What's an appropriate discount on new BX?

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new BX2380 plus snowblower and middle mower. About 19.5k MSRP. Probably buying from a large Kubota dealer in Minnesota.

What is an appropriate discount ***percentage*** for the package? Is a 10% discount off MSRP before rebate appropriate?

Thank you.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new BX2380 plus snowblower and middle mower. About 19.5k MSRP. Probably buying from a large Kubota dealer in Minnesota.

What is an appropriate discount ***percentage*** for the package? Is a 10% discount off MSRP before rebate appropriate?

Thank you.[/QUOTE Sounds about right

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I think I was in the 10-11% range when all was said and done...seems standard but some dealers are WAY off. Three places were all in the 8-10% then my local dealer literally quoted me book price or even a bit higher and acted offended when I tried to negotiate. I walk in there with their competitor's hat on to buy small convenience parts and I've steered so many people away from them that their competitor should have comped my tractor for free based on the business I sent his way.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I think I was in the 10-11% range when all was said and done...seems standard but some dealers are WAY off. Three places were all in the 8-10% then my local dealer literally quoted me book price or even a bit higher and acted offended when I tried to negotiate. I walk in there with their competitor's hat on to buy small convenience parts and I've steered so many people away from them that their competitor should have comped my tractor for free based on the business I sent his way.
Thanks gentlemen.

When you say "when all said and done" do you still mean 10-11% off MSRP? *THEN* minus rebate and plus tax?

Any reason to believe I can do even better than that or is that probably the limit on a 19.5k sub-compact Kubota?

Thanks again.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Thanks gentlemen.

When you say "when all said and done" do you still mean 10-11% off MSRP? *THEN* minus rebate and plus tax?

Any reason to believe I can do even better than that or is that probably the limit on a 19.5k sub-compact Kubota?

Thanks again.
I just checked back. My out-the-door delivered price was about 10.5% off the MSRP that the builder gave me on the kubota site, plus they filled the tires and added the FEL cutting edge as a standard package at no more cost.

This was at 0% so I'm sure I paid a hidden upcharge somewhere in there, too.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Thanks gentlemen.

Thanks again.
I also used Barlows as a guidepost. They seem like they beat EVERYONE in terms of delivered price....at the cost of some unpredictable delivery times, remote dealer, etc. If you are getting anywhere near what they quote you for a package, you're probably doing pretty well!

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I just checked back. My out-the-door delivered price was about 10.5% off the MSRP that the builder gave me on the kubota site, plus they filled the tires and added the FEL cutting edge as a standard package at no more cost.

This was at 0% so I'm sure I paid a hidden upcharge somewhere in there, too.
10.5% off MSRP (from the Kubota website) *INCLUDING* tax?

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I also used Barlows as a guidepost. They seem like they beat EVERYONE in terms of delivered price....at the cost of some unpredictable delivery times, remote dealer, etc. If you are getting anywhere near what they quote you for a package, you're probably doing pretty well!
Ok, I'll learn what Barlow's is and get a price.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting, The last 10 Kubota's I've purchased (I've owned more than 10 in my lifetime, I never even considered asking for a discount and I bought them all from 2 dealers and I felt the price was fair without 'lowballing' anyone.

Only one I dickered a bit on was the last one I bought this spring, a used open station M9 with a loader with 4500 hours on it at a JD dealer, I took full advantage of them not knowing what they really had and bought it for 16 OTD and had them deliver it to the farm and I was 300 miles from where I bought it.

Normally I don't do that, I'm a name your price and if I don't feel it's fair (you make money which is necessary and I get a fair shake and I'm good with that), if not, I walk away and I know ahead of time what an equitable price is.

Just bought a Kubota Sidekick side by side from my dealer, 13 otd with folding windshield, turn signals, roof and lined bed.

I know he made money and I'm happy with the price but more important to me is, if I have an issue, I know it will be dealt with promptly and correctly. You lowball a dealer he (or she) might not be that 'hospitable' when it comes to service or parts.

Don't play that game as a rule.Might add, I never pay sales tax, we have an ag exemption.

Last edited:

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Interesting, The last 10 Kubota's I've purchased (I've owned more than 10 in my lifetime, I never even considered asking for a discount and I bought them all from 2 dealers and I felt the price was fair without 'lowballing' anyone.

Only one I dickered a bit on was the last one I bought this spring, a used open station M9 with a loader with 4500 hours on it at a JD dealer, I took full advantage of them not knowing what they really had and bought it for 16 OTD and had them deliver it to the farm and I was 300 miles from where I bought it.

Normally I don't do that, I'm a name your price and if I don't feel it's fair (you make money which is necessary and I get a fair shake and I'm good with that), if not, I walk away and I know ahead of time what an equitable price is.

Just bought a Kubota Sidekick side by side from my dealer, 13 otd with folding windshield, turn signals, roof and lined bed.

I know he made money and I'm happy with the price but more important to me is, if I have an issue, I know it will be dealt with promptly and correctly. You lowball a dealer he (or she) might not be that 'hospitable' when it comes to service or parts.

Don't play that game as a rule.Might add, I never pay sales tax, we have an ag exemption.
A discount from the price the dealer offered you? Or a discount off of suggested retail price (Kubota MSRP)?

Just curious.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only time I ever checked MSRP on any tractor was an M5-151 and I did that just out of patent curiosity. Not that I plan on buying a new tractor between now and when I quit farming because I don't. I own exactly the 2 ag tractors I need to do what I do.

Don't really matter to me and when I bought my M9 cab unit in 1996, I never checked MSRP then. Just bought it. I felt my dealer (same one I deal with today) was giving me a fair shake Like the UTV my wife just bought last Wednesday, I have no idea what MSRP is but comparing them to say Polaris, the pricing is very fair in my view.

I don' price shop, never have, especially with tractors, I feature shop because I know what I need to handle the tasks I do and I buy according to those parameters.

I don't nickle and dime anyone. Don't think it's a good thing to do and it makes for a bad business relationship after the handshake.

Far as an appropriate discount, don't know what that is.

E10

Nov 16, 2018
NY
I am shopping for a BX and can only get 5% off MSRP. Every local dealer has given me the same within 50 miles that I have tried in upstate NY.

In fact, I checked with one famous place in PA that makes great YouTube videos and another that is commonly said to ship long distance for cheap and guess what. I give them my zip code and they come back with...5%

Now where did I put that tin foil hat of mine.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I am shopping for a BX and can only get 5% off MSRP. Every local dealer has given me the same within 50 miles that I have tried in upstate NY.

In fact, I checked with one famous place in PA that makes great YouTube videos and another that is commonly said to ship long distance for cheap and guess what. I give them my zip code and they come back with...5%

Now where did I put that tin foil hat of mine.
Interesting...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Really a lot depends on the Mdl as well the most popular Mdls will get less of a discount if you will. Your dealer has an over head to deal with, if the Mdl is something he really doesnt sell many of you might get a better deal And yes if the dealer gives you 10% below MSRP you pay tax on that price and the associated items bought at that time. Sometimes a dealer might toss in something to sweeten the deal just to move that tractor. SO if a dealer has to haul it 50 miles away he has to pay a driver, fuel for a truck, and a lot of costs he has to cover and may only give 5%. Understand every dealer pays the same price to Kubota for the same tractors on their lots, and while a lot of people think the dealers are making a killing most times they are cutting pretty close to the bone on prices

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Really a lot depends on the Mdl as well the most popular Mdls will get less of a discount if you will. Your dealer has an over head to deal with, if the Mdl is something he really doesnt sell many of you might get a better deal And yes if the dealer gives you 10% below MSRP you pay tax on that price and the associated items bought at that time. Sometimes a dealer might toss in something to sweeten the deal just to move that tractor. SO if a dealer has to haul it 50 miles away he has to pay a driver, fuel for a truck, and a lot of costs he has to cover and may only give 5%. Understand every dealer pays the same price to Kubota for the same tractors on their lots, and while a lot of people think the dealers are making a killing most times they are cutting pretty close to the bone on prices
Thanks for the help.

Obviously I know I have to pay tax on the purchase price, I was asking the other posters for clarification on what they paid (if they were including tax in their discount as they were using terms like "out the door" etc ..).

The dealer I'm talking to is high-volume and I can pick the unit up if it saves me money. Hoping for 10% off MSRP, minus the rebate, plus tax on new BX2380 + blower + MMM.

E10

Nov 16, 2018
NY
All the quotes I have received already included the $700 in rebates off! I calculate the percentage discount off of MSRP before tax.
I AM looking for a typical model so it may be an easy sell to the next guy calling so.

E10

Nov 16, 2018
NY
No no I meant that the dealer could say forget you, I’ve got more people waiting in line to pay me full price. :)

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
No no I meant that the dealer could say forget you, I’ve got more people waiting in line to pay me full price. :)
The discounts have mostly evaporated with the new tariffs the last year.

Barlow dropped my BX23S in my driveway for 19,800. SSQA, 60” mmm and 3pt kit. No dealer was under 21 around me. ( Salem, Sharon Springs, at the time-Columbia Tractor, Emerichs. ) Dont forget 8% tax if you’re not a farmer like Im not....