Wells Ag canopy question

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I want to make a canopy for my L3800 and like the way the Wells Ag FOPS rated canopies look. Can someone with one of those tell me the thickness of the sheet metal used on top? I heard it was 18 gauge, but that seems on the thin side to me. Thanks!

-- Carl

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I cant help you but some place in here a guy made one from an old truck hood I think, and that's not really heavy stuff

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I cant help you but some place in here a guy made one from an old truck hood I think, and that's not really heavy stuff
I've seen that one, very clever!

The test for falling object protection is something along the lines of "drop a hundred pound weight on it from 30 feet up". By the time the weight hits it is going 30 mph, pretty good wallop! If I follow a design rated to withstand that test my canopy will have a better chance of keeping more than the sun off of me. That's why I'm specifically interested in the Wells Ag thickness.

-- Carl

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahummm if I was really worried about 100 pounds falling 30 feet and landing on my sitting position, I bet your sweet posturer, that old da would have a factory built and PE certified canopy,,lol..
Though I will add this, I have had the un-pleasurable task of investigating more than one fatality, due to faulty ROPS and cages that have not been certified by a PE.
If you are working under heavy objects that may fall, please don't do/ build something that you may place unjustified faith in, and have it fail. I know I'm singing to the boys in the band here, but I have seen to many things go wrong at the wrong time with sometimes fatal results.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Ahummm if I was really worried about 100 pounds falling 30 feet and landing on my sitting position, I bet your sweet posturer, that old da would have a factory built and PE certified canopy,,lol..
I'm not trying for that level of protection but figure it's better to follow a proven design than strike out on my own.

I avoid anything that looks suspicious, not just because of my skin, but because I don't want any dents in my nice shiny hood! Just put a rope over it and pull it down if it looks questionable. There are odd bits of branch that get hung up here and there that wouldn't be any fun to have drop in for a visit, though, and these are the guys I want something overhead for.

-- Carl