Winches

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
I was contemplating getting a winch to hook up to my BX on the back.

I was checking the reviews on different winches and I found a 4000lbs, Viper Max winch. Not a bad price for it is, and seems to be of decent quality.

Any of you folks have any suggestions or preferences. The Viper Max looks to have good features and synthetic line.

I got stuck the other day and had to call my neighbor to help me get out with his 4 wheeler.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I have a Viper elite wide spool 5k on mine. I've yet to get stuck after I installed it though. I have the same model on my ranger and used it numerous times, the wireless remote works great, although the receiver is large and I couldn't find a easy way to mount on the tractor so I added a 12' corded remote.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I knew a redheaded wench once, she was lots of fun,,,, OH wait winch,, sorry never mind

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
I found a Warn 4000lbs winch for $299.99 on amazon, and also a Superwinch 4500lbs, with the receiver mount and snatch block for $276.03.

I know Warn has the top of the line winch reputation. Superwinch has a decent rep too....decisions decisions..

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I found a Warn 4000lbs winch for $299.99 on amazon, and also a Superwinch 4500lbs, with the receiver mount and snatch block for $276.03.

I know Warn has the top of the line winch reputation. Superwinch has a decent rep too....decisions decisions..
I went with the Warn for the customer support and that particular winch because the wireless remote has approximately a 90' range.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
What size of Anderson connectors are those? I looked at their website and guess they are the SB50's?
SB175 connectors and if I recall, I use 4 gauge welding cable. Welding cable because it is more flexible and durable than regular cable due to the higher count/finer wire strands. Some 'hard core winchers' feel larger cable (0 gauge) and SB350 connectors would be needed but the draw with a 4,000 pound winch simply does not justify that large a setup. I'm not lifting a jeep up the face of a mountain. As it is, a 4,000 pound winch can drag my tractor around with no effort. It is really more winch than my tractor can handle. But it was the smallest WARN had that also could have the really good wireless remote.
I've run the winch to where it got so hot where I could barely touch it and all the cables and connectors were not even the least bit warm.
I have kept the tractor running most of the time I use the winch except when I am doing a insignificant 'pull' (like using it to apply tension on a tree during felling). Running the tractor keeps the battery from being fully discharged. Worse case is the alternator runs at full output until the battery is fully recharged. You run the winch for a minute, the tractor is running at say 2,000 rpm and is doing to so for 15 minutes until the next time I run the winch for a minute. The last thing you'd want to happen is run the battery down and have to jump start the tractor in a hard to get to place. That and as the battery voltage drops, the amperage draw increases, which can over load things. You cannot hurt the alternator with the tractor running and putting a large load on it. An alternator can only output its' rated power and will do so until demand diminishes and then it will reduce its' output.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
On that note, this is where mechanical injection stands out. A scenario where you get jammed up to the axle housings and winching til battery pulls down so far machine stalls due to low voltage. Did it a few times with my pickup when i used a winch to run my snow plow.sometimes i could restart after a few minutes. Having a sheave and some recovery gear will dramatically increase your chances of an easy escape. Double the pulling power reduces the load on battery if you arent running close to stalling winch.

Had some guys cable two one ton 4x4's together in 4wd and in park. Loaded with gear. Claimed something was wrong with the 10,000 lb winch. Figured it would drag the trucks together. Not quite. The pull required to move that was considerably more.

As long as you understand the limitations of your winch and plan your pulls it should work fine.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
I already had the winch, a 12000lb warn, not my point. Just like my f250 sd I have a front receiver and a rear receiver, 3pt receiver on the tractor so i can put on any tractor. The winch is in a cradle I can stick in any 2 inch receiver. So now I have a winch I can use anywhere even if it is overkill for the little tractor. I am sure you own a bigger vehicle and having a portable winch should prove very worth while. I even have a set of cable adapters that use one end of a set of jumper cables to power it so the vehicle doesn't even need to be wired for one. Just my two cents and like using one tool for many applications if possible.

Semper fi

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I already had the winch, a 12000lb warn, not my point. Just like my f250 sd I have a front receiver and a rear receiver, 3pt receiver on the tractor so i can put on any tractor. The winch is in a cradle I can stick in any 2 inch receiver. So now I have a winch I can use anywhere even if it is overkill for the little tractor. I am sure you own a bigger vehicle and having a portable winch should prove very worth while. I even have a set of cable adapters that use one end of a set of jumper cables to power it so the vehicle doesn't even need to be wired for one. Just my two cents and like using one tool for many applications if possible.

Semper fi
Other than the weight, it makes perfect sense to me. I want to put winch connectors on all my machines and all 3 trucks. Not only for winching, but boosting too.i have three sets waiting to be installed, i just dont have the heart to cut my booster cables yet. They are expensive ones.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
Harbor Freight for the win on this one. They have a heavy duty set of jumper cables that give you all the gauge of wire you will need and cutting one end off won't make you cry.

Semper fi

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
I finally made a decision on what to do. I purchased a Superwinch LT3000ATV winch, 3000lbs. pull.

It has a wired remote control and a handle bar remote. Not that I would be using the handle bar remote. I bought a 2 inch receiver hitch winch mount, that mounts the winch perfectly and the roller fair lead. Bought a snatch block, some clevis hooks, a 3inch wide nylon strap with looped ends, and a 2inch strap with metal ends, and a line stop.

This should be enough to get me going here. I'm waiting on the Heavy Hitch sub-frame mount 2inch receiver to come in. That and figure out which quick connects for the battery leads to buy.

capngeo

Equipment
L6060, Kubota SVL95-2s, KX080-4, Ram 5500 4x4 with roll-off body
Jun 16, 2017
NOKOMIS, FL

Semper fi
I have the same set-up, except a Mile Maker Hydraulic 10K#