Weird experiences you've had...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I went to Northeastern University, at that time almost 100% coop school. You did a 13 week semester then a 13 week curriculum related job for the last 4 years of schooll (5 yr program). My coop job was at MIT's Instrumentation Lab in Cambridge. I worked with the engineers and techs. They gave me a tech bench setup to do my work. It was complete with test gear, soldering station etc.

My 1st day I was greeted by the other techs and shown to my bench. They told me the switch for the 115volt outlets was under the bench and just flip it on when I was ready to start work each day.

What they kind of forgot to tell me was they had taken a regular graphite pencil, stripped off both ends, attached a 115 zip cord to it and taped it to the underside of the bench and of course plugged it in.

They walked away, I sat down, flipped the switch . . . scared the living everything out of me. The sound, the flash and the damn smoke!
Somebody gave you a thumbs down! That person must not have a sense of humor...!!! (or maybe not a distorted one like we do...LOL)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
When I was a bachelor, I had one of those.:ROFLMAO:
Mine was similar to this one:
It did a pretty good lob, if you cut off the ends where the electrodes burned the weenie.

View attachment 89554
I was too poor. I used an old lamp cord, a couple framing nails and a chunk of 2x4. Used it for about a month and then inherited a cheap microwave

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I was too poor. I used an old lamp cord, a couple framing nails and a chunk of 2x4. Used it for about a month and then inherited a cheap microwave
That was an experiment that we got to eat in our introductory EE course. Had to measure current and voltage and plot power vs time on a paper chart. The area under the curve was watt hours or energy required to cook a hot dog. We had to submit the optimum energy required for a slightly crisp outer skin as judged by the prof.

Reactions: 1 user