Woodmaxx chippers

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I’m considering getting a chipper for my 50 pto hp tractor. Looking at Woodmaxx 9900, 8800 and 8H models. Bout a thousand buck jump between each of those models. I plan to call Woodmaxx for input from them. Is the hydrostatic that much different than the hydraulic? I thought that was the same thing till I looked on their site. A little different sized flywheel and 2 vs 4 knives and a several gallon hydro tank vs 1/2 gallon and maybe feed rate adjustment being simpler is only difference I can really see besides I feed throat size. Comments please on why you picked or would pick one over the other. Thanks for any info guys

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
I just took delivery yesterday of a Woodmaxx 9900 chipper. I waited four months from time of order to receiving the delivery. The 9900 is now fully American manufactured, and it was the switch from Chinese parts to in house fabrication by Woodmaxx that was primary cause of the delay.

I will be using my 9900 chipper with a Kioti CK4010 tractor, which has about 33.5HP at the PTO. The overall workmanship and quality of the Woodmaxx chipper was simply fantastic.

As to which model to choose, probably depends on your amount of chipping requirements. In my case, I have estimated 4000 trees of various sizes, that needed to be cleared over next 2 years; and for the cost of renting a Vermeer chipper during that two year period, I could purchase several Woodmaxx chippers.

I have rented several Vermeer chippers in the past year, and I thought ownership was the best choice. The Woodmax 9900 with my 33.5HP diesel, should outperform the rented Vermeer chipper with the 27HP Kohler engine that I used all this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I was reading the WoodMaxx website and my chipper and snowblower from them were shipped here in a metal tube frame skid. Like from a overseas shipment. So no dought made in China. But the website says they have invested in multimillion machinery lazar cutting and fabricating facility to have their products truly Made In the USA, I think that's great and I'm sure everyone else does too.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
Beaudeane: "Is the hydrostatic that much different than the hydraulic? I thought that was the same thing till I looked on their site."

No, it is the same meaning. The chippers are completely hydraulic. The tractor PTO shaft on these chippers, only provide power to the hydraulic pump, which actually spins the chipping flywheels until reaching cutting speed. The hydraulic pump also rotates the input feeder bar to the cutting chamber. The hydraulic fluid used is just 10W40 oil. The chipping/cutting speed at the flywheel is about 1200rpm, so the 540PTO rotation is increased nearly 2X by the heavy duty hydraulic pumps.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
No, it is the same meaning. The chippers are completely hydraulic. The tractor PTO shaft on these chippers, only provide power to the hydraulic pump, which actually spins the chipping flywheels until reaching cutting speed. The hydraulic pump also rotates the input feeder bar to the cutting chamber. The hydraulic fluid used is just 10W40 oil. The chipping/cutting speed at the flywheel is about 1200rpm, so the 540PTO rotation is increased nearly 2X by the heavy duty hydraulic pumps.
I think you need to look at the WoodMaxx site again, the flywheels are turned by way of the PTO shaft. There are two sets of pulleys and I think 5 belts. The in-feed rollers are what is hydraulic.