What to make out of the corrosion showing at around valve stem?

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Geez, from the title, I thought valve stem as in cylinder head…. 🤦‍♂️ I think that I am spending too much time in the innards of my motorized toys.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To me the down side / concern really is will it get used enough not to have trouble keeping things fresh and not gumming up the carb…I am sort of more worried about it not getting much use and the continued problems with that scenario…probably not good for it to sit.
I have found that buying NON-ETHANOL gas for using in seldom run carbureted engines really helps them stay running and adding a stabilizer is even better for longer periods of storage.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have found that buying NON-ETHANOL gas for using in seldom run carbureted engines really helps them stay running and adding a stabilizer is even better for longer periods of storage.
True - I use non-ethanol in everything but the pickup.

When my father still had the Moline, he would buy 5-6 cans of ethanol gas every spring. Kept it all until the following spring….

I was chasing a water in the gasoline problem with the Moline this summer. Not necessarily due to the ethanol gas from a few years ago, but certainly didn’t help.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
can't buy non-ethonol gas here in Ontario any more.....
You probably can buy it at your local airport fixed base operator, unless they refuse to pump it into your can.
Non-ethanol is NOT approved for light aircraft use.
MA has outlawed non-ethanol also, but they willingly fill my cans at the local airport.
Local fire depts. also buy there, for portable generators, and chain saws.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Contrary to what Geohorn said, NO tractor ,either the old ones without any features or the new ones fully loaded with the 'latest and greatest' safety features has ever killed anyone. It's the inept operators,the 'machoman' idiots, the 'I don't need to read no stinking book' guys that kill themselves. Everyone who cuts grass SIDEWAYS on a hill is playing 'Russian routlette', even though it's well KNOWN, you're not supposed to work a hill that way same as you're ALWAYS supposed to shut down the tractor, disengage the PTO before clearing the crap that's causing a problem.
Most of the older tractors have been safely used by millions of farmers for generations, working 100s of millions of acres with only a few blisters and sunburns.
I've had 30-35 tractors on and off for 3 decades, the ONLY one with ANY 'safety' features is the BX23S. It's quirky seat switch is a PITA sometimes and I've eliminated the too tall ROPS. The ROPS height is interesting as IF it was designed for the 'suburban garden tractor' group it SHOULD be able to drive into a garage without folding it down. Kinda wondering now how many ROPS are folded down while in use ?
As for maintaining something you don't need, I really didn't need 5 tractors and a combine on my 1/3rd acre but heck a guy has to have a hobby AND there's safety in having a 'backup' and a 'spare' tractor when #1 breaks down !!
Roll Overs are not always from mowing on a hillside. The fact that these old tractors have high center of gravity and gear-transmissions, live PTOs and no operator protections results in “overturns” and shredded body parts. Yes, generations have successfully used them, but that doesn’t mean they are good machines for modern use, and generations have been maimed and killed by them in what is termed “accidents”….because certainly no one does it on purpose.
Getting used to operating your modern tractor and then switching out to an old Ford (or other) can get you or a loved oe dead or permanently maimed from even a momentary lapse of attention.

Just sayin’….. think about if your really NEED this thing sitting on your property that YOU are responsible and liable for.

I used and maintaied my 9N for twenty years and it was very useful…but when I got a more modern Kubota…. I GAVE that fine-running N-Ford away.

according to the The Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health at the University of Iowa):

• Tractor overturns are the leading cause of fatal injuries on U.S. farms, resulting in an average of about 130 deaths each year.
  • One in 10 operators overturns a tractor in his or her lifetime.
  • 80% of deaths caused by tractor overturns involve experienced operators.
  • One in seven farmers involved in tractor overturns is permanently disabled.
  • Seven of 10 farms will go out of business within five years following a tractor-related fatality.
Then there are non-overrunning PTO propeller accidents.

And no seat belt is why the kid across the lake from me was wiped off the seat and run over by the shredder a few years ago.

Just sayi’n….. Do you really want this thing…?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Roll Overs are not always from mowing on a hillside. The fact that these old tractors have high center of gravity and gear-transmissions, live PTOs and no operator protections results in “overturns” and shredded body parts. Yes, generations have successfully used them, but that doesn’t mean they are good machines for modern use, and generations have been maimed and killed by them in what is termed “accidents”….because certainly no one does it on purpose.
Getting used to operating your modern tractor and then switching out to an old Ford (or other) can get you or a loved oe dead or permanently maimed from even a momentary lapse of attention.

Just sayin’….. think about if your really NEED this thing sitting on your property that YOU are responsible and liable for.

I used and maintaied my 9N for twenty years and it was very useful…but when I got a more modern Kubota…. I GAVE that fine-running N-Ford away.

according to the The Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health at the University of Iowa):

• Tractor overturns are the leading cause of fatal injuries on U.S. farms, resulting in an average of about 130 deaths each year.
  • One in 10 operators overturns a tractor in his or her lifetime.
  • 80% of deaths caused by tractor overturns involve experienced operators.
  • One in seven farmers involved in tractor overturns is permanently disabled.
  • Seven of 10 farms will go out of business within five years following a tractor-related fatality.
Then there are non-overrunning PTO propeller accidents.

And no seat belt is why the kid across the lake from me was wiped off the seat and run over by the shredder a few years ago.

Just sayi’n….. Do you really want this thing…?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am obviously NOT safe!
Apparently,..... I should always wear an army helmet, seat belt, and bullet proof vest when I ride my 8N Ford .:(
The very same 8N Ford, that I have owned and used for over 50 years!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am obviously NOT safe!
Apparently,..... I should always wear an army helmet, seat belt, and bullet proof vest when I ride my 8N Ford .:(
The 8N Ford, that I have owned and used for over 50 years!
Hey! I LIKE the N-Fords…. Don’t get me wrong …(or let me be too hard on the model)… it’s a Staple as far as tractors go.

I’m only thinking that the OP has two tractors and has bought a piece of land and the seller has no need for the little Ford and wants the new land owner to take it off his hands because he has no inclination to sell it himself…. and a guy with two tractors might just think about backing-off for a moment and think about “Needs” versus “Wants”…. when the “Wants” isn’t likely to improve the capability but carries a bit more concerns in the maintenance and operations dept’s.

I have, on occasion, thought how handy it would have been for the little 9N I had to still be sittin’ out here with a blade on the back so I’d not have to switch implements when i want to blade the road…. but I’m also remembering the new front rims I had just-bought because the old ones were rotted-out, and the new tires/tubes those new rims needed…and the new battery…. and the radiator i’d replaced the year before….. etc etc.
Anyway…. the much newer Kubota does the jobs much better…and I don’t have the maintenance of that Ford any longer…..

If the man wants a third tractor to maintain and it’s idiosyncrasies … go for it!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

I do basically the same thing.

Except, all of my gas cans get filled with Rec. Gas, and I add stabilizer to every can as well.

This way I never have to worry, or think about, which "thing" has been "Winterized/Summerized"

Costs a few bucks a year extra, but it's worth it to me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My point was that IF the OP has the extra cash ($1500) laying around, buying the 8N is a good investment. It's a running tractor he could use now and probably resell in the future and make a profit. No different than buying a cheap muscle car,get tired of it, resell as 'they' are popular. 8Ns have a 'cult status' amongst tractors, same as Allis-Chalmers G do.

While he may no 'need' it, having a backup or dedicated tractor is a good thing. One of mine was only used ONE day of the year, to pickup/load ONE giant pumpkin. Did I 'need' it ,no ,heck not even MY pumpkin BUT it was a lot easier than using any of the three others I had at the time.

My impression is he's sitting on the fence, the pointy part. Can see pros and cons to the 8N purchase, wants a gentle nudge in the right direction ( buy it ). Better yet, ask the 'bank' aka wife, problem solved !!

Don't get me going on tires ! I've put one set of fronts on my A-C D-14,23 years ago...THREE sets on my BX23S in 4 years and ANOTHER pair come spring, so newer or 'Kubota' isn't always better.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My point was that IF the OP has the extra cash ($1500) laying around, buying the 8N is a good investment. It's a running tractor he could use now and probably resell in the future and make a profit. No different than buying a cheap muscle car,get tired of it, resell as 'they' are popular. 8Ns have a 'cult status' amongst tractors, same as Allis-Chalmers G do.

While he may no 'need' it, having a backup or dedicated tractor is a good thing. One of mine was only used ONE day of the year, to pickup/load ONE giant pumpkin. Did I 'need' it ,no ,heck not even MY pumpkin BUT it was a lot easier than using any of the three others I had at the time.

My impression is he's sitting on the fence, the pointy part. Can see pros and cons to the 8N purchase, wants a gentle nudge in the right direction ( buy it ). Better yet, ask the 'bank' aka wife, problem solved !!

Don't get me going on tires ! I've put one set of fronts on my A-C D-14,23 years ago...THREE sets on my BX23S in 4 years and ANOTHER pair come spring, so newer or 'Kubota' isn't always better.
Flipping 8Ns is a loosing business model.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey! I LIKE the N-Fords…. Don’t get me wrong …(or let me be too hard on the model)… it’s a Staple as far as tractors go.

I’m only thinking that the OP has two tractors and has bought a piece of land and the seller has no need for the little Ford and wants the new land owner to take it off his hands because he has no inclination to sell it himself…. and a guy with two tractors might just think about backing-off for a moment and think about “Needs” versus “Wants”…. when the “Wants” isn’t likely to improve the capability but carries a bit more concerns in the maintenance and operations dept’s.

I have, on occasion, thought how handy it would have been for the little 9N I had to still be sittin’ out here with a blade on the back so I’d not have to switch implements when i want to blade the road…. but I’m also remembering the new front rims I had just-bought because the old ones were rotted-out, and the new tires/tubes those new rims needed…and the new battery…. and the radiator i’d replaced the year before….. etc etc.
Anyway…. the much newer Kubota does the jobs much better…and I don’t have the maintenance of that Ford any longer…..

If the man wants a third tractor to maintain and it’s idiosyncrasies … go for it!
You got it right George!
My 8N is the 3rd tractor in "my stable"