What in the heck is this on my intake?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Why is there a line going from the fuel filter pair directly to the intake nipple.... was doing a modification and was like..... ok so unless I'm mistaken this is going to just suck a little diesel into the intake at all times.

Really primitive lift pump?

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What are we working on?

Make/model/engine # would be helpful……

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
What are we working on?

Make/model/engine # would be helpful……
Perkins engine, I like old engines so had many posts about it. Was doing some repairs and noticed this.... honestly looks like an ether line somone got confused and hooked to fuel

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Deutz air cooled diesels have a similar set up. It's a fuel fogger and used as a cold start aid.

How well it really works.... that's up for debate.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Deutz air cooled diesels have a similar set up. It's a fuel fogger and used as a cold start aid.

How well it really works.... that's up for debate.
Does it ever stop fogging? This is direct connected plus is not fed any pressure so...... seems like it should have a valve so it stops

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Does it ever stop fogging? This is direct connected plus is not fed any pressure so...... seems like it should have a valve so it stops
That's why I said "if it works properly.

The ones on the deutz engines are hooked to a relay that's only energized when the key is in the start position to crank over the engine.

I'm not sure how it's set up on the Perkins engine.

The ones on the deutz engines never really worked very well. I would usually disconnect the relay and clip the wire going to it. The relay was prone corrosion, then would cause a parasitic drain to the battery.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
That's why I said "if it works properly.

The ones on the deutz engines are hooked to a relay that's only energized when the key is in the start position to crank over the engine.

I'm not sure how it's set up on the Perkins engine.

The ones on the deutz engines never really worked very well. I would usually disconnect the relay and clip the wire going to it. The relay was prone corrosion, then would cause a parasitic drain to the battery.
Sounds like a delete.... actually it'll be on the pressure side of the turbo now the valve will be pushed closed so I could just leave it there lol.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Normally would have been a glow plug type ignitor thing that would screw into the large hole in the intake. Is there a "spare" wire hanging out anywhere in the general area?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Considering theres nothing to ignite the flame or stop the heater I'd say now it's either a drip into the intake or do nothing at all thing now
Normally would have been a glow plug type ignitor thing that would screw into the large hole in the intake. Is there a "spare" wire hanging out anywhere in the general area?
Nope although I thought the thing on the inside had a spring but it could be a heating element. With nothing to turn this on and off I wonder what it does most times. It must have some sort of a check valve or the fuel pump would pull air.

I see no wire, dosen't mean it didn't corrode off or attach in some weird way

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why is there a line going from the fuel filter pair directly to the intake nipple.... was doing a modification and was like..... ok so unless I'm mistaken this is going to just suck a little diesel into the intake at all times.

Really primitive lift pump?
I’m thinking it may be an evaporative-emissions-control method.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Nope although I thought the thing on the inside had a spring but it could be a heating element. With nothing to turn this on and off I wonder what it does most times. It must have some sort of a check valve or the fuel pump would pull air.

I see no wire, dosen't mean it didn't corrode off or attach in some weird way
Thermostart? Our Ford has thermostart that uses fuel to preheat the intake. I've never traced it, since the engine starts instantly I assume it's working.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Thermostart? Our Ford has thermostart that uses fuel to preheat the intake. I've never traced it, since the engine starts instantly I assume it's working.
Wouldn't there have to be a way to ignite the fuel? Maybe it's some super clever old timey thing

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Wouldn't there have to be a way to ignite the fuel? Maybe it's some super clever old timey thing
My understanding is there's an electric heating coil. When it gets hot, it heats a bimetallic strip that opens a valve that dribbles fuel on the hot element, setting it aflame and voila, intake heat.

Our Ford starts so quick, I doubt it ever heats up.

Screenshot_20240129-194445-148.png

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That's definitely the thing. Just missing the electric part
The 3930 doesn't have a preheat position, I assume it's powered in the start position. My BIL's Ford 1520 has a preheat position (and needs preheat to start), but I don't know if it has thermostart, glow plugs, or ?.

Edit: the 1520's Shibaura has glow plugs.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
The 3930 doesn't have a preheat position, I assume it's powered in the start position. My BIL's Ford 1520 has a preheat position (and needs preheat to start), but I don't know if it has thermostart, glow plugs, or ?.
This starts fine anyways..... I could hook a wire to this if I wanted an easier start or not. Cool idea, looks like the wire and the spot to connect are gone. Smokey start sometimes..... I'm putting a turbo on it now though so that'll do something lol