Winch Mod…

Kyle B

Equipment
BX23S
May 8, 2023
Nova Scotia, Canada
I spend a lot of time twitching logs around my property so have come up with a few mods to make that easier. I added a dedicated 50 amp (12v) outlet and modified the FEL to accommodate my 10,000 lb winch. With this setup I can quickly move and use the winch on the tractor (front or back) or my pickup truck (front or back) which also has the same outlet.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Man thats cool.

I sure could have used that last week.

Just curious, what does the entire set up weigh?

Edit: As I ponder this, my only concern would be bending the bucket. Did you reinforce the bucket at all?

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
And tweaking the loader arms.

Reactions: 2 users

Kyle B

Equipment
BX23S
May 8, 2023
Nova Scotia, Canada
Man thats cool.

I sure could have used that last week.

Just curious, what does the entire set up weigh?

Edit: As I ponder this, my only concern would be bending the bucket. Did you reinforce the bucket at all?

The winch and bracket weight about 75lbs. And yes, I did reinforce the bucket with two welded gussets under the backside of the receiver. This was done after I bent the bucket a little…. I usually come up with my best engineering ideas after I have broken something…. Also, the rig is primarily used for pulling as opposed to straight lifting, so aiming is important when I’m yanking on a big log. Once I had to tug on something really heavy, so I ran a big tow strap from the backhoe steps around a big tree behind the tractor….

Reactions: 1 user

Kyle B

Equipment
BX23S
May 8, 2023
Nova Scotia, Canada
I found a couple more pictures of my set up for logging. It turns out the first aid kit comes in handy… I haven’t yet needed the bear spray…. Also, I no longer screw the bolt on to hold the ax on the ROPs, I just wrap a small bungee cord around it.. it stays put even on rough ground.

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just wondering, how large a tree are you pulling? And when you are hooked to the bucket do you have the cutting edge dug in the dirt? A couple good points were brought up and Im wondering if you have had any problems with the FEL, bucket or loader arms?

Kyle B

Equipment
BX23S
May 8, 2023
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just wondering, how large a tree are you pulling? And when you are hooked to the bucket do you have the cutting edge dug in the dirt? A couple good points were brought up and Im wondering if you have had any problems with the FEL, bucket or loader arms?
Great Questions…. Most on my trees are spruce and birch. The largest tree I have tried was a 24’ diameter, most are 8”-14 and I don’t usually pull anything longer than 12’ or so.

I try to make sure the bucket is as close to the ground as possible and slightly dug in is best if the log is big (heavy). On my property there is a big ditch by the road and i put the whole rig across the ditch with the bucket raised and pushed into the side of the hill. Once the log is at the bucket I back straight out of the ditch on to the road. Most logs I move I can lift with two Vevor forks attached to the bucket on to my 17’ flatbed trailer. If I am dealing with a monster, I can move the winch on to the trailer and load it that way…. Fortunately, my sawyer has a crane to unload at his mill.

So far, there have been no problems with any of the FEL components. If I have to pull any distance farther than the 50’ the cable extends on the winch, I have a clevis insert for the rear receiver and just use the chain to pull the log.

I hope this isn’t more information than you wanted…

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nope ya done good, I kind of figured thats what you were doing, but sometimes,, welll ya just gota ask ;)

Reactions: 1 users