Winter Prep

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
My G2160 is used for cutting grass only. So other than filing fuel tank, making sure there is a good fuel treatment/anti-gel, oil change and a battery maintainer. Anything else I should do to it before it goes to sleep for the winter? Not even sure if I need to do oil and filter before winter as it only has about 25 hours or so on it. But likely will.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Fresh oil is always a good thing, but I would find a way to fire it up and let it run for a few minutes a couple times a month. I do that with all my ( unused yard ) equipment during the winter months.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Check antifreeze if your in a freezing climate.
Fresh high quality coolant mixed properly was one of the very first things I did for it when I got it this past spring. So I would think given my small number of hours I will be good for at least 2 more years.
Some years it's easy to get into my back garage but many times the way the snow and ice pack it in I don't open it until the first thaw :D

Reactions: 1 user

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
My G2160 is used for cutting grass only. So other than filing fuel tank, making sure there is a good fuel treatment/anti-gel, oil change and a battery maintainer. Anything else I should do to it before it goes to sleep for the winter? Not even sure if I need to do oil and filter before winter as it only has about 25 hours or so on it. But likely will.
If you start it you should run it until it is fully warmed up. You will get condensation in the exhaust until it is hot.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Keep the mice out of it!!
That right there is my biggest worry. I pulled a number of dead mice out of it when I bought it this past spring. I understand keeping the hood open is helpful, I will likely buy some of that Grandpa Gus repellant as well. Gonna buy a battery maintainer for it as well. I know on a gas engine you can "fog" the cylinders but I also know if you spray that into a diesel it will "run away" LOL.
If I do decide to start it up occasionally is it better to let it idle or run the rpm up slightly? Also in the past on my non gear box mower decks (much smaller and lighter and no oil filled gearbox) I would take the deck off for winter, power wash it, and stand it up against the garage wall. But this deck is very difficult to handle (shows nearly 400# weight) and oil filled gear box I don't think would take well to that. Or is that an ok practice?