What am I getting into

apphunter

Jul 28, 2015
North Carolina
Good Morning,

This is my first post so if my terminology is wrong please forgive me. I have the opportunity to get a free b9200 with hydrostatic transmission and 4wd. I believe that makes it a b9200hsd? I don't know the year model. It is my grand father's and he has recently replaced it because the transmission is busted and the tractor won't move at all. The 4wd went out before the transmission did. This tractor was worked hard and probably not well maintained.

My grand father has agreed to give me the tractor for me to fix. I am not a mechanic by trade but I'm pretty handy and mechanically inclined. I have access to a wide variety tools. Am I getting in over my head? Will I be able to find the parts? That is my biggest concern.

I appreciate any advice or incite.

JD

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
JD,

If you are not afraid of a little hard work and putting up some $$ to get that sad piggy running again, you will likely rescue that machine from the junk heap, like so many of the members on this board have done. Good for you for at least trying. Kubota parts are not cheap. Your parts may not even be available. There are ways to get around this depending on alternative resources in your area. The important thing is you came to the right place to get good solid information.

I have not done major case-splitting work like you will have to do but, in your case, I would not hesitate as long as I had a place to work. You would not believe the horrid burned out wrecks guys have brought back to a wondrous second-life by tinkering their way through the problems. You'll need outriggers with wheels (essentially jackstands with wheels) to easily support the two halves after you separate them. They are not complicated or expensive to have welded up. Their are threads which detail them in use -with pictures. Once you split the tractor, your access to parts is relatively good -in most models.

You will have to get a Maintenance Service Manual (MSM) before you even grab a wrench. The trouble analysis may indicate you don't have to break the tractor in two. Or, it may indicate a common problem for the issue. There are resources here that may get you a MSM free if you tractor is one of the lucky ones listed.

Once you get the tractor project underway, posting pictures here will help those with experience see what you are up against and help you proceed.

Welcome to Orange.

Ray

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

mikeee54

Equipment
b6000 4wd
Jan 12, 2015
Out West
Advise.......Well once I was given a horse for free, I thought that was pretty cool even though I didn't know a thing about horses, bought a horse trailer and towed it 20hrs back to my home with me.

After I got back to my home about a week later its face had swollen up like a balloon which resulted in me calling out a vet for an emergency visit. After about an hour visitation the vet was wrapping up totaling his fees and I made some remark about the free horse, he laughed and said "there is no such thing as a free horse", and he aptly pointed out that I had probably spent much more than the horse would have cost (because it was free).

He also stated with great confidence that had I bought the horse it wouldn't have cost nearly as much, he said "you always buy the horse, never take one for free".

Now I didn't really buy into what he was saying at the time, but after a year of owning that free horse when a friend of mine said he would take it I did him a favor and sold it to him for a dollar, just so he wouldn't have to go through what I did lol.

Advise????.....I would advise you to give your grandpa a dollar!