Will I notice the difference without the loader using a Grading Scraper?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Question for those who’ve tried it. Will I notice a difference with my L2501HST pulling a GS1572 if I take my loader off next time? I’m wondering if the extra weight of the loader and bucket will cause instabilty or give me more perceived power.

My rears are loaded and I leave my QH15 on.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You are not going to get more perceived power for a non PTO driven implement with a HST tractor. If it was a mower the answer is yes. For a scraper or blade, no.

If the gain of power was the only reason you were going to remove the loader then don’t do it.

Can I ask why you feel you need more power when you use it?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have hills to go up. In M, I bog down if I don’t let up on the HST pedal. My choice is less pressure on the M or going slower with L.

Not much of an issue, just wondering. Also, when the road is really roughed up, the loader is bouncing quite a bit. If it was off, it wouldn’t be bouncing.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
When I remove my bucket my L3800 doesn’t rock as much when I go over bumps. I always drop the bucket when I’m disking. Dropping your loader could give you a smoother ride if your grading over bumpy ground.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have hills to go up. In M, I bog down if I don’t let up on the HST pedal. My choice is less pressure on the M or going slower with L.

Not much of an issue, just wondering. Also, when the road is really roughed up, the loader is bouncing quite a bit. If it was off, it wouldn’t be bouncing.
HST has more torque the less you press on the pedal. It isn’t like a car. Also keep rpm high and slightly depress the pedal forward in M for max torque. Do not floor it.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The loader on gives you much better traction in 4WD, you will notice this.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Thanks for the tutoring on the HST pedal, but from my description, I obviously know how it works. The point is I have to slow down. With a bit more power, I might not have to.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks for the tutoring on the HST pedal, but from my description, I obviously know how it works. The point is I have to slow down. With a bit more power, I might not have to.
Jim forgive me but you said “ in M it bogs down if I don’t let up on the pedal”. This would imply you had it pressed pretty far forward…which is incorrect use If you need to get up a hill. I do apologize for discussing this is if is not useful to you, but this is why a few of us posted about the pedal. Just a miscommunication.

You have a 25HP engine pushing at least 4000 lbs around. It just isn’t going to be fast. Less weight when you are engaging the ground is usually worse. Weight is what gets the work done. However too much counterweight out front might make the back a bit lighter…the best thing here is to experiment (I know you were hoping for someone to just tell you…but do they have the same type of dirt as you, the same slopes, the same altitude?). Drop that FEL off (its good practice taking it off/on) and see what it does.

My M62 is 62 HP, weight just under 12000lbs with BH and grapple on. Up hills steeper hills I can do M, but only in the low end about 3.2 MPH.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Jim forgive me but you said “ in M it bogs down if I don’t let up on the pedal”. This would imply you had it pressed pretty far forward…which is incorrect use If you need to get up a hill.
Actually no, it isn’t incorrect … the hill is gradual and the only way to know how far to let up is to watch the RPMs since the amount of material varies, the amount of elevation gain varies, and the surface varies. Sure, I could just run L.

As you know, there is overlap in speed range for the L vs M. I can run L all of the time or run M at various speeds by varying the pedal. I could always run L uphill, and then stop and change ranges for level or downhill. I tried that and found just staying in M and varying the pedal works a bit better because I’m already in M when I go level or downhill.

To the other point, I could try everything myself and not post. I may end up dropping the loader and trying it myself depending on what responses I get. We’ll see.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Weight is your friend in this case. You will be able to pull more with the loader on it. You will maneuver better without the added weight.

ManBitesDog

Equipment
Currently Shopping
Jul 8, 2021
SW Florida
Question for those who’ve tried it. Will I notice a difference with my L2501HST pulling a GS1572 if I take my loader off next time? I’m wondering if the extra weight of the loader and bucket will cause instabilty or give me more perceived power.

My rears are loaded and I leave my QH15 on.
When I had my last tractor, I didn't keep the FEL on unless I was going to use it.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
When I mow without the loader, I "feel" like I have 5 more HP and can drive faster.

With your R4 tires which are not the best for traction - I'm guessing you might be spinning your tires more BUT that really depends on gravel and how aggressive you are with the implement.

I have a 6 foot box blade that I can stop the tractor dead in it's tracks, if I don't watch how big of a bite I take. I assume you'll be in the same boat....

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I operate with the backhoe on my L2501 mostly. The two or three times I took it off, the tractor felt like it had more pep. I would think removing the loader would be similar. I have not taken off my loader yet. But, as others have said, removing the weight might be a detriment, but there's only one way to find out,

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I’d think having the loader/bucket would be handy to tidy up or spread a bit of material here or there as needed doing a scraping job.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
At this point, it’s mostly about removing braking bumps and washboards.