What is this fitting called and thread type?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I want to replace the hoses on my hydro side link and the fitting on the link end is shown.
MNPX threads into the elbow fitting on the link but it has a flat face not lipped link these.
Anybody know?
NPX fitting in the background in 4th pic
Look like male NPT and female NPT swivels. But the other is a mystery to me.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Almost certain that what you have is BSP (British Standard Pipe) fittings. The one with a nut is BSP female swivel, the other looks like BSP tapered male (BSPTM). They use a 60 degree cone to seal. Fairly common in some countries and on some (older?) Japanese machines. A reliable fitting despite the age of the design, better than NPT tapered fittings. But if you have other styles of fitting on the machine then probably worth replacing with those or JIC cone or SAE flat face which I understand are more common in north america and just as or more reliable.

The information on BSP fittings at Hydraulic Fitting Thread Chart | Hydraulics Direct is woefully inadequate, so it is not a good guide for determinining if it is a BSP fitting. If you think you have BSP fittings and want better specs I'll try to find something.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Almost certain that what you have is BSP (British Standard Pipe) fittings. The one with a nut is BSP female swivel, the other looks like BSP tapered male (BSPTM). They use a 60 degree cone to seal. Fairly common in some countries and on some (older?) Japanese machines. A reliable fitting despite the age of the design, better than NPT tapered fittings. But if you have other styles of fitting on the machine then probably worth replacing with those or JIC cone or SAE flat face which I understand are more common in north america and just as or more reliable.

The information on BSP fittings at Hydraulic Fitting Thread Chart | Hydraulics Direct is woefully inadequate, so it is not a good guide for determinining if it is a BSP fitting. If you think you have BSP fittings and want better specs I'll try to find something.
NPT and BSP female swivels both seal on a 30 degree chamfer (60 degree included angle) on the end of the male fittings. Here is an NPT example. If you have thread gages the best way to ID BSPP is by the flank angle. BSPP uses Whitworth threads with a 55 degree flank angle while NPT flank angle is 60 degrees.

BSPP (G thread) is widely used for hydraulics in Asia and Europe and even today Kubota tractors are loaded with it. They do not generally use BSPT (R thread).

Dan

20220422_173233[1].jpg

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Thanks for all the feedback; I was looking over a thread chart on another hydraulics site and did determine that it is BSP, now I have to determine if it it T or P style.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for all the feedback; I was looking over a thread chart on another hydraulics site and did determine that it is BSP, now I have to determine if it it T or P style.
If it is BSP the male fitting will be BSPT and the female swivel will be BSPP. May I ask how you determined it was BSP?

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
From the photo it looks like the male fitting has taper thread, not parallel. If it is it taper you will be able to see the taper by eye, or hold a ruler along the outside of the thead and it will be obvious.

BSP male fittings with the inverted cone are often available as BSPP (BSP parallel). Made like that so they will fit BSP female parallel ports on valves and other components (using built-in O ring or bonded seal washers to seal) and because they are parallel not taper, it doesn't risk cracking the port which can happen if a taper fitting is done up too tight.