Why do you use a toothbar?

ngaoffroad

Equipment
L4060HSTC, L3560HSTC, LP RCR2596, BH SQ84T, BH6, BH600SQ, Grapple, Tiller, Blade
May 31, 2017
Blairsville, GA
There is as much difference between a real, heavy duty "tooth bar" and piranha as there is between the piranha and the bare bucket edge. The tooth bar allows you to dig much faster and into much harder ground. I take mine off when I need to level or back drag a smooth surface. If you do much dirt work you won't regret it. If you don't, you might just want to save your money. I have done a lot of digging big holes and grading and moving dirt without one...but it was a lot slower and used more fuel and still could not get as deep or move as much.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The better question would be....Why NOT use a toothbar???

some examples I've seen/done..

if you're moving 100s of bucket loads of gravel, never use a toothbar
if you're moving sand, never use a bucket
if you're scratching and loadng paydirt , never use a toothbar
if you're mixing concrete in your bucket, never us a toothbar
if you're installing septic beds, neve use a toothbar

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
+1 on everything said about the Piranha. Great improvement to the bucket if you want to dig, but with that improvement comes a hazard or two. Never leave the edge of that bucket where you might bump into it. It is SHARP, and it WILL hurt. I split the side of a sneaker open just brushing up against mine while I was walking past it. Fortunately, it just got the shoe, and not my foot. I don't wear sneakers around it any more, and I always try to point the bucket downward a little. It may not be so dangerous when it gets some wear on it, but until then, be aware of that edge.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I had a tooth bar on my L3301 and it worked great for removing brush. Since I'm getting a new heavy duty grapple from EA I'm going to see if I can get away with not having a tooth bar on my new MX5400 and just use the grapple for removing brush.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
What Magicman said. I was lucky enough to get another Kubota bucket on the cheap 250.00 Keep the EA Wicked 55 grapple on most of the time,Bucket #1 has huge tooth bar w 6 teeth that came off Bush Hog brand 2240 QT loader bucket, Bucket #2 has factory sraight edge, Different tools for different jobs, neither bucket can do the job the other one does. Good luck on all your projects.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Field olives and fence lines are the reason I bought a Piranha for my B3200. I got tired of the olives coming back after brush hogging my property. Now I just lower the bucket and the bar grabs them and rips them out of the ground. Makes it easy to mulch with the brush hog and they don't come back. It also comes in handy when getting in to the fence rows to pop out the multiflora rose and other invasive plants. Nice to be able to lower the bucket to the ground and sheer plants off or rip them out. I have tried digging a bit but with our clay, the FEL on a B3200 is not the tool to use alone.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Did the 'math' 2 years ago and it'd cost me over $456.00 CDN to get one here, so I made my own using steel that was laying around. The BX23S bucket has 7, 5/8" holes so no drilling either ! OK, it's not as tough so I have to regrind 1-2 times a year, takes maybe 10 minutes, so not a big deal.
I make 100-140 cuyds of garden 'triple mix' every season and tt's great at breaking up mulch, compost,dirt,etc. Also good at 'back dragging' to level off plowed areas.

how much to make me one? Lol

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Is that red clay? Our clay up north looks like potters clay. I'd show you but it decided to snow in April here today.

20210401_185812.jpg

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hay Crash, 'they' are shutting down Ontario for an entire MONTH...might partially reopen 1st week in May..so I'll have LOTS of time to make you one ! Still have the 'jig' to get all 7 holes in a row....
kid next door paid $800 for maybe, MAYBE 200# of steel today !!! think I'll paid my steel gold !

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Hay Crash, 'they' are shutting down Ontario for an entire MONTH...might partially reopen 1st week in May..so I'll have LOTS of time to make you one ! Still have the 'jig' to get all 7 holes in a row....
kid next door paid $800 for maybe, MAYBE 200# of steel today !!! think I'll paid my steel gold !
holy crap. I got a deal on some steel last summer, a friend of mine who does metal work said the price is getting crazy. However he is still busy building things. He does sculptures and custom metal fab work. I should just grab a chunk of flat Stock and use the scrap metal bin to make teeth. I have access to a plasma cutter but 3/8“ is as thick as it can cut.