wearing/rubbing sound

zerodog

Dec 22, 2012
United States
Just got a new L3800HST, warm it up properly, and in any gear H, M, or L, in two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, low RPMs and higher RPMs; when I go forward or backward (basically just driving the tractor), it makes a constant screeching/rubbing type of sound and it feels like it's laboring to move, like it's dragging. It feels like if you were driving a car with the parking brake on (and, I disengaged the parking brake on the tractor). Is this normal or something I have to get used to, or could there be a mechanical issue? thanks for any feedback. I'll call the dealer when then open.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just got a new L3800HST, warm it up properly, and in any gear H, M, or L, in two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, low RPMs and higher RPMs; when I go forward or backward (basically just driving the tractor), it makes a constant screeching/rubbing type of sound and it feels like it's laboring to move, like it's dragging. It feels like if you were driving a car with the parking brake on (and, I disengaged the parking brake on the tractor). Is this normal or something I have to get used to, or could there be a mechanical issue? thanks for any feedback. I'll call the dealer when then open.
From what you discribed it does sound as though the brake is on. When I first got mine I hate to admit but I forgot to take the break off a few times for a short distance (ouch) but it sounded just like you discribed. What I would do is jack the rear end up so both tires are off the ground and with the tractor in 2 wheel drive turn the tires by hand, in neutral and in gear. This should give you a good idea if something is wrong. Also try the front end although I doubt you'll find a problem there.