Wiring Alternator L175

buffumjr

Equipment
L175
Mar 30, 2019
Orange City, FL USA
There are two plug configurations on the ND alternators found on Kubotas. Pre 1980's and post. The pre- has two prongs (wires) in the plastic plug. Post has three. What does the third wire do in the later model ND altrnator, in case I have to "make do"?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Suggest you read the following thread which covers the topic in some detail.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42677

Before buying any charging system stuff for a L175, strongly suggest you consider buying a new Denso one wire alternator to end up with a simple and easily understood installation.

The original alternator was rated for 10 amps.

A simple 35 amp one wire Denso is under $60 with an internal regaulator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERN...846796?hash=item1e8c98db8c:g:x90AAOSwm-BdUyPf

Technical info on these older Kubota's is incomplete and as you will see from the above referenced thread, there is no info available for some stuff.

Dave

Danielbe

Equipment
L175
Aug 21, 2021
Norway
Suggest you read the following thread which covers the topic in some detail.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42677

Before buying any charging system stuff for a L175, strongly suggest you consider buying a new Denso one wire alternator to end up with a simple and easily understood installation.

The original alternator was rated for 10 amps.

A simple 35 amp one wire Denso is under $60 with an internal regaulator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERN...846796?hash=item1e8c98db8c:g:x90AAOSwm-BdUyPf

Technical info on these older Kubota's is incomplete and as you will see from the above referenced thread, there is no info available for some stuff.

Dave
Just to spark some life into an old thread, but is that alternator a direct bolt on with the L175?
I'm in the process of rewiring my tractor due to allot of stupid modification from previous owners..

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Just to spark some life into an old thread, but is that alternator a direct bolt on with the L175?
I'm in the process of rewiring my tractor due to allot of stupid modification from previous owners..
Nothing is going to be a direct bolt on with no mods necessary,

Because the new one wire alternators are a smaller form than the original alternators, you do not have issues with finding space for the new one.

Because the new alternator's output will be much greater than the original's 10 amps the one wire that delivers the alternator's output to the battery will need to be replaced with a thicker wire.

Because the original warning light is not longer in the circuit some owners install a volt meter so they can see what is happening. While nice this is not necessary. The reliability of new alternators is such that your tractor engine will have died before the alternator ever gives you trouble.

Order an alternator from someone like Amazon so if you get it and cannot figure out how to mount it you can return it.

If you have questions or issues, it works best if you start your own thread. Many members like me will not take the trouble to read through pages of stuff which is not related to your own problem.

You can quote and provide links to the previous thread if it will add to your thread.

Dave

Danielbe

Equipment
L175
Aug 21, 2021
Norway
Nothing is going to be a direct bolt on with no mods necessary,

Because the new one wire alternators are a smaller form than the original alternators, you do not have issues with finding space for the new one.

Because the new alternator's output will be much greater than the original's 10 amps the one wire that delivers the alternator's output to the battery will need to be replaced with a thicker wire.

Because the original warning light is not longer in the circuit some owners install a volt meter so they can see what is happening. While nice this is not necessary. The reliability of new alternators is such that your tractor engine will have died before the alternator ever gives you trouble.

Order an alternator from someone like Amazon so if you get it and cannot figure out how to mount it you can return it.

If you have questions or issues, it works best if you start your own thread. Many members like me will not take the trouble to read through pages of stuff which is not related to your own problem.

You can quote and provide links to the previous thread if it will add to your thread.

Dave
Thanks!
Made a new thread :)