, but Old Dominion made it real easy. They even let me pick the day of the week once they had it.

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
Well sounds like it's going to be a issue.
No problem with the road I live on it is not busy and plenty of room for the truck to pull to the side. My driveway is a different story it is long, not straight, and has some incline plus no place to turn around for a large truck.
I guess I will have to see if there is a freight terminal close by and if they will be able to load it into the back of my pickup. I'm sure I can get the measurements of the crate from WoodMaxx, the pickup is full size but is a short bed.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Guessing it wouldn't take an hour to put it together? Could you have them drop it beside the road and you take your sweet time either grabbing it w/ the loader/bucket or (last resort) assembling it in the road and using the 3-pt to drag it up to the house? A 62" should be able to be lowered by a liftgate, and their crate is beefy enough you're not going to hurt anything chaining it to your loader--I just don't think you'd have enough lift to hang it off of the loader and lift it off of the truck.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Bumping this old thread to see if there are any more woodmaxx flail owners out there. Or any other reasonably priced flail mowers.

I built a new house on what was previously about 4 acres of brush hogged field. Now with a house in the middle of it, and small kids, it's not really practical to keep some of it at 6'. Need to keep the critters away form the house.

I have a 44" Hustler super Z but would like to be able to get some of the thick spring growth with a flail. I think I can go up to 7' on my 45HP (not Kubota tractor). Thoughts? Should I suck it up and just burn up the zero turn?? Those aren't exactly cheap nowadays either. My old tractor is bulletproof and has no depreciation.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Bumping this old thread to see if there are any more woodmaxx flail owners out there. Or any other reasonably priced flail mowers.

I built a new house on what was previously about 4 acres of brush hogged field. Now with a house in the middle of it, and small kids, it's not really practical to keep some of it at 6'. Need to keep the critters away form the house.

I have a 44" Hustler super Z but would like to be able to get some of the thick spring growth with a flail. I think I can go up to 7' on my 45HP (not Kubota tractor). Thoughts? Should I suck it up and just burn up the zero turn?? Those aren't exactly cheap nowadays either. My old tractor is bulletproof and has no depreciation.
I’d get the flail and run the tar out of it in the brush. Plant some grass and Jeep mowing the brush till it finally gets choked out.
When we bought our place, it was a pretty good blackberry farm. My wife prefers to not use spray unless necessary, and the mow, mow, mow, grass method worked everywhere I wanted to eliminate the blackberries.

I do leave them alone by one fence line, because who doesn’t like some fresh blackberries in the summer?