WoodMaxx chipper

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Apologies for asking a question that I’m certain has been asked!

I have an opportunity to pick up a lightly used (18 hours) WM-8H chipper. It’s more machine than I need, but the price is right.

If my research is somewhat close to accurate, this thing is close to 1,000#. Looks like my B2650 has a lift capacity of 1,676#, 24” behind the lift point. Should be ok by the numbers, and my land is about as flat as it gets.

I don’t have anything greater than 3-4” to chip, so I’m hoping to hear from others that have used this machine behind a tractor like mine.

Thanks for any input!

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I had a different tractor and different mulcher/chipper (but not too far off from your set up) but from that experience and your spec's you should be fine.

general observations is at 4" of semi hard or very sappy you may find will be a push..... I had more HP and found the process slow and tedious. A lot will have to due with how much material you have to process, how much time on your hands, availability of other options, do you have need for chips, is space and rules in your area allow for burning, etc......In the end I sold it and now burn off my piles in the winter when we have feet of snow on the ground or haul to the dump which is close and no tipping fees. My circumstances this worked better than chipping.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
We’re all soft woods here in my area. Doug fir, poplars, cedar, etc. a few apples that I’ll clip the suckers off and small branches. The majority I want to deal with is 2” and smaller.

I currently use a Troybilt Tomahawk, and I’d like to make it easier on me. No interest in piles and burning. The chips have some value to me.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a WoodMaxx WM-8M that I use with my L3901DT. I would think that if you are chipping anything larger than 4" you should be okay. On their website it has, "Chipping capacity is directly related to horse power and torque, therefore with 19 hp. you can expect to chip 4″ hard and 6″ soft material and with 50 hp. you can expect to chip any material up to 8″ in diameter with no trouble."

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not familiar with the model chipper you are considering, but as a point of reference, I use a WC68 with a b2650. I’ve not had any issues or lugging…but I am not putting anything more than 3 or 4” material through either….it’s chewed everything up like an angry beaver so far. Power of the tractor has been no issue. Its shipping weight was listed at 825lbs, so I suspect it’s 750 or 775 filled with 5 gallons of hydraulic oil plus I have a trailer hitch in it which added a couple pounds. That being said it’s a good bit of weight on the rear and I would not try to drive around on my property without the loader on…it makes the steering light depending on the grade and I have a lot of slopes. (You could put weight in the bucket if necessary) It’s about all my B wants. I would think it could handle a few more pounds but I am not really sure how much is too much. After using wc68 I would not hesitate for something a little larger understanding that you may not need to max the size of material and also slow the infeed down…slowing the infeed down helps with larger material. Does the chipper you are looking at have infeed rollers? Personally I would not want one that does not. I am not sure that helps or not?

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I am not familiar with the model chipper you are considering, but as a point of reference, I use a WC68 with a b2650. I’ve not had any issues or lugging…but I am not putting anything more than 3 or 4” material through either….it’s chewed everything up like an angry beaver so far. Power of the tractor has been no issue. Its shipping weight was listed at 825lbs, so I suspect it’s 750 or 775 filled with 5 gallons of hydraulic oil plus I have a trailer hitch in it which added a couple pounds. That being said it’s a good bit of weight on the rear and I would not try to drive around on my property without the loader on…it makes the steering light depending on the grade and I have a lot of slopes. (You could put weight in the bucket if necessary) It’s about all my B wants. I would think it could handle a few more pounds but I am not really sure how much is too much. After using wc68 I would not hesitate for something a little larger understanding that you may not need to max the size of material and also slow the infeed down…slowing the infeed down helps with larger material. Does the chipper you are looking at have infeed rollers? Personally I would not want one that does not. I am not sure that helps or not?
Dual powered indeed rollers. Hydraulic powered with variable speed.

Link to what I’m trying to acquire:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
There is nothing wrong with a chipper that exceeds your needs, you will find the hydraulic auto feed to be one of its best features. I run a WoodMaxx MX series on a L3200 and spend days with it in the woods.
I would not worry about the weight or your HP. Good luck with it.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Thanks all for the input on this. Deal has been made, and I’ll pick it up on Wednesday. Luckily, he has a tractor to load it on my trailer so I don’t need to schlep my machine 100 miles each way to get the chipper. Even loaded backwards, that’s further than I think I wanna go with the ROPS canopy….

Stand by for review!

Reactions: 1 users

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Ok. She’s mine now! This thing is cleeeeeaaaannnn. Still has the plastic wrap on the hydraulic hoses….

Question for those that have used a chipper on a B2650… How does the tractor like it when you engage the PTO? With no mechanical clutch to feather, it seems like it may be pretty violent with that 200# flywheel…

Thoughts?

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
Ok. She’s mine now! This thing is cleeeeeaaaannnn. Still has the plastic wrap on the hydraulic hoses….

Question for those that have used a chipper on a B2650… How does the tractor like it when you engage the PTO? With no mechanical clutch to feather, it seems like it may be pretty violent with that 200# flywheel…

Thoughts?

Lots of people using them, My LX2610 with a woodmaxx flail mower and hammer blades has quite a bit of spinning mass. Engaging the PTO definitely make the tractor do one quick jerk when the PTO engages, I wouldn't consider it to be violent. The PTO clutch is a wet clutch, it does act somewhat as a shock absorber when you turn it on. I think you will be happy with it, you might find its engages better if you bump the throttle up off idle a few hundred RPM

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Thoughts?
It’s been no issue for mine. Check and see in the manual for the chipper if it has start up instructions. (The woodland mills does, I suspect yours might too)

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Thanks fellas. I do have a WM flail mower, so am familiar with the clunky startup on that. Glad to hear it should be similar.

Chipper instructions say to engage PTO at low engine speed and then bring it up. That’s what I do with the flail. Not at idle, just a little above seems smoothest with the flail.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
IMG_20220910_184701737.jpg

I bought the same chipper for the B2650 and has been a great tool.
I chip mostly up to 4 inch but sometimes larger pine goes in. Just have to slow the infeed down a little.
I have put around 25 hours on it in the last year.

Reactions: 1 users

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
View attachment 112795
I bought the same chipper for the B2650 and has been a great tool.
I chip mostly up to 4 inch but sometimes larger pine goes in. Just have to slow the infeed down a little.
I have put around 25 hours on it in the last year.
Good to hear you like it! Are you engaging the PTO just off idle?

Another deal I gotta figure out is what do I do to keep the tractor running with the PTO engaged and me not on the seat….

I can always flit the seat up and hold the seat switch down by sliding the little wire harness over it, but prefer to not dummy out something that I may forget and have one of the kids use it next…

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Good to hear you like it! Are you engaging the PTO just off idle?

Another deal I gotta figure out is what do I do to keep the tractor running with the PTO engaged and me not on the seat….

I can always flit the seat up and hold the seat switch down by sliding the little wire harness over it, but prefer to not dummy out something that I may forget and have one of the kids use it next…
Page 44 of the b2650 owners manual tells you how to use stationary pto.
below are the steps from the manual.
1. apply brakes and place blocks at the tires
2. make sure shift levers are neutral and start engine
3. set pto lever to rear only position
4. engage pto
5. set engine speed to recommend pto speed
6. get off the tractor

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Cool! That sounds simple enough.

Set parking brake.
Put range selector in Neutral.
Hop off.
Go ham with chipper!

the brake was a no brained, but I don’t know if I woulda thought about the shifter position…. Thank you.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Alright! Finally had some time to get the new-to-me chipper hooked up and off the trailer his afternoon. Having a high school daughter in volleyball is turning into a full time gig…

Like my WoodMaxx flail, a Land Pride QH-10 does not work since the top hook isn’t adjustable. Also like my flail, it’s an easy fix with a simple shackle from a leaf spring….
IMG_1223.jpeg

Since I have to hop off to attach the driveshaft, it’s just a couple seconds to put one pin in. I leave the shackle attached to the top link pin at all times. I’ve been using this with the flail for a few years now with no issues.

Got the driveline cut to length, as it was about 2.5” too long with my 3-PH raised fully. On the ground is where the shaft could be its longest, and I have about 5” of slip shaft engagement. Should be fine.

This thing is like new! I pulled the plastic sleeves off the hydraulic hoses so I could spot any leaks that may pop up in the future. Hoses look as fresh as day one.

IMG_1220.jpeg
IMG_1221.jpeg
IMG_1222.jpeg

For startup, I rev the motor to 1,400 RPM and hit the PTO lever. It certainly bogs the motor for a moment, but it recovers quickly. Much under 1,400, the motor stalls.

Time to go find some sticks!!!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Looks like the newer ones come in black
now...I used mine for several weeks this spring cleared along my boundary stone wall...works great.
I do have a woodMaxx 72" snow blower I'm going to be putting up for sale should anyone want it for $2.k

Attachments

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Looks like the newer ones come in black
now...I used mine for several weeks this spring cleared along my boundary stone wall...works great.
I do have a woodMaxx 72" snow blower I'm going to be putting up for sale should anyone want it for $2.k

WM website shows orange or black for color options. Figured I wouldn’t snivel too hard about the color when shopping used! Lol.
Nice looking piles of recycled branches you have there!

Should be able to unload that snowblower without much issue. Might toss it in the classifieds for more views! Good luck with your sale.