Which models are less "tippy"?

jsmootz

Equipment
BX2230 - L3750DT
I live in Appalachia, a world of hillside farms. My father has retired and no longer runs cattle. Once or twice a year we run a brush cutter over the now unused pasture ground.

He bought a B2400 4WD for the task but it isn't working out. It is light, with a high center of gravity and very unstable on the hills. My BX2300 is rock solid but too small for the acreage we mowing.

We are thinking an L series may be better. Does anyone have recommendations?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have an L245DT from somewhere around 1980. The rear wheels are two pieces that can be bolted in several different configurations so the rear width can be adjusted quite a ways. You might look for a tractor with wheels like that.

M7040

Equipment
M7040DT, Kubota 1153 loader, and a few toys to hook up.
Feb 5, 2011
pekin, IN
I had a 1993 L3450 that was great. I pulled a six ft. brush hog with no problem. Just remember to weight the wheels and move them out as far as you can ( most, if not all, are adjustable).

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Your equipment is newer than anything that I have, but here are some general guidlines, (and you may know these already).

I don't know how many acres you are mowing, but equipment that is too small will seem like it takes forever, while too large will not be cost effective.

For stability, you want the widest track and lowest center of gravity you can get.

If your brush hog is mounted, you may need front end weights to be able to steer. (Gotta have some weight on the steering axle for traction, even with two wheel drive).

If the tractor starts to feel tippy, turn down hill.

It may be cheapest to hire the mowing done.

Good Luck,

Robert

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I don't know much about mowing on a hillside - but it would seem that a heavier tractor would be best - without a cab - since the cab raises the center of gravity. The wider R4 tires (versus the narrower AG ones) might help too.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Tk1469, I bet the 3800 you have would be a pretty good choice. Never been on one myself but that's a nice HP range to be in I would think. How do you like yours so far?

Another point for the hillside mowing would be to have the tires fluid filled. Adds a good amount of weight and it's down low were it's needed. I met a guy last year that has the hilliest farm I have ever been on. I mowed hay on it and some was so steep it could only be done going straight up and down in 4wd. The owner came thru on his Kubota and it was ready for the hillside to say the least. About 60 hp I guess and the tires were wider than a 3008 Bushhog. I have one of these myself and the cut width is 98" and if I remember the over all is 103" wide. I never knew the wheels could be spread out that much. My M 9000 won't go that wide. His looked like factory rims but I don't really know. It would mowe a slope though.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Bulldog - I don't have the tractor yet - but I talk like I already do. I've researched the heck of this issue and finally decided on the 3800. I think it's a good combination of weight, HP, and dollars spent. As you soon as the weather breaks here in Michigan I will visiting my K dealer with pen in hand. Pictures will follow soon after. Stay tuned......

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
TK1469, I would tend to agree with your choice. I love my 3000. It does great for mowing the yard and doing gardens. The last several years I even have been using it for my hay raking. I added rear remotes to it last year and bought my wife a V-rake. I wish I had bought a bigger one now though. When I bought it I only had a F 150 and felt like this was about as heavy as I needed to go with. The tractor with fel and backhoe is just over 5,000 lbs and then a 3,000 lb trailer was all I wanted with a 1/2 ton truck. Now I'm pushing the safety limits of the tractor at times trying to handle round bales of hay. It does fine on flat ground but just a small slope and it will make me pinch the seat. It's just not a good feeling when a rear tire comes off the ground and a 1,000 lbs bale 4 or 5 feet in the air. A little more weight on the tractor would be nice and higher capacity loader would help as well. I'll be interested in your thoughts when you get your new baby and start putting it thru the paces. I bet you can't stand the wait but spring is not to far away. Waiting is hard to do. It took me 6 months to get my 9000 after I ordered it from the dealer. I just happened to fall in the time when Kubota had a shortage of 50 hp and under and had all their plant making nothing but that size tractors. It was worth the wait in the end though.