Which to buy L2501 or L3301

rgOO6

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT
Sep 12, 2021
Villa Rica, GA
I have not had my L2501DT very long at all, but I really cannot imagine needing a bigger tractor. I continue to be impressed with what I can do with it. I have 4 acres. About 2 acres is cleared (including my house). I have about a 100 yard gravel driveway. I have a 1/2 acre garden. I also plan to mow about a 1 acre spot below me as well for my parents. I am not in a hurry to do any of it. So slow and steady is fine with me. In L in 1st gear I have broken shank teeth. So the only advantage I can imagine is PTO power that would make a difference. I tend to agree with other's comments, that once you go over 25 HP you might as well get all you can get. I just would never use that much tractor. It is so cheap (compared to the tractor upcharge) to just pay someone with a CAT 630 to come move the big stuff once every few years. I really do not even need a big rotary cutter. If I have a lot of stuff over 1" diameter to take down, I'll just call someone with a dozer and get it taken down, leveled, and nice. I bought the L2501 more for maintenance than a work horse. Although I think it makes a nice workhorse for the money. I attached a picture of one of the rocks I pulled out of the ground with the box blade. I did hit two rocks I could not move, but the CAT 630 could not move them either.

I would say that getting the HST or the DT is a bigger decision. For new tractor operators the HST is nice, but if I am pulling a box blade or a mower a long way, it is really nice to just put the tractor in gear and let it ride. I also watched some pulling tests and the DT outpulled the HST by quite a lot. Maybe that is why I don't have any issues (I got the DT).

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
DPF has been around a log time, even kubota DPF! You can clearly see the hold outs for whatever reason, but this the reality we live in. The emission system has a warranty, when it's out of warranty, do with it what you want. The jump in PTO HP is not "insignificant". If you dont want the PTO HP then pass. If you are pushing the limits tilling, brush hogging, then its worthy of a consideration.

Hold outs are typically the same people who dont want small displacement turbo gas engines in their cars either. None of this stuff is "new". There are lots of DPF trucks, and machines out there working every day.

If Kubota DPF sucked so bad, the internet would be blowing up like it did with the B3350

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
It's not that it sucks, some of us just don't want to unknown expense it will eventually bring.

Even though I make good money, I'm the type of person that keeps my stuff. I hear all these stories of people making out like bandits trading stuff in.....well I tend to get ripped off when I buy, then ripped off when I sell. I don't have the "gift" So I keep my stuff until it becomes an expense, then I just replace it.

So I'm sure that's why many of us just avoid it when a 26 h.p. tractor will do the tasks we need to do.

And when I need bigger, I use my antique tractors that can always be fixed with a wrench and a hammer and a screw driver.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
...I tend to get ripped off when I buy, then ripped off when I sell.
you are not alone my friend! I think what the internet says and what actually happens with real money in real life are two different things. At least that's usually my experience as well.

but just because a car / truck / machine have an emission system on them, doesn't mean they can't have a long drama free service life.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My MX has DPF and although I wish it didn't it's easy to live with once you know what to do when the tractor wants to do a regen. I have about 70 hours on my MX now and have been through two regen cycles. No big deal and I wouldn't opt for a lower hp tractor to avoid DPF, no way. If I could use a larger tractor than an MX I'd buy a bigger one without a second thought for DPF or DEF.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
you are not alone my friend! I think what the internet says and what actually happens with real money in real life are two different things. At least that's usually my experience as well.

but just because a car / truck / machine have an emission system on them, doesn't mean they can't have a long drama free service life.
Not to change the subject here but just had a guy tell me he just traded his one year old pickup for a new one with this covid buying frenzy going on. Said he got the new truck PLUS 12 thousand. So he ordered another new one and traded this one after 4 months and got new one and 6 grand cash.

Here's how it works for me. Bought a new one, paid it off in a year. Dealer calls me and says I'm in the perfect position to trade and stay in a new vehicle. Then they offered me HALF of what I paid on an 18 month old vehicle. That's how it works for me every time, LOL

Seems like the Kubota's are the only things I can get good money for. Had offers from my dealer, but I just keep them. I don't need the latest greatest.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
haha exactly!
I just sold a 9 month old B2601, the dealer offered me 55% of what I paid for as a trade in 9 months ago. Not 1 dealer, 4 dealers. I very narrowly avoided a kick in the nuts and sold it privately at about a 27% loss. Cost of decisions, and my personal reality. I think inventory is back, and the covid hysteria is over.

circling back to topic.... Regarding "slightly higher HP" in exchange for DPF. Today was my first day moving fill and stone in the LX3310. I saw a significant difference vs the normally aspirated B2601. The engine did not lug more than 100 RPM. On the B2601, high throttle setting, I could easily lug the engine way down if I wasn't careful while scooping full buckets. Not sure if it was a function of forced induction or just a little more HP.

Last edited:

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
haha exactly!
I just sold a 9 month old B2601, the dealer offered me 55% of what I paid for as a trade in 9 months ago. Not 1 dealer, 4 dealers. I very narrowly avoided a kick in the nuts and sold it privately at about a 27% loss. Cost of decisions, and my personal reality. I think inventory is back, and the covid hysteria is over.
Same. Plenty of buddies that "make a killing" on buying and reselling stuff, but NOT me. If I take 25% loss after a few years, I think I've done good.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Good luck finding a tractor. I just secured my spot on the waiting list for an LX3310. I was told I might have it by next spring.
Region call around. I was getting the same 9-11 month wait from my dealer in NJ. A few phone calls later I found two dealers with them in stock, loader, accessories ect. Had the machine in under 2 weeks. They are out there. Had to travel about 2 hours.

RegionRat

Equipment
LX3310
Sep 20, 2021
Northwest Indiana
haha exactly!

circling back to topic.... Regarding "slightly higher HP" in exchange for DPF. Today was my first day moving fill and stone in the LX3310. I saw a significant difference vs the normally aspirated B2601. The engine did not lug more than 100 RPM. On the B2601, high throttle setting, I could easily lug the engine way down if I wasn't careful while scooping full buckets. Not sure if it was a function of forced induction or just a little more HP.
Would you recommend the LX3310? I just agreed on pricing and got on a list for one. I'm nervous, because I never got to see one in person before ordering. I have 5 acres consisting of a 1 acre home site / yard, 300 foot paved drive, 1/2 acre pond, 2 acres of pasture, and the rest is wooded. Duties would include snow removal, rotary cutter, garden tilling, and whatever else. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I think it will suit you well. I had a BX, then a B2601 and now the LX. I've only had the LX for 35 hours and am finally getting into work with it, tilling, moving fill, crushed stone, flail mowing. It's difference in power is perceivable over the B2601. The B2601 did everything I asked it to, I upgraded mostly for comfort and a little extra room at the operator station. I am really happy with it.

Had I waited for my dealer in NJ they said "maybe spring 2022"... I called a lot of dealers, some had machines and no loaders, many nothing. The larger dealers seemed to have a better handle on inventory. I kept calling further and further away and landed on a dealer like buying a machine in 2019, non-event. They had loaders, 3rd function, rear valves, larger buckets all in stock.

I think some dealers will have you think no one has anything, but the inventory is out there. Messicks had something like 15 LXs when I spoke with them (I know thats too far for you) but just an indication how some dealers are doing over others.

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Would you recommend the LX3310? I just agreed on pricing and got on a list for one. I'm nervous, because I never got to see one in person before ordering. I have 5 acres consisting of a 1 acre home site / yard, 300 foot paved drive, 1/2 acre pond, 2 acres of pasture, and the rest is wooded. Duties would include snow removal, rotary cutter, garden tilling, and whatever else. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
The LX will be a great tractor for you and your listed uses.
Mike

RegionRat

Equipment
LX3310
Sep 20, 2021
Northwest Indiana
I think it will suit you well. I had a BX, then a B2601 and now the LX. I've only had the LX for 35 hours and am finally getting into work with it, tilling, moving fill, crushed stone, flail mowing. It's difference in power is perceivable over the B2601. The B2601 did everything I asked it to, I upgraded mostly for comfort and a little extra room at the operator station. I am really happy with it.

Had I waited for my dealer in NJ they said "maybe spring 2022"... I called a lot of dealers, some had machines and no loaders, many nothing. The larger dealers seemed to have a better handle on inventory. I kept calling further and further away and landed on a dealer like buying a machine in 2019, non-event. They had loaders, 3rd function, rear valves, larger buckets all in stock.

I think some dealers will have you think no one has anything, but the inventory is out there. Messicks had something like 15 LXs when I spoke with them (I know thats too far for you) but just an indication how some dealers are doing over others.
Glad your enjoying the machine. Would you recommend filling the tires and or spacers? Are you running a 60" bucket? If so does the loader struggle at all?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Glad your enjoying the machine. Would you recommend filling the tires and or spacers? Are you running a 60" bucket? If so does the loader struggle at all?
I have not found this loader to struggle or lug the engine when picking up full buckets (60" with toothbar), I usually run it around 2200 for most operations. The tires on my 2601 were not filled, and on the LX they are filled, it is a dramatic difference for the better. I have 1.5 wheel spacers on the shelf in the shop but am not sure if im going to install them or not. Adding 3" to the rear track brings it to around 57", which is getting pretty close to most of my 60" implements, so im on the fence about them. It feels less tippy than the 2601 did.

Did you opt out of the "swift-tach" feature of the loader?

RegionRat

Equipment
LX3310
Sep 20, 2021
Northwest Indiana
I have not found this loader to struggle or lug the engine when picking up full buckets (60" with toothbar), I usually run it around 2200 for most operations. The tires on my 2601 were not filled, and on the LX they are filled, it is a dramatic difference for the better. I have 1.5 wheel spacers on the shelf in the shop but am not sure if im going to install them or not. Adding 3" to the rear track brings it to around 57", which is getting pretty close to most of my 60" implements, so im on the fence about them. It feels less tippy than the 2601 did.

Did you opt out of the "swift-tach" feature of the loader?
Ok cool. I'll definitely get the tires filled then. It's cheap anyway. I did not get the swift-tach. I had heard from some that said they leak. No clue on the validity of that.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
haha exactly!

From my perspective you did receive a "kick in the nuts". A 27% loss in 9 months is a lot. Used pick up trucks are being sold on carvana for $5,000 over original invoice. Consider that strange scenario.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
From my perspective you did receive a "kick in the nuts". A 27% loss in 9 months is a lot. Used pick up trucks are being sold on carvana for $5,000 over original invoice. Consider that strange scenario.
From my perspective a tractor is not a pick up truck.

Losing money inside 9 months is a kick in the nuts no matter how you cut it (55>27). Just the cost of doing business when you buy new and trade up. In my experience, any savings buying used are lost in mechanical or cosmetic repairs. So I buy new and take the risk of owning depreciation should I sell it.

I traded in a 6 month old F150 in December of 2020. Similar experience, everyone on the internet “makes money” on pandemic trade ins. I’m here to say it wasn’t my case. Strong trade in value, but I definitely wasn’t going to come out ahead trading into a new F250.

The only saving grace with the tractor was the purchase price was stable, and there was inventory when looking in the right place. Which was not the case with my truck.

It is hilarious when I read about people suggesting to others to “list their used tractor for retail or over retail and sell it on Craigslist”. Good luck buddy! These are fairy tales.

I don’t regret either of these transactions in the least, was totally worth the upgrade, to me. ymmv.

Last edited:

ebinator

Equipment
L3301 Loader and grapple, backhoe
Nov 6, 2021
wisconsin
If you have decided on the L series you did so for a reason. Forget the ego stuff and just go to the math. I did the 0% finance and wanted my payment at $325/month. My needs were: backhoe,loader, 3rd function grapple. I was a first time compact buyer with some limited knowledge and experience so I added Kubota care. With down I am at $324 month. Things to compare for me were: overall weight of tractor, pto rpm and HP, and hydraulic flow rates. I am more than satisfied with the 3301 would I like the 3901 well yay but I stayed on budget and my machine fills my needs. I'd suggest break it down to %'s HP v HP PTO vs PTO and overall weights. Then do your budget what % of increase for product is it worth the added cost vs value.