Water Heater T-stat

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have checked and triple checked all terminal connections and ohm and voltage readings. From the input here, from Flip and Jay and Michael, I am thinking it was a terminal connection that was loosened or oxidation build up over a period of time causing high resistance. Those are the only things that make sense. So far it is working, figure if there was an underlying issue it would have shown up. Thanks for going through this with me, always something living in the country.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
Well, obviously, run it until it dies. Hopefully, than is years away. I need to replace mine this week. It has sediment up to the lower element and is long for this world. Couldn't get it out.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Well, obviously, run it until it dies. Hopefully, than is years away. I need to replace mine this week. It has sediment up to the lower element and is long for this world. Couldn't get it out.
Did you happen to look at the Marathon water heater? I may spend the bucks and get one of those the next time I need a replacement, Menards stocks them. They are non metallic tanks so good for hard well water, not sure what kind of elements or stats they have so will have to do a bit of research and read more reviews.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
Did you happen to look at the Marathon water heater? I may spend the bucks and get one of those the next time I need a replacement, Menards stocks them. They are non metallic tanks so good for hard well water, not sure what kind of elements or stats they have so will have to do a bit of research and read more reviews.
No. I have a friend in the business said I should look at Bradford-White. But, they are twice as expensive as the ones at the big box store.

In the end, I rationalized that I'd fill the next one with sediment as well before it had other problems so, regardless of brand, I'd not keep it much beyond the warranty period anyway. So, just buy two cheap water heaters over time instead of one expensive one now. Electric cost is the same for both. My heater is an easy to get location, so R&R is trivial.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Over three weeks now and it seems to be working normally, knock on wood, so a faulty t-stat/reset or oxidation creating heat must have been the culprit.