What an idiot! - wrong PTO Lever

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
The idiot being me in this case :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So. . ~60 hours on my BX25D, all doing snow clearing, and then landscaping this spring, and this weekend it was time to cut my grass for the first time. I uncrated the deck, lubed it, put it on, and had at it.

Got towards the end of cutting my front yard, and was kind of "getting comfortable". . . ya know where you start feeling like you're really getting the hang of it and you get a little cocky. .

Reached down without looking to disengage the PTO coming down a steep hill before I turned around on the street to mow back up the same hill, and somehow grabbed the wrong lever and pushed forward. Realized it was the wrong lever right away, because instead of just moving a little forward to come out of the detent and then back, it kept going forward, but it was too late.

My heart sank when I realized what I had done. Motor was turning 3k, PTO engaged, and I'd moved the select lever into the position where the rear would also be driven. .

I immediately assumed the worst I disengaged the PTO, got off, looked for fluid pouring out the bottom, but didn't see anything. Tried to shift it back into mid-only, but the lever was stuck in the now forward-most position (rear only). I restarted the tractor, engaged the PTO, disengaged the PTO, and the select lever was free to move again. Moves fairly smoothly between the 3 positions, sometimes getting "stuck" in rear only, but an engage/disengage of the PTO frees it up. I believe it was actually like that originally as well (sometimes getting stuck).

I drove it back up to my garage, took the cover off the rear PTO, and engaged it. Seems to turn ok. Makes a slightly varying noise when engaged, but it doesn't seem to be loading up or sticking, and the noise isn't one that sounds like grinding. Disengaged it, turned off the tractor, and I can freely turn the rear PTO shaft by hand. Rotates smoothly. Unfortunately, I don't have any rear-PTO implements to see if it works properly under a load. My snowthrower and deck both use the mid.

I looked at the WSM, and it looks like the rear PTO is on a big gear, driven by a smaller gear on a long shaft that always engages the larger PTO gear. The long shaft engages on the other end (front of the transaxle), only when the select lever is in one of the rear positions. It's not clear on the exploded view how the actual "selecting" happens, as in what engages the front-most part of that shaft (bevel gear mesh, splined shaft or what)

Anyone else wanna guess what damage I likely did or did not do, shifting the PTO select while the PTO clutch was engaged? I can't imagine I'm the only idiot that's ever done this.

On a side-note, since I don't own any rear implements presently, I zip tied that lever into the rear-most position so I never repeat that particular idiot move again :p

Last edited:

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Chances are everything is fine. It's a boneheaded move and one of those things to keep reminding you how easy it is to muck stuff up. Under no load that PTO should get up to speed real quick-like. The broken stuff happens when you DO have a load and you hammer on it. No load... Probably going to be ok. Not to say it's ok to do it all the time, but everything you checked seems ok. I'd just go with it and count your lucky stars.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahhhummm,,, I wont say your the first one to do that, there is a long and some what distinguished line that has proceeded you!! :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah - like the other guys said - you should be OK.

Just don't make a habit of it!;)

Trust me, I know that feeling oh-so-well myself!!:p

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Don't feel bad. I've reached for my 3pt lever and slid the trans past neutral and grided just barely against high range as it started rolling down a hill:eek: It happens. I've been thinking about getting one of those skull shift knobs to put on the 3pt lever:D. Even though my muscle memory knows where it is mistakes do happen.

Oh, and don't worry, you didn't do any damage under a no load condition.

Last edited:

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm gonna stop stressing about it, and hope it's ok, since I have no way of actually testing it :)

I gotta say, the 54" deck cuts damn nice. So much better than my old husqvarna 52". I do get rub with the 1.5" spacers and R4's if I bring the deck all the way up. Opinions were conflicting on this, and I wanted to go as wide as possible since I have a lot of steep ground to cover, but the 54" deck WILL HIT the R4's in the fully raised position. It's soo close to clearing, I may actually just grind the anti-scalp shaft carrier down a little on the one side and use a shorter retaining pin. In the meantime, I just don't raise the deck all the way. It clears fine at mowing height.

In case anyone else wants to apply my idiot-protection modification, here's what I did:

zip tie goes through both holes in the cupholder and then around the PTO select lever right at the top between the two bolts (so it can't slip up or down the shaft).