wood chipper feed roller

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If you do the big chipper to shredder thing, please post results. I’ve considered the same thing but don’t have a shredder so I can’t experiment without incurring cost.
I will indeed. Little guy needs running anyway, and I've still got a pretty big pile from my last excursion with the big one. They just don't seem to break down as well as I would like in the compost, so that sorta makes it take longer for the compost to get ready to use. The missus is getting a little impatient about it. We've been dumping veggie waste, eggshells, and light yard debris (mostly trimmings from the flower beds) in the pit since February.

Rained out today, so bottling beer and making a mess in the missus' kitchen. Better go get after it and finish up.

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Looks pretty well built, and I see another engineer thought the same way I did about serrated edges on the feed drum. Those look like they're in a radial pattern (pointed straight out from the centerline) rather than a chorded pattern (not pointed out from the centerline). I can probably argue with myself for days about which would be better and why. It's more about making it bite onto the end of the limb and climb up rather than just peeling the bark off and slipping back off once it gets to bare wood, which is exactly why the angle cut on the branches works.

Some of the older Chinese heavy equipment was pretty good. My WC-68 is Chinese built with 'Murican' knives in it. Not sure having knives better than the rest of the machine would serve any purpose other than making something else fail first, so I'm guessing the rest of the machine is pretty good quality too. It looks it, but I only have about 40 hours run time on it, if that.

Who are you sending your knives to for grinding? I'm guessing they're probably not supported by the manufacturer any more, given the age of the machine and the ownership changes. I want to get a second set of knives so that when they need their first sharpening, I can just swap 'em and send the others off without worrying about whether I'll need the chipper before they get back. They're pretty hard stuff, and I've abused mine pretty good, but still haven't had to turn them yet. Maybe I'm fretting too much about 'em.
I haven't even turned my knives yet to use the second edge, and after 4 seasons and prob 30-40 cu yards of production the factory original edge still slice through the grain pretty much like new.

When the sharpening time comes there's a grinding shop in town that I used for decades for mostly 10" wood saw blades but they can sharpen pretty much anything to factory spec.

I can drop them there on a town trip and they'll be ready for the next town trip in a week.

I'm confident I can last a week without the chipper once every 10 years or more or whatever it takes to actually dull both edges on these things.

That being said, CLEAN WOOD is the #1 ingredient in keeping them sharp.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
The guy I bought the machine off gave me the number of the saw maker he uses so I send the knives to him. They come back sharp enough to give you a nasty cut. Ask me how I know that

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It's an ancient chineseium model. Was hard worked in a lumber yard before I got it. It has a single mechanical driven feed roller with serrated teeth. There is no adjustment to springs or feed rate. It works good enough for what I need and easily chips up to 4". It's just that it struggles with crooked branches. I turned the blades today and greased everything. Next time I get the blades sharpened I might give the feed roller a rub of the grinder.
Thanks for the suggestions
I have one of these Jinma clones and was having in-feed problems too. Pieces of wood seemed to get jammed up on the RHS and wouldn't feed properly.

I did a mod on my inlet chute by attaching a piece of UHMW shim on the RHS between the feed roller and the metal side. That pushed the branches back into the cutter knives and greatly improved the feeding. No more jam-ups and no more skinny branches winding around the roller drum. Day and night difference in self feeding.

Sorry no other photos, my chipper is up on a storage rack until spring. You can just make out the white shim on the LHS of the drum in this photo.

BTW if you need parts I found this company through TBN

I needed a new main drive shaft this fall after my drive hub spun on the shaft. They had it in stock and shipped it on the same day I ordered it. Very pleased with their prompt service and I would recommend them.

Attachments

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I have one of these Jinma clones and was having in-feed problems too. Pieces of wood seemed to get jammed up on the RHS and wouldn't feed properly.

I did a mod on my inlet chute by attaching a piece of UHMW shim on the RHS between the feed roller and the metal side. That pushed the branches back into the cutter knives and greatly improved the feeding. No more jam-ups and no more skinny branches winding around the roller drum. Day and night difference in self feeding.

Sorry no other photos, my chipper is up on a storage rack until spring. You can just make out the white shim on the LHS of the drum in this photo.

BTW if you need parts I found this company through TBN

I needed a new main drive shaft this fall after my drive hub spun on the shaft. They had it in stock and shipped it on the same day I ordered it. Very pleased with their prompt service and I would recommend them.
I have noticed that problem too. I may do something like that. Thanks for the link to the parts suppliers. I will order a spare set of knives. Mine is a mechanical feed, driven through a gearbox by a belt. There is nothing to really break on them (hopefully) apart from bearings (which are new) so might get a few years out of it

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have noticed that problem too. I may do something like that. Thanks for the link to the parts suppliers. I will order a spare set of knives. Mine is a mechanical feed, driven through a gearbox by a belt. There is nothing to really break on them (hopefully) apart from bearings (which are new) so might get a few years out of it
Mine was originally mechanical feed that would stop working every 5-10 minutes when a stray wood chip would cause the belt to pop off the drive pulley. The hydraulic motor for the feeder drum was my first mod. It feels a little safer now that the feed drum is reversible. I used a log splitter valve that kicks out if something jambs the drum.

Keep an eye on the drive shaft keys. One of mine either slipped out or the unit was assembled without one. I was noticing that the chipper would slow down but the engine wouldn't lug. The main shaft pulley hub was spinning on the main shaft. I'm lucky I caught it in time before more serious failure occurred.

I also added a ratcheting PTO clutch. I think some sort of slip clutch is cheap insurance compared to splitting the tractor for PTO repairs.

Last edited:

Chich

Equipment
None yet
Sep 14, 2021
Tennessee
I might be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that the OP's problem is not really knives at all. He didn't say what model he has, so it's hard to tell, but what he's saying sounds familiar to me. What I have found a little frustrating with my Woodland Mills WC-68, particularly on large hardwoods (3"-5" diameter), is that they tend to refuse to feed, meaning they haven't even got close to the knives yet. The grips on the feed drum tend to cut the bark off the very end, but cannot dig into the hardwood like it can pine, so won't grip it and pull it in. The cleats are a straight edge (not very sharp) and simply won't bite on hard wood. What I usually wind up doing is feeding a smaller piece first to get the drum raised high enough that it will climb up on the larger material. This takes some loading speed skills and being very ready because the WC-68 will DESTROY a 2" limb of any kind of wood in a blink. I usually slow the feed drum down as slow as possible yet still enough flow to turn it. This accomplishes two things: I get the second piece in before the first is gone and it lowers the feed rate so I don't stall the tractor. IIRC, the Woodmaxx WM8H has dual infeed rollers. I know I looked at at least one model that had dual rollers. That will have a very clear advantage over a single roller machine, but I couldn't justify the cost differential since I'm never going to be using this thing for an income source.

That said, I am considering some mods to my infeed drum to improve the grip. I want to cut notches in the edges of the 'blades' of the drum, off-setting them so that no two notches line up, and sharpen the resulting teeth to a point so that they'll grip the hardwoods a bit better. Not stupid sharp that it becomes a wear/maintenance item, but to the point it will grip more like a peavy or tongs when wood gets there, and at a minimum, hog off some material on the end and finally grip enough to climb up on the doomed limb so that I don't have to use a two-stick infeed technique.

Tightening the infeed springs in my case would only aggravate the issue I have. If the first blade on the drum doesn't grip the leading edge of the material, it just starts hopping and making a lot of noise. This also normally makes the stop-bar shut off the infeed hydraulics. In addition to using the 'Two Stick" technique described above, I've also started trying to cut stuff that typically has infeed issues on a diagonal. Make sure to cut it so that the taper is turned up with the limb curl down (cut angle with the curl), or the limb will roll and slap ya pretty hard when the drum grabs it.

There is actually a third technique on longer straighter brush that can be stripped of limbs if the size warrants it. I keep a pair of lopping shears nearby for stuff that I know is going to give me troubles, so sometimes, if I have a really long piece, I clip all the limbs off and feed the little end first. That obviously doesn't work if you leave the small brush attached, though, and CAN lead to overloading the tractor if the infeed rate is set too high as the material gets larger in diameter.

It still beats the heck out of a 6.5 HP 3" chipper/shreader. It's a lot faster, for sure, and a lot less larger wood waste that I have to leave in a pile to feed termites before I can get it reduced to mulch/compost.
This is the exact problem I am having with mine. I just bought it and cant get anything larger than 2" in it.
I have been looking all over trying to find an answer to this on YouTube, tech manual, Facebook, so finally I found something that addressed this problem....kind of, lol thanks.