Wifi extender

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Garage too far from house to get wifi?
Simple and cheap- old satellite dish and an external wifi reciever. I used intellilink. Taped it to the lnb and pointed it at the house. Saves me many trips for linking things to the www.
Got ott on my favorites, is great!!
Oh yes, forgot to mention im 300 feet from house.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Pics and model numbers please :D:D:D i can still get my wifi 300ft from the house. Will have to take my kindle to the neighbors next time and check inside. Used to piggy back the neighbors at 500ft before they passworded it. Was sketchy in the house. When I set the wifi up, was seeing the whole neighbor hood on my kindle. Is your shop a steel building?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Wireless 300n dual band adapter, brand name intellinet. Old star choice oval satellite dish. 6 foot long usb extension cord. Using a DLink in house.
Not a metal building.
Laptop would grab a signal from time to time. Not ever long enough to connect to internet. The house is stucco, wire mesh tends to block signal somewhat.
This is all stuff i had laying around.

I was searching improving wifi signal, saw a little thing made from a soup can and figured i could do better. Think i did.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wireless 300n dual band adapter, brand name intellinet. Old star choice oval satellite dish. 6 foot long usb extension cord. Using a DLink in house.
Not a metal building.
Laptop would grab a signal from time to time. Not ever long enough to connect to internet. The house is stucco, wire mesh tends to block signal somewhat.
This is all stuff i had laying around.

I was searching improving wifi signal, saw a little thing made from a soup can and figured i could do better. Think i did.
That stucco explains a lot :rolleyes: we used to have trouble connecting to the home wifi on the back patio in the old house in florida because of that. And that was one end to the other

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I gota run cables to my garage, close the doors and its like a Faraday cage . The truck radio wont even work when I do that,, and its not even grounded all the way around,,lol

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Simple and cheap- old satellite dish and an external wifi reciever. I used intellilink. Taped it to the lnb and pointed it at the house. Saves me many trips for linking things to the www.
Any new Wifi (repeater) will do a good job. The home versions are really are just an old style repeater, but will do what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a maximum bandwidth device they do sell multi-threaded N series, but can be a bit pricey. These still are going to limit throughput unless you go commercial. Just we complicate things with tractors one can do the same with networking (Wifi in this case). We could go into hardware frame rates and such, but they are pretty irrelevent.

Someone mentioned that they have no issue with going ~300ft, so here is a bit of info: BTW, Wifi is good for ~1KM, in theory. There are lots of factors that cause interference (noise resistance [shanonn's law if anyone recalls him]) but the biggest one in a house is the type of material surrounding it. The antenna on home Wifi are pretty small, so the dB values are going to be pretty small and thus the distance minimized dependent upon wall width, material, wind, rain, tractor running (kidding), etc.

HTH

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Doesn't everyone have a patch panel in their garage? I probably have 8ea cat5 and coax. Maybe more. And the central vac. And a whole house stereo keypad with speakers. And an airline into the basement. And hydronic heat piping. Someday, it might even be all hooked up/running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Well, upon replacing a door in the house, its like an onion. Many layers. 2x3/8" gypsum board, 3/4"tongue and groove, studs,another layer of tongue and groove, felt paper, wire mesh and stucco.
I was shootin for the low budget approach,got what i needed.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Doesn't everyone have a patch panel in their garage? I probably have 8ea cat5 and coax. Maybe more. And the central vac. And a whole house stereo keypad with speakers. And an airline into the basement. And hydronic heat piping. Someday, it might even be all hooked up/running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Indeed, but those cat5 days are so yesterday :/)

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Tooljunkie,

We too have a large Faraday cage (metal building) about 130 feet from our house. Even though we have a tractor and the right 3 point attachments, we didn't want to trench out to the building to extend the wi-fi.

Answer: Hawking. I installe their external antenna an then put their router inside the building. Bingo! Wi-Fi inside the building! Now I can check OTT from inside the Faraday cage.

I like the idea of the used dish but I didn't have one, so went with the Hawking stuff. It works great.

Burt