Will this work - disc harrow question

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Okay, I'm still a novice, so please take into consideration for my lack of knowledge. I am trying to decide if I need to buy a drag harrow, or if I can make my disc work for the limited need i have right now.

I used the disc to prep about 6 acres I am planning for dove fields. These fields have not been worked in many years, so they were pretty hard packed, but i was able to get pretty good depth. I will be broadcasting the seed, and my initial thought was to buy a drag to bed the seeds.

My questions is, can I save the money for the drag, and simply use the disc? I am thinking if I set the gangs at their least aggressive angles, and leave the 3 point a bit higher so it is not digging too far, I can broadcast, then take a pass or two over the fields with the disc and get the same result. This would also perhaps do a better job of breaking up any clods.

Or should I bite the bullet and buy or build a drag?

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
You should be able to use your disc I've planted 1000s of acres of grain over the years with a broadcaster and then use a springtooth or spike tooth harrow also have used a disc like you say adjusted to a less agressive angle and you only need to run your disc in the ground a couple inches to cover your seed. What did you plant for the dove I planted safflower dove will fly for miles to get to safflower

Attachments

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
You should be able to use your disc I've planted 1000s of acres of grain over the years with a broadcaster and then use a springtooth or spike tooth harrow also have used a disc like you say adjusted to a less agressive angle and you only need to run your disc in the ground a couple inches to cover your seed. What did you plant for the dove I planted safflower dove will fly for miles to get to safflower
Great info - thanks!

I am planning a mix from local seed company that includes sunflower and brown top millet as the main ingredients. Sunflower and millet seem to do the best in our part of Texas.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I pull a 6' post behind my disk for covering. I chain it to the disk and straighten the gangs. It has always come up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I used the disc to prep about 6 acres I am planning for dove fields.

WOW I didnt know that you had to plant dove seeds :rolleyes:

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
For covering the seeds we have had good luck with just a regular piece of chain link fence with a little weight from a 6x6 or something similar on the tail. Cheap and easy.