Wood Pellets

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Briquettes, have seen them. Just saw a press,only 35 grand to make your own.
I will stick with my pto pellet mill for now. Safer and even heat. And no stoking stove in the wee hours.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hey, Skeets -- couple of pics for ya!

Chevy truck, BX2360, and an adult beverage! :D

Before and after - - truck and beer full, then both empty. BX wasn't phased in the whole process!;)

Pellets came from Somerset, Kentucky - a long haul to upstate NY for $250/ton. TSC had a 22 ton load delivered this morning. At 12:30 when I bought these - 9 ton left.

The Harley is in the back corner, all covered up. Can't see that here - maybe when the weather warms up...someday.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The pellets I use are about 26"-28" long and 8"-10" in diameter! Three of them pretty much fills the stove and last for several hours.
I grew up with a livingroom Riteway stove that took wood almost 24" long by 10-12" or so. Only heat in an old 12 room farmhouse - put about 40 facecord a year through it.:eek:

Never thought I'd get rid of my woodstove, but the pellet stove has paid for itself every year I've had it.

I have a Stihl 046 Magnum chainsaw. Cut a lot of pulp and firewood with it years ago. :cool:

Now I cut lilac bushes, but can do it REAL FAST!!

Truthfully, since I'm getting older, I just bought a little Stihl MS211 for most 'saw work. Darn 046 is a lot heavier now!!;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just checked, Premium pellets here are 183.00 a ton.

We don't do pellet stove, just regular wood stove, use about 4 to 5 cords.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Buddy of mine is burning oat hull pellets. $40/ton last year. Has stove cranked up and makes more ash. I pelletized soy bean chaff , was pretty rank smelling stuff when it goes through mill, but dry it was fine. Made nice heat. Working on collecting right off back of combine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
tooljunkie,, what did your set up run,, and if you use wood from a chipper do you have a ball mill or something to make chips smaller,,, I have seen stuff on you tube but most leaves something to be desired information wise

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just checked, Premium pellets here are 183.00 a ton.

We don't do pellet stove, just regular wood stove, use about 4 to 5 cords.
Wow - 30% less. Big difference.

Upstate New York is 70% wooded, up from 30% 100 years ago. Mostly due to farms going out. Most is North American hardwoods, but there is a lot of acreage in State Forest, which has many CCC softwood plantations, now getting 80+ years old.

Nobody really knows how long Norway Spruce will last. Many of the plantations are NS, along with red pine, which doesn't do well in clay soils.

There are several mills within 100 miles, but I think there is still room for more capacity here. We certainly have the material for it.

Jan 10, 2015
Texarkana
We have a wood ironing stove and keep wood stocked up for at least two years in advance. Maybe one day will switch to a pellet stove. I'm tired of smelling like a campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
I have been burning wood sooo long I am afraid to change. The thing is the cords seem to be getting a lot bigger. unless you buy them. I have never been able to get my butt up next to a baseboard heater.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have been burning wood sooo long I am afraid to change. The thing is the cords seem to be getting a lot bigger. unless you buy them. I have never been able to get my butt up next to a baseboard heater.
Cord of wood always seem to shrink when you bust out the check book :mad:. Can't by a cord of wood here. Everyone sells it by the rick. Then they cut it so short you get just under a 1/2 cord. I can't usually buy and get the proper lengh for my stove (14") so I just cut a bunch, and then rent a splitter for the weekend.

Have you ever noticed that your help always disappears when it's time to get in the wood :rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Tooljunkie - What kind of pellet mill do you have?????
Pto powered flat die and roller,made in china. Bought it direct from manufacturer. Thats why i got my Kubota, kubota is why i am here.

My Buddy gets a few cords a year, we probably have 5 to 7 cords stockpiled.
I switched to pellets for simple refueling. And i shut stove down once a week for cleaning and removing ashes.