Wiring Question

nikonman

Equipment
L5460, LA1055
May 21, 2014
Zeigler, IL USA
I am going to run an auxiliary fuse panel for my add on lights and would like them to be key switched.

Do I use a relay to switch the battery power to the aux fuse panel? The fuse on the key switched is only 50 amps, and I am not quite sure how much of that is already taken by the factory components.

Thanks in advance..

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
A relay triggered from something in the fuse panel is the best way, then feed the relay directly from the battery through a 20amp (#12 wire) or 30amp (#10 wire) fuse or circuit breaker to create your new circuit.

Here's a simple drawing using a commonly available "Bosch" style relay:

Attachments

nikonman

Equipment
L5460, LA1055
May 21, 2014
Zeigler, IL USA
I got a Stinger relay for the auxiliary panel to be fed from. IDK why I didn't think of tapping an ignition switched fuse.. And hindsight being 20/20, I should have went with circuit breakers instead of fuses.

Now to find a pod to mount the switches in.. Always something to look for.. lol

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Unless you have the cab model, you only have about 45A coming from the alternator. Pay close attention to your lamp wattage (W=A x V), remembering that you have the normal tractor lights running - probably - as well. You do not want to run your battery down, and not have enough to start the tractor in the morning... LED's are the way to go!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am going to run an auxiliary fuse panel for my add on lights and would like them to be key switched.

Do I use a relay to switch the battery power to the aux fuse panel? The fuse on the key switched is only 50 amps, and I am not quite sure how much of that is already taken by the factory components.

Thanks in advance..
Nikon,

kenny has the plan!

Forget about the key switch - make a direct line to the battery and have the relay cut it on......

I have my LED's wired hot, I might need them with the tractor off - RARE but I have used them to "look" at something when the key was 100 yards away.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Nikon,

kenny has the plan!

Forget about the key switch - make a direct line to the battery and have the relay cut it on......

I have my LED's wired hot, I might need them with the tractor off - RARE but I have used them to "look" at something when the key was 100 yards away.
This is the way I would do it. The switch turns them on or off but they always go on regardless of whether the tractor is on or not.

Good luck!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This is the way I would do it. The switch turns them on or off but they always go on regardless of whether the tractor is on or not.

Good luck!
It would not be likely that you would walk away and leave the lights on ........
well .....ok ...maaaaaaybe if the wifey called and was a bytching about something.......:eek::eek::eek:

Kidding ladies! :D