Weights?

oldbear

Equipment
L3800, 5 ft rotary cutter, 7 ft finish mower
Aug 12, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
I've got an L3800HST with a brushguard on the front. Great little tractoe with good power, however when running my Landpride 5' rotary cutter or my Farm King 7 foot finish mower she's "light" in the front end. How much weight do y'all figure I need up front to hold her down? (Rear tires are fluid filled already). I've got (someplace) three of the old JD suirtcase weights (42 lb?) that I'm going to try tomorrow. Think that will do it or will I need more and if so, how much? Big K is sure Proud of their weights. The dealer quoted $450!:eek:. Thanks for your help and suggestions!!

elkhound

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3000DT
Oct 8, 2010
Wilkesboro N.C.
I have the same situation sometimes with my L3000DT when using a boom pole. I also have 3 suitcase weights, and at times wish i had 2 more. If after trying the three you have and decide you still need more check with everythingattachments.com. Not sure what they are asking but hopefully its less than $450.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I don't need any extra weight on the front of my L3800 mowing with a 5' Land Pride hog. Your mower must be a lot heavier.

Probably just 100-200 lbs is all that's needed.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Have ya ever just thouhgt about loading the front tires with water/antifreeze?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have an L3200, with a 5' Wards - yes, WARDS, as in Montgomery - bush hog on it. The front tires are filled. I added about 270lbs of weight to the front end, shaped something like a bumper. I ran a thread on it a few weeks ago. Kubota says you can put 275lbs of suitcase weights on it, so I figure I'm pretty good for weight. I have a hilly 10 acres, and without the weight turning, particularly up hill, can be a problem. With the weight it does quite well.
Because of their shape, Kubota's suitcase weights have to come off when the loader is on. I get to leave mine on all of the time. I take the loader off for bush-hogging or tilling...:D

oldbear

Equipment
L3800, 5 ft rotary cutter, 7 ft finish mower
Aug 12, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks guys.. I put three JD 20kg weights (now painted ORANGE!) on the front and it made a world of difference on the hills. Mowed a good bit with the 7 foot mower and it handled pretty well. I'd like another weight (it would hold four) but three was what I had available. Thanks again!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Thats what I would have done, use what you have.

Good to see another Ky boy on here too. I'm down by Madisonville.

Welcome aboard!

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA
I have an L3200, with a 5' Wards - yes, WARDS, as in Montgomery - bush hog on it. The front tires are filled. I added about 270lbs of weight to the front end, shaped something like a bumper. I ran a thread on it a few weeks ago. Kubota says you can put 275lbs of suitcase weights on it, so I figure I'm pretty good for weight. I have a hilly 10 acres, and without the weight turning, particularly up hill, can be a problem. With the weight it does quite well.
Because of their shape, Kubota's suitcase weights have to come off when the loader is on. I get to leave mine on all of the time. I take the loader off for bush-hogging or tilling...:D
Why do you take it off for tilling? Is that for maneuverability or is it weight distribution?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Why do you take it off for tilling? Is that for maneuverability or is it weight distribution?
My garden area is fenced in to keep out deer. If the FEL bucket is all the way up, the tractor wants to tip over. If it is down, it snags the fence. If it is off, it is Wonderful! After being stuck with the FEL on the old 185 for some 35 years, the quick attach feature of the new Kubotas is a godsend!