Where to set the throttle?

bor0050

Equipment
B2601 Tractor, LA435 Loader, BH70 Backhoe, BX2816 Snowblower
Nov 15, 2023
Invermere, BC
Just took delivery yesterday of my new 2601. Have been reading all the manuals and watching a lot of Youtubes on the backhoe and the loader. I haven’t yet seen much guidance on where to set the throttle for various jobs. Am about to start digging a few post holes and how do I tell if I have the engine revving high enough? I gather that the faster the motor is going, the faster the hydraulics will react but does the power/force go up with speed as well? Thx from a newby…

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Use the tractor a bit to get a feel for what works for the job. You should not need to exceed PTO speed which should be marked somewhere. A lower setting will have less speed on hydraulic accessories but the power should not be appreciably lower.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Just took delivery yesterday of my new 2601. Have been reading all the manuals and watching a lot of Youtubes on the backhoe and the loader. I haven’t yet seen much guidance on where to set the throttle for various jobs. Am about to start digging a few post holes and how do I tell if I have the engine revving high enough? I gather that the faster the motor is going, the faster the hydraulics will react but does the power/force go up with speed as well? Thx from a newby…
I had a B2620 and it was a great machine. many many years and 2,000 hrs of flawless service.

I believe my 540pto speed was 2,800 rpm.
I ran almost always at 2,000 rpm unless doing heavy loader work then stepped it up to maybe 2,200.
Same with snow work in the winter, rear pto snow blower at 2,200 when snow was dry and less than 12". stepped up to 2,700 in heavy wet snow.

BH was very smooth and easy to control once you get hang of the sticks. Rookies need practice to get smooth as once you get the machine jerking/bouncing feedback through the sticks makes it impossible to be smooth and quick. A gentle / light touch comes with practice. 2,000 rpm here as well.

this worked for me. Engine seemed happy and I know 2,000 hrs without any repairs, only fluid and filter changes, made me very happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Look at the tach on the dash..........are their markings on yours?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
3-point pto-driven post hole diggers run maybe 300 rpm pto speed which is barely above engine idle. The auger's instructions will state the max pto shaft rpm. Don't run it much above that.

My B2650HSD spec is 2500RPM for rated HP/Torque.

I run at 540 rear PTO (about 2400rpm engine) for the rotary cutter and wood chipper.

I run at 2500rpm mid-pto (matches engine rpm) when front snow blower is working, or at "rated" engine rpm of 2500rpm.

The backhoe warms up a few minutes at around 2000-2100 engine rpm then i set at 2500rpm for ongoing work.

All other jobs involving loader/forks or rear ground engaging implements like my boxblade my rpms vary according to work.

General loader bucket work minimum around 2000rpm, if heavily lifting/pushing then up to 2400-2500, if forks on then 1500rpm if nice delicate work needed, up to full 2500 if really heavy load moving.

Generally start at 2000 and if work load hits hard enough to start to lug engine I bump the throttle up.

I NEVER RUN AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. That's running at maxed out governor speed and is not a power improvement, and probably adds unnecessary wear and tear and wastes fuel.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mower WOT you dont want to lug it down so you get a good clean cut. Plowing snow,,, welll again dont lug the motor down,, 3 pt work look at the books for what ever you are going to run off the PTO Tiller 540 on the tach, rear mower 540 on the tach, PHD I dont know , just remember this they wok real nice untill you hit something like a root and they start to screw them selves in to the ground,, and you have to back the augger out by hand cause they aint got no reverse.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
My Dad's old Yanmar has a sticker saying to warm up at 1500 rpm for 5 minutes before getting after it. I do the same for my B2601. Similar power plants. Doing normal moving stuff I like about 2000 rpms and I kept it in there for the break in period. Probably overkill. Now that she's broken in and I have a 6 foot finish mower I will go full throttle in a heartbeat. Which is also exactly PTO speed on my tractor. She runs the 6 foot rear mounted mower real well. If your moving piles of dirt you'll want to run PTO speed. If you need to road to your neighbors place you'll want high range and max rpm.

Reactions: 1 user

bor0050

Equipment
B2601 Tractor, LA435 Loader, BH70 Backhoe, BX2816 Snowblower
Nov 15, 2023
Invermere, BC
Thanks to all for the help. Dug some post holes (not pretty, the shovel was out) running at 2000 and all seemed to go well. Appreciate the comments on the snowblower as well as that will probably happen sooner than later.

Reactions: 1 user

gmgmgm

Equipment
B2150 / L1361
Jan 22, 2020
United Kingdom
Also, if you are just getting used to the machine, it's a lot easier to grade/dig evenly with less power/throttle while you're getting used to it.

At higher power, it's too easy to gouge out too much.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
re: snowblower. What RPM's you ENGAGE your blower at and what RPM's you RUN your blower at will be 2 different rates. (same for the MMM if you have one)

(at least most would agree on that)

YMMV

Reactions: 1 users