Well, THAT'S never happened before!

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Low front tire. it's had a slow leak for awhile and I realized it needed a squirt of air. Drove over to the shop opening and rolled out the air hose. Started to unscrew the cap and it seemed like it was going more turns than it should. I couldn't see around my big fingers and the valve guard. I thought maybe the cap was stripping or something so I kept going and the whole valve came off! all the air suddenly whooshed out and the bead broke. Had to dismount the darn thing to reseat the bead. I didn't even know the valve came off like that. Caps were metal and may have seized up. They are all replaced with plastic now.
I had no idea that adding a little air could be that hard.

Last edited:

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Sorry, didn't have to dismount tire from rim. Just had to jack up tractor, remove wheel to get the tire bead to reseat on the rim.
Impact driver is gone since I loaned it out last week to a buddy of course. 4 way wrench still works but takes longer.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, different valve types. Helps to put a little anti-sieze on the threads of the valve stem if you have metal caps. Plastic caps don't suffer from that issue but have others.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I too, have suffered the failure of tubeless valve stems. I've take the cap off, place the air chuck on and got the WHOOOSHHHHH as the pressure of my clumsy hands moved the stem off center! Broken stem Argh......

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
My entire stem would turn in the rim. Just put in tubes and no more problems.

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I had a couple of auction tires and rims on my mazda 2300, musta been in the sun too long, the rubber surrounding the metal inner part of the VS disconnected itself, right after I had aired up the tire, damned thing hit me in the back of the head as I was walking away!! put the spare on, it came from the same auction, same thing happened, 5 miles further down the road!:D:D

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Yeah, it was a strange feeling looking at this strange little brass cylinder and O ring in my hand as the last of the air went out, the tractor leans over and rolls the bead off the rim and the whole rig (loader was a foot or so off the ground) settles into a new position creaking and moaning- or maybe that was me moaning.
Oh well, all good now. Don't know if I still have the slow leak or not though.