What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
This is a reprint of an article I wrote over on the GTT forum a few years ago, I thought it might be well received here as well, perhaps even maybe made a sticky for newer users/operators.

I will do my best to duplicate the same info, but I can't attach inline pictures and some links are dead now so I hope it all makes sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start by saying that this subject is often hotly debated. It is my intention to provide what I believe to be facts, and I will back them up by providing links and references when possible. It is not my intention to cause any controversy or flame wars.

A few definitions from the Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online dictionary:

Ballast - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
: a heavy substance placed in such a way as to improve stability and control (as of the draft of a ship or the buoyancy of a balloon or submarine)

: something that gives stability (as in character or conduct)
Fulcrum - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
a : prop; specifically : the support about which a lever turns
So, this relates to us and our tractors how? Well, the ballast is what we use in the rear of our tractors to offset the weight that we often place on the front-usually with a FEL. The fulcrum or pivot point is the place on the tractor which balances the weight of the load on the front and the weight on the rear. I will illustrate this using example of forklifts since they are easier to find pictures of.

Here is rather good description of what we are talking about taken from this link: Sorry link is dead now:
The forklift is basically like a child's see saw, the load that is picked up is counterbalanced by a counter weight at the other side. If the load is too heavy for the counter weight then it will pivot at the fulcrum (the forklift will tip over forwards). Careful consideration must be taken to get the load as near to the fulcrum as possible as any gap here will be exaggerated and the forklift will not be able to pick up as much.
What we do not want on our tractors-is for all the weight of the load and tractor on the front axle, and that will happen if the rear wheels come off the ground and the front wheels become the fulcrum or pivot point as the pictures clearly show. Four main reasons we want to avoid this are:
1) The front axle is not rated to carry that amount of weight and can fail either quickly, or slowly over time with leaking seals or worn bearings, knuckles and ties rod ends.
2) The front axle pivots at the center, so the tractor could "fall" over to the left or right casing a tip-over condition.
3) We only have brakes on the rear axle, so when it gets light then we loose braking ability. we also loose traction as the rear wheels get lighter.
4) It's much harder on the steering system.

In the forklift examples above, they show the fulcrum or pivot as the front wheels-but they are designed for that and generally the front wheels do not steer on a forklift-whereas we want to move this fulcrum or pivot further rearward so the the rear axle will carry the majority of the weight. How can that be accomplished? The ONLY way is to add weight BEHIND the rear axle. Loading the tires will help with traction and stability, but will not necessarily properly ballast the machine because that weight is already on the ground-it will not become "ballast" until the rear tires are lifted off the ground-and by then it's to late!

Attachments

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
All this is just theory, show me some evidence!

OK, here is some...

This was posted elsewhere, but I do have written permission from the owner to use these pictures here.

Some details/facts:

Tractor: John Deere 4105
Loader: John Deere 300cx
Bucket: http://fieldquip.com.au/products-pag...4-in-1-bucket/ It is 6' wide and weights in at about 660 pounds!
R4 tires, NOT loaded
Rear implement: A "ripper" of unknown weight.

So, lets analyze this a little:
The bucket is way to heavy, it alone is about 400 pounds heavier than the stock bucket, and weighs almost half of the lift capacity alone. The ripper is probably about 150 pounds at best. You can see that when the operator started down the hill, the rear end got so light that it just went over into a endo, and the entire weight is now resting on the front axle and the FEL/bucket. Obviously during this transition ALL the weight was on the front axle for a short time, you can also see that the front wheels "folded" over. The owner/operator is very lucky the tractor did not tip over!
Had this operator been more experienced, he could have just lowered the FEL slowly, but he panicked-and got off the machine to get help and take pictures-lucky for us . With more experience, he also probably would have had the bucket lower while traveling, or even backed down that steep hill.

The owner is new to tractors-this is his first one. The dealer sold this setup to him, so who is really at fault? My answer is BOTH, here is why:

Dealer: He should known better, and understand the product he sells and what's all needed to make it work properly and safely. He should have known the bucket was to heavy, and that the owner did not have proper ballast (the ripper). He should have informed the owner about the problems using that bucket and advised him not to buy it even it meant loosing a sale. A injured, paralyzed or dead customer will not be good for repeat business.

Owner: He should have read the manuals that where included with his equipment, and stopped when things did not feel right.

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Never, ever, ever underestimate the importance of having rear ballast!

This picture was posted on another forum, I am unable to verify the identity of the person or where it came from, it may be a good photochop for all I know! But, it does further help illustrate the point that not having enough rear ballast is dangerous. The man in the picture could have easily been injured from being thrown forwards like that against the steering wheel, or even thrown off of the machine if the front wheels had turned.
It "looks" like he drug the pallet off the trailer, and as soon as it cleared it crashed to the ground raising the rear up...the "see-saw" effect I described in the first post's. The post hole digger on the 3PH is clearly not enough ballast-not even close.

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm beginning to think you should have to pass a test before you are allowed to purchase or drive a tractor.
There aren't enough stickies or tests to compensate for people who don't think things through, ask before doing, or won't read the owner's manual.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Never, ever, ever underestimate the importance of having rear ballast!

This picture was posted on another forum, I am unable to verify the identity of the person or where it came from, it may be a good photochop for all I know! But, it does further help illustrate the point that not having enough rear ballast is dangerous. The man in the picture could have easily been injured from being thrown forwards like that against the steering wheel, or even thrown off of the machine if the front wheels had turned.
It "looks" like he drug the pallet off the trailer, and as soon as it cleared it crashed to the ground raising the rear up...the "see-saw" effect I described in the first post's. The post hole digger on the 3PH is clearly not enough ballast-not even close.
That pic reminded me of a time, a while ago, when I was estimating a lawn mowing job. I was writing up the estimate while watching a crew of hispanic workers trying to unload a BIG boulder, from the side of a flatbed truck, with a dingo loader. This rock had to weigh somewhere above 6-800 lbs, the whole crew was on the truck, rolled this rock onto the forks, laying on the truck bed. As soon as the forks cleared the side of the truck, as he was backing up, the rock came down and the hapless hispanic, on the loader went up. Guys on the truck managed to catch the flying guy, kinda, he banged his head pretty good, on the opposite side rack, though. Things you see when you don't have a camera...:D:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Things you see when you don't have a camera...:D:D
I was working on a new apartment complex years ago. Was sitting in the truck eating lunch and watched a crew of Latinos set up to stucco the side of the building. They set up a big step ladder, ran a 2x 10 through the top rung, set some bundles of shingles on one end of the board, with the guy working on the other side :eek:

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
Kubota rear weight box,fill it with sand,and good to go!On old rubber tired heavy equipment years ago,we used to put lead shot in the tires for ballast.Better than fluids,but once it's in ,it's in.