Won’t start

Kennedy Big E

Equipment
2007 L4400
Apr 25, 2023
Kennedy, Alabama
I’m new here, my apologies if I don’t understand how it all works yet.
I have a 2007 L4400 with around 500 hours. I’ve always serviced it yearly myself.. Very well cared for.
Yesterday I replaced my oil and filter. All was great. I ran it a minute or so to fill oil filter, checked dipstick, added just a little, ran it again. All was good.
I replaced the outer air filter element, all great.
I replaced the fuel filter, still all good.
I topped off coolant in the reservoir.
I tightened the fan belt slightly.
Then… it started but sounded terrible and died after a few seconds. Long story short, I kept trying to run it, run times got shorter each time. Then nothing, just turns but no run.
Is it reasonable to think I’ve just introduced air into the system? I can’t find anything wrong. I’m limited on my knowledge of diesels. I’m a retired industrial Maint man, I know things pretty well… expect for this. I’m lost and scared. But using my Maint history it says I’ve caused something wrong. The odds of it “dying” during my servicing is a no go in my mind. I guess (know) anything is possible but seems like it’s not getting fuel.??. Help?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
As a maintenance professional, statistically 80% of failures occur right after a maintenance event. My number may be off a few points one way or another but it's no joke.

Reactions: 1 users

sitric

Equipment
L2850DT Ferguson TO35
Jan 13, 2023
Michigan
Did you open the shut off to fuel filter after replacing? Easy to forget to open it back up when doing several things.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
It stopped working right after you fixed it so it's likely something you did.
I'd be looking at the fuel filter bowl like Dave suggested.

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
If you didn't bleed the fuel system after replacing the fuel filter, you've just diagnosed it. Your symptoms exactly match what will happen when you don't. Follow the procedure posted by Dave and you'll be all set.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user

Kennedy Big E

Equipment
2007 L4400
Apr 25, 2023
Kennedy, Alabama
I appreciate all the help. As I said to start with I have been servicing it since 2007 and somehow never had any issues with the fuel filter. This timeh I did. I opened the bleeder valve and in a few seconds she started trying to hit and finally did. Closed the bleeder valve, ran it a bit. She’s like new again. Thank you for the help. May seem like everyone should know this but after all these years and never having it happen to me I just didn’t know. Now I do.

Reactions: 2 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I appreciate all the help. As I said to start with I have been servicing it since 2007 and somehow never had any issues with the fuel filter. This timeh I did. I opened the bleeder valve and in a few seconds she started trying to hit and finally did. Closed the bleeder valve, ran it a bit. She’s like new again. Thank you for the help. May seem like everyone should know this but after all these years and never having it happen to me I just didn’t know. Now I do.
Thanks for the final chapter.
It helps us all learn,
Dave

Reactions: 1 user