Why run high rpm's with a diesel ?

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
on ships engine power is rated at bells, on the Coast Guard ships I was on, we had diesel bells and bird bells (turbines), answering a flank bell on the diesels would yield 16-17 knots, on the birds a flank bell was around 35-38 knots. we also had a war emergency flank where we bumped the N-1 speed of the turbines up and injected water, we could pick up another few knots (classified) to catch a go fast. when all the crap would start shaking off book shelves we knew the Capt aksed for WEF, affectionately know as When Everything Flys apart.
38 knots on a ship is really fast! That would be fun to experience.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ball to the Wall is actually different but the same to Balls out. "balls out" is a reference to steam and hit and miss engine governors, "Balls to the Wall" is a reference to WW2 aircraft throttles and prop control levers, with all throttles and prop control handles full forward, engines are making max RPMs and manifold pressures, hence balls to the (fire)wall.
I have no desire to revive this controversy because it is simply not important.

That said, this is well explained above. Yes, "balls to the wall" is an aviation phrase but it was also in the reciprocating steam lexicon, and long before it became an aviation phrase. Indeed, the phrase was likely adopted from the steam lexicon by aviators.

All said, I do not care and suggest that everyone believe whatever they chose to believe.

SDT