What would replace a M9540???

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Kubota M110X, Kubota M9540, and Kubota M6800
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
Our M9540 has over 1500 hours on it and we are thinking of replacing it with something that has the same engine frame but 110 horsepower on it and maybe used. I was thinking maybe a M5-111 but I don't know what else would work so I am free for recommendations!
~Jake

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Unless you ran the bags out of it and didn't keep up on routine maintenance, 1500 hours is chump change on a Kubota large frame tractor. I have 6 on one of my M's and a tad over 2 on the other. The one with 6, just got new shoes to the tune of 5 grand but I consider shoes a consumable item when farming. Zero mechanical issues on either and I fully expect them both to outlast me.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
Unless you ran the bags out of it and didn't keep up on routine maintenance, 1500 hours is chump change on a Kubota large frame tractor. I have 6 on one of my M's and a tad over 2 on the other. The one with 6, just got new shoes to the tune of 5 grand but I consider shoes a consumable item when farming. Zero mechanical issues on either and I fully expect them both to outlast me.
That's good.
We bought the tractor used with 7,000 hours on it in 2014 and it was our main loader tractor until we bought the M110X, we have kept it in best shape possible. This spring we are planning on fixing the AC, getting new front tires and fixing a small hydraulic leak. But where pretty much done with it for the year so we won't need it until hay season.
Just so you know I am 12 years old and I work for my dad on our farm.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well good for you, I hope you can farm till your grand kids are old enough to farm. 1500 hours isn't many hours on a big tractor or a small one for that matter, and if Dad has kept up all the things that need to be done like oil changes and filters, that old gal will most likely be running when your kids start farming. Now if you have the money or I should say Dad has the money, sure go for a new one, but the few bucks you put into it over the life time of the tractor sure out weights the price of a new one. Stay safe and Love you Pap all you can we don't have then around long enough
Peace
Skeets

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What I do, run hay and limited row cropping. Wish I had a young fellow to help me. All I have is a wife who don't even know how to start the tractors....lol

What's up with the AC? Low of refrigerant or other issues?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Well good for you, I hope you can farm till your grand kids are old enough to farm. 1500 hours isn't many hours on a big tractor or a small one for that matter, and if Dad has kept up all the things that need to be done like oil changes and filters, that old gal will most likely be running when your kids start farming. Now if you have the money or I should say Dad has the money, sure go for a new one, but the few bucks you put into it over the life time of the tractor sure out weights the price of a new one. Stay safe and Love you Pap all you can we don't have then around long enough
Peace
Skeets
Well Played, Sir. Well Played advice to this young man!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I think if you reread the OP the tractor is 7000 hours plus another 1500 hours. So they are looking at a used tractor that will service them if it has been well cared for. It might be getting tired and and you must look at the cost to repair or replace it.

The big boy tractor guys need to step up with some recommendations. What would a M9540 cost to refurbish? Without knowing the transmission is there a guess as to split the tractor for a new clutch? How much to freshen the engine?

I think it makes for an interesting topic. But I have no experience at repair cost for the big ones.

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
What I do, run hay and limited row cropping. Wish I had a young fellow to help me. All I have is a wife who don't even know how to start the tractors....lol

The whole motor is broken and that's because we tried to replace it once and the thing did not have any oil in it. So good thing it did not burn.

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
Peace
Skeets
Why thank you! Dad has kept up with the oil changes and air filters yearly.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Our M9540 has over 1500 hours on it and we are thinking of replacing it with something that has the same engine frame but 110 horsepower on it and maybe used. I was thinking maybe a M5-111 but I don't know what else would work so I am free for recommendations!
~Jake
That's good.
We bought the tractor used with 7,000 hours on it in 2014 and it was our main loader tractor until we bought the M110X, we have kept it in best shape possible. This spring we are planning on fixing the AC, getting new front tires and fixing a small hydraulic leak. But where pretty much done with it for the year so we won't need it until hay season.
Just so you know I am 12 years old and I work for my dad on our farm.
Does this tractor by any chance have 15,000 hours on it?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Does this tractor by any chance have 15,000 hours on it?
That was my guess from the reading too. 7,500 hours when they got it, another 7,500 hours on it since. But 7,500 hours is 40 hours a week for 4 years, so I guess 25 hours a week over 6 years, that's probably about right. (Well, in farming and particularly hay, I'd guess it's 80 hours a week for 20 weeks of the year, but that's another story).

15,000 is starting to get more to a point where you trade downtime against cost. Replacement may make sense.

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
That was my guess from the reading too. 7,500 hours when they got it, another 7,500 hours on it since. But 7,500 hours is 40 hours a week for 4 years, so I guess 25 hours a week over 6 years, that's probably about right. (Well, in farming and particularly hay, I'd guess it's 80 hours a week for 20 weeks of the year, but that's another story).

15,000 is starting to get more to a point where you trade downtime against cost. Replacement may make sense.
ok thanks. maybe if we fixed all it's problems then sold it would probably be worth more wright?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Didn't realize it had 15K hours on the meter. I'd say at 15K it's getting time before it's worth nothing. It will always be worth something because it's a pre-4 engine. Think I'd get the same thing again, but newer.

Thought I had a lot with 6 on the meter. WOW.

Testament to how rugged and reliable Kubota drive trains are.

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
Didn't realize it had 15K hours on the meter. I'd say at 15K it's getting time before it's worth nothing. It will always be worth something because it's a pre-4 engine. Think I'd get the same thing again, but newer.

Thought I had a lot with 6 on the meter. WOW.

Testament to how rugged and reliable Kubota drive trains are.
Yes! The only problem is they don't make M9540's anymore from what I know. That's one of the reason's we wanted to get a M5-111.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yes! The only problem is they don't make M9540's anymore from what I know. That's one of the reason's we wanted to get a M5-111.
But you get all the EPA mandated stuff and the ECM control as well. In the trucking industry, the FMCSA had to impose a rule that barred truck owners from buying a new Glider kit and putting their pre 4 engines in them. Truckers know how bad the EPA regs are.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
For a machine that's doing real tractor work, running at target revs most of the time, EPA stuff is less concerning. And generally the emissions controls work better on the larger machines. If you're putting that many hours on a machine, I'd get the newest and lowest hour machine you can afford.

On fixing before selling - maybe, maybe not. If you're doing the work to fix it yourself, probably yes (because you'll get back more than you spend). If you're paying a dealer to fix it, better to trade it to a dealer, they'll fix it with their own money (and without dealer margin) then sell it. It probably depends what's wrong and how much you like fixing machinery, but my guess is you're better selling it to someone who likes fixing things and wants the challenge. They'll save a bit of money, you'll avoid having to fix it.

On your specific question of: "What new-ish Kubota models are equivalent to the M9540", I don't know - I live at the small tractor end of the market. But I'm sure someone knows. I think I hear:
  • A newer or lower hour M9540 - you're putting a lot of hours on, you can probably find one similar age to what you have but with 1-2,000 hours if you look. That'd be good buying if you don't need new features, and it would avoid emissions controls
  • An M5-111 as you suggest, it would have emissions, and given it looks like you'll work it hard for 6 years then sell it, I'd suggest emissions aren't a big problem - they won't have time to go wrong/wear out/break, and you'll be keeping the engine and exhaust hot so you won't even notice they're there
I suspect there are other similar models and people on here could suggest what's good, bad or indifferent about each of them.

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
But you get all the EPA mandated stuff and the ECM control as well. In the trucking industry, the FMCSA had to impose a rule that barred truck owners from buying a new Glider kit and putting their pre 4 engines in them. Truckers know how bad the EPA regs are.
I have heard of that before. I was joking with my dad and was saying the tractor would stay on the farm and become the first part of his tractor collection!

Kubota M110X

Equipment
Oct 17, 2020
Ontario
For a machine that's doing real tractor work, running at target revs most of the time, EPA stuff is less concerning. And generally the emissions controls work better on the larger machines. If you're putting that many hours on a machine, I'd get the newest and lowest hour machine you can afford.

On fixing before selling - maybe, maybe not. If you're doing the work to fix it yourself, probably yes (because you'll get back more than you spend). If you're paying a dealer to fix it, better to trade it to a dealer, they'll fix it with their own money (and without dealer margin) then sell it. It probably depends what's wrong and how much you like fixing machinery, but my guess is you're better selling it to someone who likes fixing things and wants the challenge. They'll save a bit of money, you'll avoid having to fix it.

On your specific question of: "What new-ish Kubota models are equivalent to the M9540", I don't know - I live at the small tractor end of the market. But I'm sure someone knows. I think I hear:
  • A newer or lower hour M9540 - you're putting a lot of hours on, you can probably find one similar age to what you have but with 1-2,000 hours if you look. That'd be good buying if you don't need new features, and it would avoid emissions controls
  • An M5-111 as you suggest, it would have emissions, and given it looks like you'll work it hard for 6 years then sell it, I'd suggest emissions aren't a big problem - they won't have time to go wrong/wear out/break, and you'll be keeping the engine and exhaust hot so you won't even notice they're there
I suspect there are other similar models and people on here could suggest what's good, bad or indifferent about each of them.
Ok thanks!