Wasps/Hornets under a deck, but can't get under the boards

legbuh

Equipment
bx2680
Sep 28, 2020
mn
We have our 2 car attached garage with a deck on top of it. Those little hornets have been living under those boards forever. We just got the whole deck redone with trex and now that it's warm, we can see they are building new homes.

There is about 2-6 inches between the deck boarding and the roof above the garage (there are angled floating shims under the boards to level them, and still allow water to flow down to the gutter.

What would be the best way to get rid of them? I was thinking some sort of powder I could sprinkle on the deck then sweep into the gaps to get under there.. but I don't want it to stink real bad or hurt the rubber roof under the decking.

thanks for any ideas!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We had yellowjackets that were building nest in our garage walls. I used Delta Dust Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Dust, 1 LB with a Harris Diatomaceous Earth Powder Duster with 6 Inch Extension Nozzle.

Pumped it in the holes at night and three days later, all were gone. I have also used it to control ants by pumping it along the edge of the house and windowsills.

I'm guessing it would work for your needs, but I'm not an expert, just my experience with the product.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Those little hornets have been living under those boards forever.

What would be the best way to get rid of them?
Somebody has to give the sensible response. It might as well be me!

nuke it from orbit.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I have a similar deck on front porch and have had similar problem. What I found works for me is watching where they access the underside of board and lay a thick bead of foaming wasp/hornet spray in the gap area from a distance. They seem to always use the same access space to get to the nest. They are pretty dumb too, theyll fly right into the foam spray on deck.
The foam holds up for awhile so you have to reapply every 5 min or so but it knocks them off.

Reactions: 1 user

legbuh

Equipment
bx2680
Sep 28, 2020
mn
We had yellowjackets that were building nest in our garage walls. I used Delta Dust Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Dust, 1 LB with a Harris Diatomaceous Earth Powder Duster with 6 Inch Extension Nozzle.

Pumped it in the holes at night and three days later, all were gone. I have also used it to control ants by pumping it along the edge of the house and windowsills.

I'm guessing it would work for your needs, but I'm not an expert, just my experience with the product.
Ya, that may work. Until it rains. Then I expect the powder will all just wash away down the gutter. :) worth a try!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We have our 2 car attached garage with a deck on top of it. Those little hornets have been living under those boards forever. We just got the whole deck redone with trex and now that it's warm, we can see they are building new homes.

There is about 2-6 inches between the deck boarding and the roof above the garage (there are angled floating shims under the boards to level them, and still allow water to flow down to the gutter.

What would be the best way to get rid of them? I was thinking some sort of powder I could sprinkle on the deck then sweep into the gaps to get under there.. but I don't want it to stink real bad or hurt the rubber roof under the decking.

thanks for any ideas!
I would not be concerned about any powder or liquid insect killer damaging your EPDM roofing.
That stuff is almost "bullet proof".

• Dislike

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you can see the nest, wasp spray foam. Worse case very quickly make an opening after dark.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
See where they are going into the nest during the day. Spray with a focus on that area at night. I like Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer. It has a longer stream than the foams.

legbuh

Equipment
bx2680
Sep 28, 2020
mn
See where they are going into the nest during the day. Spray with a focus on that area at night. I like Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer. It has a longer stream than the foams.
It's a deck.. there are many places they are going in an out between the gaps.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I am deadly allergic to bee sting. Wasp got under my front door sill. I called the local pest control and wrote out a check. It took them several tries and a couple of different chemicals to get the little killers.
The people with the skill and big time chemicals can do wonders.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I am deadly allergic to bee sting. Wasp got under my front door sill. I called the local pest control and wrote out a check.
Good call. Nothing to play with if you are allergic.

I'm the opposite. I barely have a reaction from a sting. I guess all of those years as a kid of catching different kinds of bees in my hands and putting them in jars. Fyi, I'm not allergic to poison ivy/oak either last time I was exposed. NOTE: I don't try to get stung or play in poison ivy/oak any more. ;)

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Good call. Nothing to play with if you are allergic.

I'm the opposite. I barely have a reaction from a sting. I guess all of those years as a kid of catching different kinds of bees in my hands and putting them in jars. Fyi, I'm not allergic to poison ivy/oak either last time I was exposed. NOTE: I don't try to get stung or play in poison ivy/oak any more. ;)
Beware, Mother Nature is a cruel mistress !
I got stung often as a kid and never had an issue. In my late 40's I ran over a nest with the mover. Four quick stings and I did not worry. A few hours later and I was in the ER trying to breathe. Three stings since, with one to the ER and two to the doc-in-a-box. I have epi pens all over the place and I run like a little girl when I see a nest.
Wasp, hornets, and honey bees are scared to death of the wife..... my protector.

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
The yellowjackets start getting active when we are running the cider press while making apple cider we use a heavy duty shop vac to suck them up, then spray a couple of shots of Raid in to hose while it is running at the end of the day.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I'm getting allergic to yellowjackets. Those miserable little wasps take no prisoners if you get close to the nest. I ended up in the ER from a reaction of getting stung on my ankle. Neck broke out like hives and was swelling up.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I would not be concerned about any powder or liquid insect killer damaging your EPDM roofing.
That stuff is almost "bullet proof".
Many of the wasp & hornet sprays contain mineral spirits which will destroy an EPDM roof. The water based ones will be safe to use. Read the label.
B302CA9D-A9F3-4600-80DC-ACE2623B4613.jpeg
B10E3A12-0AAE-4BEA-9F79-7D85A6D2670C.jpeg

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a dry powder called Demon sold at Tractor Supply here. It comes in a foil packet and inside are little packets of the powder. You use one packet in a pump up sprayer and then the packet dissolves and you mix it in water.

Spray it into the cracks between the decking and it will dry up. The wasps should die off as they crawl across the residue. I use it to spray the foundation and outside walls of my home and do not have any wasp nests on the eaves or walls that stay active.

You may be able to find a spray tip that will fit between the boards and spray the underside of the boards also?

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
Could try a couple traps also. Win by attrition.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Beware, Mother Nature is a cruel mistress !
I got stung often as a kid and never had an issue. In my late 40's I ran over a nest with the mover. Four quick stings and I did not worry. A few hours later and I was in the ER trying to breathe. Three stings since, with one to the ER and two to the doc-in-a-box. I have epi pens all over the place and I run like a little girl when I see a nest.
Wasp, hornets, and honey bees are scared to death of the wife..... my protector.
Similar situation here. Got stug plenty as a kid but at about age 30 got stung by one yellow jacket and basically died then brought back to life by medics then in icu for a day. Had severe Anaphylactic shock. never heard of it before but since i have had a bug radar and very careful about venomous things. Im fat but i can run like a tuned athlete when i run into a hornet situation..lol