What if your tractor needs change ?

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Suppose you buy a bx2380 or bx2680 and (hypothetically speaking) you move and your tractor needs change, why couldn't you order the right parts from Kubota to add a backhoe to a bx2380 or bx2680? Somewhere on this forum I read that you cant add a backhoe to a bx2380 or bx2680 Â… on a bx23s you can get a 3 point hitch kit Â…. so with the hoe removed from a bx23s, you can use a 3pt hitch but not the other way around with bx tractors ? I know you cud trade in your tractor but it cud possibly be cheaper to just buy and add the right parts to the tractor you have and is mostly paid off ? i guess the main reason for this question is because these tractors are expensive and the more you order , the price goes up fast. i dont have need of a backhoe now but were always looking at properties to move and maybe my next house(property would require a backhoe). A bx23s straight up is like $21,000 .... then add a mower, tiller, box blade ,$$$ , $$$ .

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The ones I buy, 21 grand is a down payment.... Heck, back in 2004 when I bought my last M9, the OTD price was 42 grand with nothing added but the bare unit. My M9HDCC3 with loader and 2 speed pto, optioned out was 53, which is a down payment on a new M3 today.

Economy of scale.

Of course a new pickup truck today is bumping 80.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Suppose you buy a bx2380 or bx2680 and (hypothetically speaking) you move and your tractor needs change, why couldn't you order the right parts from Kubota to add a backhoe to a bx2380 or bx2680? Somewhere on this forum I read that you cant add a backhoe to a bx2380 or bx2680 Â… on a bx23s you can get a 3 point hitch kit Â…. so with the hoe removed from a bx23s, you can use a 3pt hitch but not the other way around with bx tractors ? I know you cud trade in your tractor but it cud possibly be cheaper to just buy and add the right parts to the tractor you have and is mostly paid off ? i guess the main reason for this question is because these tractors are expensive and the more you order , the price goes up fast. i dont have need of a backhoe now but were always looking at properties to move and maybe my next house(property would require a backhoe). A bx23s straight up is like $21,000 .... then add a mower, tiller, box blade ,$$$ , $$$ .
Do you buy something that has the capability of using all those attachments or do you look at possibly another machine or machine rental? I've had my B3200 now for almost three years, bought used, and there have been a few times I could have used a backhoe, but for the additional 4 large, it would be a option that stayed disconnected 99% of the time. For me I'd look at either a rental for those needs or buying a small used excavator that is dedicated to the task.

For options, I went 3 point for my mower/brush hog which allows me to go 3rd party on your attachments vs a belly mower from Kubota. I feel you on the toys though, I'd like a disc harrow, land plane and a grapple but that toy fund is only so deep. The one option I regret not having with buying the B used was having a pin on bucket, not quick connect. Being new to tractors, it was not a big deal at the time. Now to add that it is still way cheaper than what it would have cost me to get that on the new L three years ago.

So yeah, no good options here. Save the BX as a finish mower around the house and for the little jobs and bite the bullet for a larger more capable tractor, or option up what you have. Good luck either way you go

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Fairly common occurrence, unfortunately. Needs can/do change. The best you can do is try to factor all needs wants before you buy. Just don't think that you're stuck with a machine, they can be sold/traded and they are likely to retain much of their value.

I purchased a brand new BX23 (TLBM) in 2006 for roughly 16-17K. Used that machine for 12 years including about 4 of those commercially. The commercial work easily paid for that machine the first year (part time landscaping business). 12 years later, and with many thousands of hours on the little BX23 I traded it in towards a new B2650 TLB.

Dealer gave me 10K for that old BX23 without any bickering, so my new rig out of pocket was about the same cost (17K). After 12 years with lots of use, I was still able to get roughly 60% of the original cost back out of it. These machines just don't depreciate like cars.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I think there is a Messicks youtube video on it somewhere, but the BX23s has a different subframe than the other BX models specifically to support the back hoe. I would appear to be a lot more significant than just ordering a few parts.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
BX23S with 60 mmm, 3pt hitch and SSQA, 19,800.

If your not going to use the backhoe alot, then go BX2680 and rent a mini ex whenever you need a hoe.

I started on a crashbox L, went to a midsize B class, then my BX23S. I have 16 acres but Im not a farmer. I have no use for ground engaging implements. It pushes snow, mows grass, pulls a bush hog, plants trees and is almost paid off...

Would I prefer a L3940 cab? Why yes, of course... do I actually need it? No...

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I think there is a Messicks youtube video on it somewhere, but the BX23s has a different subframe than the other BX models specifically to support the back hoe. I would appear to be a lot more significant than just ordering a few parts.
I saw that video, and I think Neil commented that it would be more cost effective to trade the machine for one that has a factor BH set up. Makes sense.

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
Unless you need to use one, a lot, I would/did not get one (hoe). For the $$ of the add on/set up, I can rent one and come out ahead.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I bought my BX23S last year, dealer asked if I wanted the MMM. I said NO ! First, it'd be a royal PITA to mount/dismount and remove loader, remove BH...yeesh.... I already have a 'grass cutter' and frankly for the cost of the MMM, I can buy a NEW 'grass cutter'.
OK, I assume most of you are younger and healthier than me so 'swapping' implements is no big deal....just wait a few years or have a bad fall THEN you'll know where I'm coming from.
I do have SSQA on the Kub though..make sit EASY to remove bucket,put on forks....THAT option was a nobrainer.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For you guys who, like me bought a pin-on and wishes he’d bought SSQA...

From another thread where I posted: I found a youtube video of a guy who makes a very simple QA that makes ordinary pin-on attachments into QA without a bunch of money or trouble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuktqggNDCw

The guy who made mine is Dan Heibert: danannah (at) gmail.com
ph: 20four-362-798four (Manitoba)

He made mine and shipped them and accepted paypal. (about $400 but mine were special one-off/custom-made due to special dimensions on my rare FEL.)

They are the cat's meow and didn't require me to modify anything. I leave the top pins in my attachments (bucket and pallet-forks mostly but ordinary pin-on attachments work without further expense or modification) and pick them up with the FEL and then install the lower pins ...and go to work! A few minutes to switch and no help required.