Who has a Drone? Why?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have really been interested in getting a drone. Mainly just to mess around on our land, but because of that I cannot justify the expense--a decent one seems to be above $600 DJI Mini 2, was the one I was looking at. With Prime Days its about $479 with three batteries right now.

Those of you that have them for "fun" as opposed to work purposes, was it worth the money? Do you find it useful for anything else that I may not be thinking of?

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I have a DJI Mavic Air 2, bought it just for fun. I have taken some great pictures of our property and our beautiful sunsets with it. I got this one because of the great camera it has. Was it worth it? from a purely financial standpoint, no way, it has not made me a cent! From a personal enjoyment standpoint, Absolutely! Good Luck! There is an app called B4UFLY that tells you of any restrictions nearby.

Reactions: 2 users

TSmith2670

Equipment
BX2670, B6000
Dec 28, 2015
Hummelstown, Pa.
My wife got me a Mavic 2 Mini for a gift. Not expecting it at all. Playing around with it now but it takes great pictures and videos. Really easy to fly but I haven't crashed it yet. I guess she thought I would like one because her best friends son fly's them professionally. It is a bunch of fun and very relaxing.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I have an older DJI Mavic2 and can’t speak to any of the newer models out there, but use mine to keep an eye on my property and food plots.
Very nice to scramble a bird out to see if the unexpected sound of a chainsaw or ATV is on my property or not. It’s really just a flying camera for my purposes.
If you do get one, the best advice I can give you is stay up to date on FAA regulations yourself (not here-say from someone’s cousin’s pool boy’s sister’s boyfriend for any interpretation). Also, figure out which way the wind is blowing when you take off and be sure to fly out into a head-wind, as sooner or later, you’re gonna need the tailwind to get you back home—that’s 1301 takeoffs and 1300 [planned] landings of experience there 🤣

Reactions: 1 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Those of you that have them for "fun" as opposed to work purposes, was it worth the money? Do you find it useful for anything else that I may not be thinking of?
My wife is a teacher and drones on and on about the problems with admin and parents and such. I wouldn't call it fun, and it really has no purpose other than for her to have a chance to vent. I really don't find the droning useful for anything else. Not worth the money ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
There is no need to attempt to justify the expense. Just buy it. I don't think the purchase will negatively impact your terminal (when you die) total net worth figure and if it does so what. Consider it an investment in your continuing education. When you are tired of it sell it or donate it to the Ukrainian Army. Buy a good one. Thats my advice.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
So what kind of winds can you fly in? How does hot weather affect them? I probably will never own one, but have thought it would be fun and might have a few uses for one.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I fly RC airplanes, not drones, but many of my friends have them and I've had those guys come out and help me with recon jobs.
I got video of behind my chimney up on the steel roof for inspection.
Also you can look across rivers and such if you want to check on the land there.
Very useful for many things but not exciting to fly unless you want to race, watching those guys is amazing.
Unless for racing, nobody I know flies drones for fun.
They are easy to fly, and easy to crash.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've thought about buying one for target spotting and other things. Fly it out to the 1,000 yard target, have it hover off to one side and use it to spot hits (and misses) on the steel plate. From what I've read, flight time is around 30 minutes on a charge for the Mavic models which would be ok.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have a Phantom 4 for several years. I use(d) it for video photography. Got some interesting clips. Then they started really legislating where u could fly.
Most of my flying was in state parks. No longer allowed. The current regulations say it must be in your sight at all times. That's a limiting factor in this area / topography.
It's a dust gatherer now.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I got a nice camera drone for xmas and I used it for checking my roof & gutters. Takes some time to learn how to control/operate the thing. I've crashed it so many times parts have broken off, still flies though. Haven't used it in years, don't remember the name or manufacturer.

My neighbor's kid has one and I see it regularly over the neighborhood; I actually hear it before I spot it. Freaked me out the first time I saw it over my backyard:oops:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Not a fan of DJI. They log all your flights and push automatic updates you have to use. If you are not connected to the internet, they limit your flight to a few hundred feet. This is what my friend has told me. He would always delete his flight log (just on principal) before connecting to his internet.

I had the first Mini and crashed it, since DJI is the only one allowed to repair it, when I put a new camera (not from DJI) the serial numbers did not match and the drone was disabled... I had to mail it to them. Luck would have it that I was able to return it to the store for full credit.

Just not happy with the way they run their business plan... I have a right to repair MY drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
If you are not connected to the internet, they limit your flight to a few hundred feet.
Can you explain that? How are you to be connected to the internet, via phone, WIFI? What if I want to use it where I hunt and have no internet? Are you saying it won't work but a few hundred feet?

Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess I could use one to fly over lake erie and look for my guns I lost in that boating accident

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Are there any privacy laws regarding hovering drones over someone else's property for extended periods or constant over flying?

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Can you explain that? How are you to be connected to the internet, via phone, WIFI? What if I want to use it where I hunt and have no internet? Are you saying it won't work but a few hundred feet?

Thanks
I can’t speak to O&T’s experience, but neither my old broken down Phantom4 nor my newer (from 2019) Mavic2 Zoom need(ed) to be connected to the internet in order to fly. I do keep up with the various software and firmware updates, but when and where I’m flying, there’s no internet to be had.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Are there any privacy laws regarding hovering drones over someone else's property for extended periods or constant over flying?

Do that up here on my property and you lose your drone. Got two of them so far.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users