Winter wear/ Insulated gear

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
Hi Everyone!

I wanted your opinion on what you all wear in the cold and extreme cold temperatures. I am not trying to start a war on brands or where a company stands. I do more stationary work for my job.

I wear insulated underwear and lined Carhartt works pants plus insulated arctic bibs. In 30 degree weather. I live outside Nashville, Tennessee. I am really cold natured so sometimes I wear 2 sets of arctic bibs. I know that may be odd, but it is the only way I have found to stay warm.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what to wear? Thank you.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi Everyone!

I wanted your opinion on what you all wear in the cold and extreme cold temperatures. I am not trying to start a war on brands or where a company stands. I do more stationary work for my job.

I wear insulated underwear and lined Carhartt works pants plus insulated arctic bibs. In 30 degree weather. I live outside Nashville, Tennessee. I am really cold natured so sometimes I wear 2 sets of arctic bibs. I know that may be odd, but it is the only way I have found to stay warm.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what to wear? Thank you.
I use insulated coveralls when snow plowing

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Base layers are very important. Merino wool for example. Cotton does not wick perspiration away from your body and will keep you feeling cold.

Reactions: 2 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Boots, good gloves, and layers are the key, I just got a set of baffin titans on sale at cabelas for $109 cdn. They are like wearing a warm cloud. I wish i bought them years ago! I can stand on the ice; fishing all day and my feet stay warm. For my hands I rotate depending on what im doing and what i require. I have a big set of fur lined mittens, a pair of wool and leather 2 piece (usually my go to pair), and a pair of insulated work gloves for some dexterity when swapping attachments, etc or its not cold enough for mittens. under layers; a good quality merino wool cant be beat. An example of what im wearing on the ice in -30C. wool socks, merino wool long johns, sweatpants and bib overalls, up top; a long sleeve sweat wicking shirt, sometimes another t-shirt, a hoodie, my insulated winter jacket; i have a muskrat trappers hat, and then gloves mites etc depending on the task.

if youre dressed in proper layers and still cold. i would reccomend a heated vest. Especially if you only get cold on the tractor, you can get battery powered ones (i know a few guys who have Milwalkee ones) they are expensive however they are apparently pretty awesome.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I need to get some. Any brands you recommend? Thanks

I do believe these are the ones i have.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Don't forget that if your core gets cold your body will send less blood to the extremities, and your core is where most of the heat in your body is generated, so these are the layers I wear when it is -17F: an insulating compression shirt, and long sleeves under the bibs then a sweat shirt and winter coat over the bibs. The warmer the blood is leaving your upper body the warmer your legs, feet, arms, and hands will be.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
Boots, good gloves, and layers are the key, I just got a set of baffin titans on sale at cabelas for $109 cdn. They are like wearing a warm cloud. I wish i bought them years ago! I can stand on the ice; fishing all day and my feet stay warm. For my hands I rotate depending on what im doing and what i require. I have a big set of fur lined mittens, a pair of wool and leather 2 piece (usually my go to pair), and a pair of insulated work gloves for some dexterity when swapping attachments, etc or its not cold enough for mittens. under layers; a good quality merino wool cant be beat. An example of what im wearing on the ice in -30C. wool socks, merino wool long johns, sweatpants and bib overalls, up top; a long sleeve sweat wicking shirt, sometimes another t-shirt, a hoodie, my insulated winter jacket; i have a muskrat trappers hat, and then gloves mites etc depending on the task.

if youre dressed in proper layers and still cold. i would reccomend a heated vest. Especially if you only get cold on the tractor, you can get battery powered ones (i know a few guys who have Milwalkee ones) they are expensive however they are apparently pretty awesome.

Thank you for the great advice. I need to change some gear out. I guess 2 pairs of bibs might be overkill.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
Don't forget that if your core gets cold your body will send less blood to the extremities, and your core is where most of the heat in your body is generated, so these are the layers I wear when it is -17F: an insulating compression shirt, and long sleeves under the bibs then a sweat shirt and winter coat over the bibs. The warmer the blood is leaving your upper body the warmer your legs, feet, arms, and hands will be.
Thank you for the advice on what to wear. That makes sense. My chest and legs get the coldest.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I wear Under Armour and depending on how cold outside, that determines what level of UA I wear.

Then I layer up from there. I make it where it is easy to add or take away layers so I can adjust to if I'm actually working out in the cold or working in the cab of the tractor.

Typically UA bottoms, blue jeans, and Carhart bibs. On top, UA, long sleeve shirt, vest, Carhart coat. For the head I like to wear a trapper hat. Hand are insulated leather work gloves. My feet, I wear sweat whisking socks and then nice thick warm wool socks.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022

Thank you for the advice. I am going to look at a heated vest. My core and legs get the coldest.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Thank you for the advice. I am going to look at a heated vest. My core and legs get the coldest.

like ccoon posted. keep your core warm and the rest will be warm. i have 4 different pairs of boots. might be over kill but i am outside whenever i can be. boots for working outside range from not CSA work boots, regular old rubber boots, boggs, and then my new titans.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
The first layer touching your skin should be 100% polypropylene underwear. I have snowmobiled for many years and in extreme temperatures and can tell you that the first layer is the most important. Perspiration condensing in cotton underwear will have you shivering in no time.

Reactions: 4 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
The first layer touching your skin should be 100% polypropylene underwear. I have snowmobiled for many years and in extreme temperatures and can tell you that the first layer is the most important. Perspiration condensing in cotton underwear will have you shivering in no time.

Do you have any of the merino wool underwear? i picked up 4 pairs.. crazy expensive however worth every penny for outdoor activities.. They were i think $44 a pair.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
I have not tried 100% polypropylene underwear. Thank you

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Do you have any of the merino wool underwear? i picked up 4 pairs.. crazy expensive however worth every penny for outdoor activities.. They were i think $44 a pair.
No, never had merino and never saw the need. I suppose they work well, but I would rather have several sets of the relatively inexpensive poly to rotate and wash and dry them each day.

Reactions: 1 users

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
I don't have any merino wool underwear. I have a polyblend polyester and nylon. I think and a few pairs synthetic down pants I wear under my lined work pants.