weight on the front?

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
been pondering just how much weight should be on the front? and what i mean by that is how much total down weight pressing on the wheels (tractor + front weights - implements on 3pt). i dont have power steering on my old girl (all though i sure have put thought into that) but just how much total weight would be to much? and aside from the kubota steering box being a week point is there other parts that can take a hit from tooooooo much weight? as it stands right now with out any front weight on my L-210 and a estimated 700lb finish mower raised on the back it only takes roughly 30lbs of force at the tail of the mower to lift the front of the tractor up, i currently use 200lbs of weight on the front but with out lifting the mower its a workout to turn the steering wheel, i dont mind it all that much just dont want to break anything.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My L1501 has a steel block up front-as wide as framerails and 1-1/2 " thick. My guess is around 40 lbs. i know its not much but some machines run loaders on them. So 100 lbs would help im sure.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I had the loader on my L185DT. The loader weighed 710 lbs with the 48" bucket. The CG with the bucket had to be in front of the tractor. There wasn't power steering, but it all seemed OK as soon as you started moving, even with 400+ lbs payload.
Keep the front wheels mounted narrow, and don't use spacers with them. I never had a problem with the steering, and my field is grass clumps that are really hard on both the tractor and driver.
I use a 260 lb front bumper on my new L3200DT and it makes quite a difference when the loader is off. That is about the same as 4-5 Kubota suitcase weights.
So, I wouldn't worry too much about another couple 1-1/4 plates.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
My old L245 (2wd no FEL) needed a couple hundred lbs on the front mowing with a 5' 400 lb bush-hog. Still didn't steer very well, was just too light up front.