Which 72” (6’) 3 pt Rotary cutter is the best!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a lot of nook and cranny’s on my property and a lot of tree’s to mow around in tight quarters ! Land Pride has too many Chinese components now that they didn’t use to have. 🙂
I use a Woods BB720X, heavy 6' cutter with my L6060 and it's all she wants much of the time in my conditions. I do cut as close as possible but do keep the blades sharp. If stall guard is on, it is not uncommon for the computer to take ground speed to zero in the heavy stuff.

Advise you to stay within the weight limits in the Operators Manual. My 720X is a bit beyond the recommended 1,058 Lb. limit, and I've broken tractor hitch components three times so far.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Also, most of the 84” single spindle’s are cat 3/4
I had a Woods BB840X, heavy 7' cutter (since sold) that was Cat 2. Used it with my M9960 for awhile before buying a Woods BW15.50. It knew it was back there.

I certainly would not use a 84" cutter behind my L6060 in my conditions. Not even a light weight one.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I got chain guards front and back and would do it again if I ever buy another rotary cutter such as a bat wing or flex wing. Here are some photos of the RCR1884 the day I bought it.

View attachment 98861

View attachment 98862

View attachment 98863

View attachment 98864
I use chains in the rear but no longer on the front as front belting is more effective keeping debris off of the back of my tractors.

Rear chains help to distribute the clippings better but one must be careful when backing and turning around trees, which I do routinely, to avoid damaging the chain hangers.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Most gear boxes are NOW made in China some of them May have been made in Italy but post Covid crap moved them to China. 🤮

I’ve decided that I am definitely going with the new Rhino ag TW model but I want to go with the TW37 7’. I’m just not sure that my 53 pto hp will handle it or not. I kind of need to make a decision quickly because I have a 6’ and 7’ located that are great deals and in stock. From what I know, parts ( if needed) are readily available.
For some reason I’m not getting these updates In my email🤷🏼‍♂️.
See my comments immediately above.

My Woods BB720X, 6' cutter is all my L6060 wants in my conditions.

OldSchool59

Equipment
L6060 HSTC, Rhino Ag TW36 shredder
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
I use a Woods BB720X, heavy 6' cutter with my L6060 and it's all she wants much of the time in my conditions. I do cut as close as possible but do keep the blades sharp. If stall guard is on, it is not uncommon for the computer to take ground speed to zero in the heavy stuff.

Advise you to stay within the weight limits in the Operators Manual. My 720X is a bit beyond the recommended 1,058 Lb. limit, and I've broken tractor hitch components three times so far.
I wish I could afford the woods 👍🏻! Thanks for your input .

a little off topic but I’m trying to get used to the loader on this tractor! The loader really seems weak but I’m only running about 1500 rpm’s because I’m still in break in. It will stall the tractor out with half a bucket of clay. My 2012 JD Never stalled out- it would just stop lifting when capacity was met but never stalled and I worked it hard.

Last edited:

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
I use chains in the rear but no longer iin the front as front belting iif more effective keeping debris off of the back of my tractors.

Rear chains help to distribute the clippings better but one must be careful when backing and turning around trees, which I do routinely, to avoid damaging the chain hangers.
Nice shredder - I looked at these pretty hard but my inner me said “ you will tear those tail wheels off in a New York minute” 😜

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Most gear boxes are NOW made in China some of them May have been made in Italy but post Covid crap moved them to China. 🤮

I’ve decided that I am definitely going with the new Rhino ag TW model but I want to go with the TW37 7’. I’m just not sure that my 53 pto hp will handle it or not. I kind of need to make a decision quickly because I have a 6’ and 7’ located that are great deals and in stock. From what I know, parts ( if needed) are readily available.
For some reason I’m not getting these updates In my email🤷🏼‍♂️.

I do own a LP 2021 flat top and there are two items made in China on it! The Gear box and the black cast Yoke for the float.

it’s been a great little shredder but this went with my 37 hp jd. LP is just a little light in the pants for me.
53 pto hp will handle a 7’ cutter. A bigger concern is the 3ph and weight of the unit sticking out so far behind

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas

If you don’t mind me asking, which components broke?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That’s what I use on my MX. The 7’ unit is just too large to maneuver around trees and other obstacles.
I don't have much of anything to maneuver around so the RCR1884 (7ft) works for me, and I have a 62" offset flail if I need to get fancy! :ROFLMAO:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
53 pto hp will handle a 7’ cutter. A bigger concern is the 3ph and weight of the unit sticking out so far behind
Depends entirely upon what you plan to cut,, how closely, and how fast you wish to move when doing so.

Agreed, concerning weight out back. I use 4 front weights on the front of my L6060 (always remove FEL when mowing) and sometimes carry the front axle when cresting rises, etc.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
That’s what I use on my MX. The 7’ unit is just too large to maneuver around trees and other obstacles.
Agreed.

I bought my Woods BB840X for use with a (since sold) heavy 60 PTO HP MF tractor. After selling the MF, I used it for a couple of years with my (replacement for the MF) M9960. The 9960 handled it OK without front weights (cast iron 240 Lb. front weight bracket installed but none of the 7 front weights installed) but the mower was simply too long for much of what I mow with either MF or 9960. Was OK in wide open areas but in such areas BW is much better and 7' single spindle cutters are not known for good cut quality. Surprised at cut quality of BW as compared to mounted mowers.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
If you don’t mind me asking, which components broke?
The bracket attaching the telescoping sway bars to the lower lift arms broke. First the left and later the right. Bracket is same for either side and I keep one on hand these days. Also broke one of the bolts attaching the front of the sway bars to the tractor bracket. Also keep one of these bolts on hand.

Planning to sell out soon and relocate but would replace heavy Woods with a lighter weight LP for use with the 6060 if not planning such. Hope to get away with heavy Woods for another year or so.

OldSchool59

Equipment
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
The bracket attaching the telescoping sway bars to the lower lift arms broke. First the left and later the right. Bracket is same for either side and I keep one on hand these days. Also broke one of the bolts attaching the front of the sway bars to the tractor bracket. Also keep one of these bolts on hand.

Planning to sell out soon and relocate but would replace heavy Woods with a lighter weight LP for use with the 6060 if not planning such. Hope to get away with heavy Woods for another year or so.
Not really what
I wanted to hear! I never had these problems with my JD and I worked the hayell out of it!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Not really what
I wanted to hear! I never had these problems with my JD and I worked the hayell out of it!
I expect that you will be OK so long as you use a cutter that is within the 1058 Lb. recommended weight limit.

Also advise you to put a 15/16" wrench on the nut attaching the bracket to the lower lift arm and tighten it as tightly as possible before each use. The nut wants to loosen despite the lock washer. Once it loosens a bit, the stud flexes, work hardening the metal. It took me 2 or 3 years to figure this out but I have had no failures since I started doing so. Knock on wood.

Reactions: 1 users