Wanted: Starter Rebuild Kit

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Here is an update, I am still looking for a rebuild kit and/or a replacement starter Kubota part number 17341-63010.

The continuing saga of the starter. It now works, spins the motor, everytime.

I took it back off, took it to the bench. Tried connecting a battery directly to the terminal going to the field/brushes. No movement. Took the brushes out, within tolerances. Took armature out, lightly sanded the plates. Sanded the commutator again. Put it back together again. Tried the battery again. This is a battery I just moved indoors from the trailer. No go. I was ready to scrap the starter. I tested the volts on that battery, 10.xx volts, not enough to drive the motor. I grabbed another battery I just moved indoors, from another tractor, this one has 13 volts. This one spun the starter motor.

Took the cover off the magnetic switch again. Cleaned the contacts again. Tested the ohms between different points, discovered that the plunger contact was not touching the input terminal contact, unless plunger contact was pushed very very hard down.

I removed that contact, put it in a vise and gently bent it up. Reinstalled the contact. Tested the ohms again. Seemed good to go. Put it all back together, installed in tractor, tried it.

I turned the key and it hit first time. Turn it off, tried again, it hit first time. Tried again same result.

I think I got it.

For the time being i have a working starter.

I definitely must find a rebuild kit or a replacement starter.

Boyde

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Golden eagle has it for $475, the part number changed to 17341-63010. In the future try searching kubota part dealer's websites, they usually have it or can order it. I would assume one could get a starter for anything with a little searching ;)

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I was hoping to find a replacement for the 17341-63010 from another manufacturer.

From my local Kubota dealer that part number is $505.00.

Thanks for the advise.

B

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Another update.

I have ordered a rebuild kit, it is in the mail, just incase I need it. My fix will not last forever.

I, also, have found a list of cross interchange starters that are built to the same specifications as the Kubota 17241-63010 and cost a whole bunch less.

Here are three:

Denso 128000-6640 $102.00 USD
Delco Remy 93555 $157.00 USD
HRE 72-18144N $158.00 CAD

Happy starting.

Boyde