Wheel weights for older Kubota L245DT

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I'm looking for rear wheel weights for my L245DT and wondering if others have had much luck finding used weights, whether "OEM" or "made to fit" weights. Suggestions for finding good weights? (looking for wheel weights only, not 3-point ballast or tire ballast).

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
After little more than 2 years search I finally found a set of front wheel weights for my B7100. I even bought the first set I found too! I havent seen any rear weights for my tractors yet either. They seem to be like the proverbial "hens teeth". But, i'm still looking, someday I'll find some rear weights!!!

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
Looks nice. I measured some new L-series kubota wheels for their weight-accepting holes and came out with a six holes 10" across one from another, same as my old 245, so at least I know they're made for current Kubotas. I just hate to fork over the money for new weights.

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I really like the looks of those weights. did you purchase the "blanks" new or used? did you mill the valve slot or have a shop do that?

these look very good, I need to locate a set of those!

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
Pulled the trigger on 4 new Kubota wheel weights--fit new L series but also fit my rear wheels great. I added 120 lbs per wheel so far, at a little more that $1 per lb... a little pricy, but they fit like a glove. Now trying to decide whether to add more the cast iron route or fluid ballast.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I really like the looks of those weights. did you purchase the "blanks" new or used? did you mill the valve slot or have a shop do that?

these look very good, I need to locate a set of those!
Thanks!
The "blanks" are cast iron exercise weights.... the fronts were used 35lbs that were given to me, and the rears were new 75 lbs that I bought from Craig's List (Phoenix Area) for 50 cents/lb.. The holes & slots were done on my verticle mill. The weights mimic the weight of the original ones available for my tractor as accessories.

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Wow, .50$ lb. that would be a bargain indeed for these parts. I'll have to keep my eyeballs focused for those. Do you remember the bolt circle dia. you milled in your blanks? just to double check.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Do you remember the bolt circle dia. you milled in your blanks?
Sorry, I don't....I knew I should have saved that bolt pattern info!
Hindsight is always 20/20. The rears were easy to measure (square 4 bolt pattern), the fronts required a little trig to calculate the diameter. (3 bolt pattern) The hole patterns in the rims were a little inaccurate (at least by my standards) so I measured all the holes in each wheel, both inside-to-inside and outside-to-outside, and then averaged them to get the proper spacing. I counterbored the holes to allow the square under the carriage bolt head to "bite" in the cast iron, and set them with a hammer rap at assembly. Interestingly, the rear valve stem cutouts where in indentical locations, while the fronts where about 10 degrees different from each other.
The standoffs were cut from 1" aluminum tubing with a .250 wall. (leaving a 1/2" hole for the carriage bolts) And, again, I should have saved their dimensions. One great thing about a project like this is that things can be pretty sloppy and still work fine. As a friend used to say "We ain't buildin' a church here!"